News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

My new to me tow rig

Started by Fisherdv, April 13, 2024, 08:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

My new to me tow rig. It's great off-road too!

2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

croaker stroker

Nice one! Is it lifted a bit? Looks like it would travel some rough roads. 
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Quote from: croaker stroker on April 13, 2024, 08:34:23 PMNice one! Is it lifted a bit? Looks like it would travel some rough roads.
Its got a leveling kit, 2" lift in front, 1" lift in rear. Also has 1 size up tires. Perfect for me as is.

AJFishin

Very nice taco, awesome and congrats!   :party017:  Looks like you're already putting it through it's break in.
I like the side steps, those have been on my radar for a while.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

croaker stroker

Quote from: Fisherdv on April 13, 2024, 08:36:51 PM
Quote from: croaker stroker on April 13, 2024, 08:34:23 PMNice one! Is it lifted a bit? Looks like it would travel some rough roads.
Its got a leveling kit, 2" lift in front, 1" lift in rear. Also has 1 size up tires. Perfect for me as is.

The tires and lift look great...not over done.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Quote from: croaker stroker on April 13, 2024, 10:26:25 PM
Quote from: Fisherdv on April 13, 2024, 08:36:51 PM

The tires and lift look great...not over done.
Thanks. I like a mild lift and just a little bit more tire. Not a fan of huge lift and tires.

Fisherdv

Quote from: AJFishin on April 13, 2024, 10:24:55 PMVery nice taco, awesome and congrats!   :party017:  Looks like you're already putting it through it's break in.
I like the side steps, those have been on my radar for a while.
Thanks AJ. I'm really liking the Taco. The side steps are nice. If I were doing more off roading, they may get caught up though from the steps hanging down.

Wiley

Following the proper break in procedure to. Perfect. Ride hard put away wet. !
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

Yachter Yat

Congrats, Fisher. I think you're going to love that truck. I had to rush to buy my new 2015. Call me a "traditionalist", but I wanted to get it before they came out with the Atkinson engine. Mine is a black 2 door extended cab. Best truck I ever owned. Toyota trucks and Honda outboards. From my experience, it doesn't get any better than that.  BTW, if you haven't already done so, check-out "Tacoma World". https://www.tacomaworld.com/

Have fun, Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Quote from: Yachter Yat on April 14, 2024, 09:57:59 AMCongrats, Fisher. I think you're going to love that truck. I had to rush to buy my new 2015. Call me a "traditionalist", but I wanted to get it before they came out with the Atkinson engine. Mine is a black 2 door extended cab. Best truck I ever owned. Toyota trucks and Honda outboards. From my experience, it doesn't get any better than that.  BTW, if you haven't already done so, check-out "Tacoma World". https://www.tacomaworld.com/

Have fun, Yat
Thanks Yat. I have been on Tacomaworld. Lots of info there.

JamesBee19791

Nice truck, congrats!
91 SC17, 19 Yamaha 115, 17 Yamaha 9.9

Fisherdv

PetitPoisson

Nice truck.  When I opted to downsize my RAM, I test drove a Tacoma.  I ended up with the Jeep Gladiator with the max tow package (7650 pound towing, bigger alternator, etc.).  The removable roof/doors is really what tipped the scale.  The Tacoma was a beautiful truck and I have little doubt that I would have been very happy with it.  What really surprised me was how big it actually is.  For some reason, I had it in my mind that it was going to be similar in size to my old Dakota (I've had a few of those).  When driving the Tacoma, there was shockingly little difference between it and the full sized RAM.  There was a big difference between the V6 in the Toyota and the HEMI in the RAM but that was about it.  With gas edging close to that $2/L mark, I really wanted a "smaller" truck.  Oddly enough, the Gladiator is built using the RAM chassis and axles (in the max tow version at least).  The body is a lot narrower making it feel like a smaller truck... but it's clearly not 😂. 

With the Gladiator, if I'm gentle, I can maintain under 11L/100km Hwy and average about 13.5L/100km overall.  With the HEMI, I averaged about 17.5L/100km so there's a substantial fuel difference between them (I really didn't need 400HP). I seem to recall I was around +/- 19L/100km towing the boat up from Oregon to BC.  Curious what your mileage in the Tacoma will be?
1990 19 Sea Ranger
1989 Mercury 150
1990 Mercury 15
2001 EZ Loader tandem axle

Fisherdv

Quote from: PetitPoisson on April 16, 2024, 08:29:18 AMNice truck.  When I opted to downsize my RAM, I test drove a Tacoma.  I ended up with the Jeep Gladiator with the max tow package (7650 pound towing, bigger alternator, etc.).  The removable roof/doors is really what tipped the scale.  The Tacoma was a beautiful truck and I have little doubt that I would have been very happy with it.  What really surprised me was how big it actually is.  For some reason, I had it in my mind that it was going to be similar in size to my old Dakota (I've had a few of those).  When driving the Tacoma, there was shockingly little difference between it and the full sized RAM.  There was a big difference between the V6 in the Toyota and the HEMI in the RAM but that was about it.  With gas edging close to that $2/L mark, I really wanted a "smaller" truck.  Oddly enough, the Gladiator is built using the RAM chassis and axles (in the max tow version at least).  The body is a lot narrower making it feel like a smaller truck... but it's clearly not 😂. 

