News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Weld on railing bases?

Started by DARice, April 17, 2024, 05:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DARice

The next step in my pilot house build is adding railings and rod holders. Longfield has agreed to do the fabrication for me--I'm stoked! I haven't yet been able to find weld on feet for the 1" SS tubing I plan to use. If any of you have someone in the business that you can ask for a source, that would be epic!

I'm looking for both 90 degree and 45 degree weld on bases for 1" round tubing, and backing plates.

Here's what I've learned so far...

I spoke with Whitewater Stainless Hardware, and they've discontinued their weld on bases for 1" tubing. Very nice person who really tried to help. Their bases are listed on Amazon and some marine retailers, but out of stock. https://www.amazon.com/White-Water-Marine-Stainless-Welding/dp/B075H34CJY/ref=sr_1_2

Haas has a 90 degree base, but not a 45 that I've found: https://e-rigging.com/products/90-degree-weldable-round-bases?variant=39964255682633

If the 45 degree bases are 'unobtainium' then the fallback is to use 90s for everything, that will result in the structure being 1-2" higher than I'd prefer given the minimum bend radius for the tubing, but not a showstopper.

Thanks!
Dave
2005 Sea Chaser 17 Pilot House, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9

Hydroman

Marine Depot Direct has 1" 45, 60 and 90 degree 316 SS weldable deck plates.
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Hunter

Have you considered going aluminum instead of stainless for your roof rails?

Also, how about a roof rack?  :)   

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

longfield1

I think we might end up cutting them out ourselves. I have a cnc plasma that will cut the shape we need with the holes. The mirror finish will have to be done by hand from the pickled finish stainless.
1993 Arima Sea Ranger custom pilot house, Suzuki DF140, Garmin Reactor 40 kicker autopilot

DARice

Quote from: Hunter on April 18, 2024, 11:08:23 AMHave you considered going aluminum instead of stainless for your roof rails?

Also, how about a roof rack?  :)   

Stir, stir, stir...

Yes, I considered aluminum, but decided to stay consistent with the other pipework on the boat, and have already purchased the SS rod holders.

In my initial PH roof design I had raised marine ply rails to carry pots and stuff that I would secure by tying off to the pipework, but I decided against adding them for now. I can add those later if I change my mind. However, having it on the roof itself rather than in a rack invites scraping off paint.

Dave

DARice

Quote from: Hydroman on April 17, 2024, 09:13:42 PMMarine Depot Direct has 1" 45, 60 and 90 degree 316 SS weldable deck plates.

Thanks Hydroman! I see round in 7/8", but not 1". Rectangular 1" in 45, but not 90. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Dave

Wiley

Find 45's put two together  :jester: = 90*
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

Tj805

All the rails I've built I just have the water jet guy cut the base plates for me . I get the inside hole cut out as well so the tubing goes inside the base plate . Makes the fab work easy for me .
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8