News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Great Downrigger Servicing

Started by Markshoreline, September 17, 2012, 04:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markshoreline

On SFF's recommendation I took my two Scotty downriggers to Outdoor Emporium for service, since they were both having issues releasing line and uneven retrieve.  I got them back quickly, and they are functioning better than they ever have, so I'm really happy! 

For the past three years I've taken them elsewhere and they were always too tight and soon needed servicing again- also, I was told that the issue releasing line is just a Scotty thing and there's nothing to be done about it  :facepalm:

And just to make things better, at the other place I was charged $25- $45 for each downrigger, and OE charged just $10.00!  The service person was also very nice so this is just an all around great operation.

Now, if I can only find a similar quality service for my Shimano reels!!!

Mark
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

StreamFixer

Probably won't help much, but Ollie Damon, here in Portland, does great work.  I took one of the two belt drive Scotty DR's in that would not run at all.  About a week or so later I was called to come pick it up.  No Charge, all 'Warranty work', it is a Scotty after all.  I doubt there is anyone better with reels, at least in the northwest.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Hydro-Therapy

Markshorline you can send your Shimano back to the company for a total work over . They have a list of the charges depending on the reel. On there web site. My brother sent his in and it came back better than new.

On another note I will not trust another reel to Ollie Damon. If you see your reel back in a month or 2 and are not charged double you will be lucky if it gets the work it was suppose to.Or gets sent back the right address.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

Markshoreline

Thanks for the suggestions!

I had no idea Shimano performed maintenance on their reels... could have used that in the past!

Mark
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9