With the Gladiator, if I'm gentle, I can maintain under 11L/100km Hwy and average about 13.5L/100km overall.  With the HEMI, I averaged about 17.5L/100km so there's a substantial fuel difference between them (I really didn't need 400HP). I seem to recall I was around +/- 19L/100km towing the boat up from Oregon to BC.  Curious what your mileage in the Tacoma will be?
I average about 18-20mpg combined, and that's with one size up tires, if I'm light footed. Towing the boat is a different story though, averaging about 13mpg. That's with some hills, and traffic.

It is pretty long, double cab, short bed, barely fits in my garage.

Overall, I really like it.

Norcalfish80

Quote from: Fisherdv on April 16, 2024, 09:20:43 AM
Quote from: PetitPoisson on April 16, 2024, 08:29:18 AMNice truck.  When I opted to downsize my RAM, I test drove a Tacoma.  I ended up with the Jeep Gladiator with the max tow package (7650 pound towing, bigger alternator, etc.).  The removable roof/doors is really what tipped the scale.  The Tacoma was a beautiful truck and I have little doubt that I would have been very happy with it.  What really surprised me was how big it actually is.  For some reason, I had it in my mind that it was going to be similar in size to my old Dakota (I've had a few of those).  When driving the Tacoma, there was shockingly little difference between it and the full sized RAM.  There was a big difference between the V6 in the Toyota and the HEMI in the RAM but that was about it.  With gas edging close to that $2/L mark, I really wanted a "smaller" truck.  Oddly enough, the Gladiator is built using the RAM chassis and axles (in the max tow version at least).  The body is a lot narrower making it feel like a smaller truck... but it's clearly not 😂. 

I average about 18-20mpg combined, and that's with one size up tires, if I'm light footed. Towing the boat is a different story though, averaging about 13mpg. That's with some hills, and traffic.

Tacomas are great trucks. I put 225k miles on mine before moving up in tow vehicle. Thing got me out of some trouble truly absurd situations safely. If they made a higher towing capacity diesel option in the US I'd still have one.
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

christianbrat

Quote from: Norcalfish80 on April 17, 2024, 07:04:04 AM

Tacomas are great trucks. I put 225k miles on mine before moving up in tow vehicle. Thing got me out of some trouble truly absurd situations safely. If they made a higher towing capacity diesel option in the US I'd still have one.

until it blew up towing a 19 :P
1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster

Fisherdv

Quote from: christianbrat on April 17, 2024, 03:17:41 PM

At least it went over 200k miles

Norcalfish80

Quote from: Fisherdv on April 17, 2024, 04:48:52 PM
Quote from: christianbrat on April 17, 2024, 03:17:41 PM

At least it went over 200k miles

My Ecoboost is at 170k we'll see how she fares lol
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

PetitPoisson

I looked at the diesel option for the Gladiator and aside from being able to say it's a diesel... there's really nothing too redeeming about them.

Tow capacity of my MaxTow 7650 pounds
Tow capacity of the diesel 6500 pounds

Yes, the diesel has more torque but that's where the fun stops.  At roughly $400 for an oil change and all the frustration with emissions systems that clog up.  I can't see why a person would want to go that route?
1990 19 Sea Ranger
1989 Mercury 150
1990 Mercury 15
2001 EZ Loader tandem axle

croaker stroker

Quote from: PetitPoisson on April 18, 2024, 05:41:54 AMI looked at the diesel option for the Gladiator and aside from being able to say it's a diesel... there's really nothing too redeeming about them.

Tow capacity of my MaxTow 7650 pounds
Tow capacity of the diesel 6500 pounds

Yes, the diesel has more torque but that's where the fun stops.  At roughly $400 for an oil change and all the frustration with emissions systems that clog up.  I can't see why a person would want to go that route?

I have the Ram1500 Ecodiesel (5th gen) My towing capacity is 9300 lbs, my load capacity is just over 2000 lbs.

My range hovers at 600 miles, depending on load and conditions.

This is my second Ecodiesel. I have had very good experience with both trucks. I change my own oil and filters. And I change them more often than recommended.

Stellantis will not be selling the Ram or Jeep Ecodiesel diesel anymore.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