News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Looking for an Arima....

Started by leesfofc23, July 04, 2012, 03:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leesfofc23

Hi,

Please help, I am new to this forum. I was fortunate to found this forum and read a lot in this forum.   I'm looking into buying an Arima and found this on Craigslist.org.  This is my first boat and I hope I don't get anything that is a money pit, salvage boat, or has any major damages.  I spoke to a guy name Ron at Oregon City Marine and he said the person that own this boat passed away.  Person that owned this boat always has his boat service here.  I am going to meet with him Thursday morning. Odd for dealer to sell an arima at this price. Hopefully, it is not a salvage boat or has major damages that they are hiding. What do you guys think?

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/3113762602.html

Thanks
Shawn

woody

Oregon City Marine was an Arima dealer until about five years ago.  Handles other makes now.  I've dealt with them, have no complaints nor have I heard of any.

See it's a 110 Merc white ... probably same year as boat.  Respectable price and pictures look good.

Peek at it real close, if neded ask the boys in Portland to eyball it for you.

Woody

Danno

If I were home, I'd go with you but I had to go to Boston to move my daughter from there to Cleveland. I'll be home next week if you haven't made a decision yet. That dealer is less than 2 miles for me.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

StreamFixer

I could go with you too.  I'll be here for remainder of the week if you want to go take a close look drop me a PM.

Pro's:
Young enough to have all starboard interior
Factory fish table
Companion seat
price

Con's:
Looks like 2 stroke motor
no kicker
no electronics

Unknowns:

Condition of the motor (compression check)
actual condition of the boat

At the price called you may have found a really good deal.  If the motor has any kind of issues, that good deal could be not so good really quick.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Threeweight

A 19' hull with a good running two stroke is well worth that price.  My only question would be... has the motor sat for an extended period of time?  Can they fire it up and let you test drive the  boat?  Does it produce good power and get on plane quickly?  Have they compression checked it, and can they provide you with a copy of the results?  Are all the cylinders within 10% of each other?

If the motor runs well and is in decent shape, and the hull has no major signs of damage or abuse, the boat is well worth that price.  
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

First Cabin

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable with that power plant.  It has a long history of problems.  I just see lots of pain.  Although I love the boat and would like to have it, whoever purchases it better be ready for a $10k outboard upgrade in the near future.

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=1999 evinrude 115&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CFUQFjAA&url=http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=246207&ei=T9j0T6vJH8iqrQGp4dnPAw&usg=AFQjCNGT8xGbu_ij3NWbfIn_4mobsVCSsQ

First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Threeweight

That motor is the carbed Johnson 110, not the oil injected FICHT 115.  A gas guzzler and noisy, but reliable. 

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

strokersquid

if you like it get it. it is a great deal if the  motor runs. the 'rude Ficht motors of that year IN THE HIGHER HP RANGE had issues from prolonged idling, but NOT the 115 and if it was going to blow it would have done so by now.I have no qualms about a Ficht, my buddy has a 2000 135 which has been flawless. Before I lucked out on a 100 HP 4st Yammie on this forum, the 115 Ficht was the motor that i was looking for. if yours came with a kicker, then the PO did not likely troll with the main and you should jump on  this. if it is an oceanpro standard carbed Johnnyrude then i am not aware of any issues.

strokersquid

Quote from: woody on July 04, 2012, 04:13:17 PM
Oregon City Marine was an Arima dealer until about five years ago.  Handles other makes now.  I've dealt with them, have no complaints nor have I heard of any.

See it's a 110 Merc white ... probably same year as boat.  Respectable price and pictures look good.

Peek at it real close, if neded ask the boys in Portland to eyball it for you.

Woodywoody its a Johnny. don't know any issues with the carbed ones

First Cabin

Quote from: Threeweight on July 04, 2012, 05:24:22 PM
That motor is the carbed Johnson 110, not the oil injected FICHT 115.  A gas guzzler and noisy, but reliable. 

I stand corrected....  great ad....

Though I am still not crazy about the motor.  Buyer beware.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Threeweight

Agreed, it doesn't inspire confidence when the ad text differs from the boat shown in the pictures.  My guess is that since it is a consignment it is probably not receiving their full attention.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

strokersquid

if that were here i'd sell the 17, swap motors and go.

leesfofc23

Wow, thanks for the replies....I asked about the motor but he told me he was going to run some test and will get those numbers.  Honestly, I am a noob to boating.  I don't even have a boating license yet.  A veteran like StreamFixer and Danno volunteer to assist added confidence.  The wife is involve but she is concern about throwing more money.  Even with a bad motor, replacing it with a used descend Honda 90 shouldn't be too bad, correct?  Looks like he biggest concern is motor.

Thanks
Shawn

Seattleflyfisher

Ok, you need to go first thing tomorrow and see the boat. This price is very attractive and since it has been posted on CL people will be calling. Don't say I didn't tell ya :bigshock:

SFF

woody

Brain pfart!!!  Especially since I run a Johnson.

Woody

BigMac

Shawn,

It may be a good deal, but since you say you're a noob (nothing wrong with that), I would definitely get the PDX rats (Danno, Woody, StreamFixer, Threeweight, etc.) to go look at it. 

It would be better to lose a good deal than to get into a bad one.  You don't want to start out boating with a bad experience.

Good Luck.

(Dave)

strokersquid

lots of good used motors in the $4-5k region if you are not too pickey ( ie look at all 4st and di 2st in the HP range )

amazing grace

To me, that is a heck of a lot of boat for the money. Don't ask me how I know. I paid just about that for a boat 10 years older and No motor :doh:
 I bet he would come down close to a thousand. If the motor is any good, that is a bonus. If not, well not like you are paying for the motor anyways. But that is just me. I say take a stab at it. Boats like this one are hard to find.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

leesfofc23

I have a meeting with the boat first thing in the morning and StreamFixer will meet me there which will provide a lot of confidence on my behalf.  Forgot to mention that it is fuel injected.  Will definitely ask for a water test.  Be firm, don't drool, and not fall in love.  Never heard of a forum that willing to go this far for a stranger.  Thanks guys!!!

GregE

That's the same dealer we bought our SL 22 from.  It was on consignment but the salesman and mechanic did a good job with the prep and water demo on the Willamette.  Have fun with your journey of acquisition.   :smile1:

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Threeweight

Be sure to ask whether or not it comes with any electronics (sonar, gps, etc...)  If it does, note the model # and do some internet research to see how current they are.  Test the bilge pumps and make sure they work.  Russ can help you take a look at the wiring/switch panel and see how well done it is, and what kind of condition.  Check the state of the canvas... is it sun damaged?  Mildew?  Are the clear plastic panels still clear and flexibile, or clouded and cracking?

Also check the trailer, look for obvious signs of rust, cracks, condition of the rollers/bunks, etc...  Ask the dealer if they have, or will, be repacking the wheel bearings.

For a first time boater, you might want to consider downsizing slightly... you can likely find an older 17' Arima hull with a four stroke, in turn-key condition, for about the same, or slightly more, money.  It won't get you out on the ocean as easily as this boat, but for a first time boat owner you will probably want to stick to the Columbia and Willamette for your first couple years.  

I am guessing that even if the motor is in good shape, this boat is going to be a bit of a project just from sitting for years (new electronics, possibly new wiring, canvas, etc...).  For someone ready to take on a small project, it could be an awesome deal.  Just make sure you go into it with eyes wide open.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

StreamFixer

Just spent an hour or so with Shawn and his lovely wife looking the boat over.

No electronics of any kind including no radio, needs a good buff out.  Injected (FICHT) 2 stroke showing signs of salt under the cowl.  Shop not finished going through the electricals and motor so no sea trial until Saturday.

As expected hull & Arima components in very good condition except for cosmetics.  Canvas has some mildew on interior, however, does appear cleanable.  Plastic in good shape, not clouded or cracked.  Only one side curtain and no backdrop.  Crab davit and mounting being removed so needs to be replaced.

Roller trailer in excellent condition except for one rear light lens gone.  The only rust was in the bolts securing the crank to the post and that was superficial.

I did not dig into the wiring.  No non-stock Arima wiring observed.  Steering a bit stiff and bled fluid on my hand holding the actuator (not hooked into the motor)

This boat has obviously seen little use for the past few years, perhaps one outing per year.  Owner passed away from Alzheimers/Parkinsons last January.  Son selling.

No kicker.

For $12K, assuming the motor checks out, this would not be a bad buy, however, there would need to be some significant devotion of elbow grease to bring it up to snuff.  I would not classify this as a buy and run boat as is.

There was a 17 chaser (1993) in for maintenance that caught Shawn's eye.  Perhaps 3 wt's observation for downsizing was well said.  Most likely to be operated in the Sound as Shawn lives near Olympia.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

strokersquid

I still like those fights,the precursors of the etec.gas consumption like a 4 stroke and instant power. I would not avoid it due to the motor if the compression is good

leesfofc23

A good start and it was a fun learning experience from Russ.  Gave them my number when sea trial is ready.  Don't want to rush but the boat does required some elbow grease.  Here is another one from Denver that has a skip tower but the distance.

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/3029737759.html

Chuck Jones

I love that Denver boat, and it's an attractive lure, but your local one seems to be the best option for you given the price...provided the shop goes thru it and gives the engine their blessing.... and the fact that your elbow grease is free...plus it would give you some one-on-one time and the satisfaction of putting yourself into the restoration of your boat.  For me and my fishing partner LiverWurst, we find the time spent in doing projects is somewhat therapeutic and gives us some companionship...even though he can be a cranky old pfart...especially after he's been drinking.....water.  I brought some beer over during one of our projects, and I ended up drinking almost all of it.
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking