News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

VSC

Started by fishmeister, April 11, 2024, 09:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishmeister

While we are on the topic of safety reminders....

I know that this is going to be "old news" to many here.  But, I also know that we've had many new members over the past year.  Some of them just might be "newer" to boating so I thought I'd throw this post up in case it might help someone.

The USCG Auxiliary has volunteer inspectors that will do a "Vessel Safety Check" for you.  This is a free service and, in most cases, they will come right to you.  Just as if you were being boarded by the CG, they will go through all of your papers and required safety equipment.  They will also go through a list of "recommended equipment".

A really good incentive to do this (besides being free) is that there are no penalties/consequences if you are out of compliance.  They just let you know what you need to do to get there.  Better to find out this way instead of "the hard way".  If you are in compliance, it's good to have that affirmed and you'll get a decal to put on your boat.

If interested, here's where to go to request your VSC:
https://wow.uscgaux.info/i_want_a_vsc/index.php

I just had mine done yesterday (I passed and got my decal, btw).  I had a very nice gentleman (retired CG) who came right to my driveway to do my inspection.  He even offered a neat "tidbit" of local info that I didn't know....I've noted that there is a "restricted area" just a little south of Deception Pass and offshore from NAS Whidbey.  I assumed that it was either due to the proximity with the end of a runway or, possibly, unexploded ordinance.  Turns out, that area is directly downrange from the live-fire rifle range at NAS Whidbey.  Go through there at the wrong time and you might end up with some new holes in your boat (or more tragic).

Stay safe this summer.

1981 Sea Hunter (Oldest Arima on the forum??)
'22 Merc 60hp, '21 Merc 9.9 Kicker
1996 Lund WC12 (A tin can that wants to be an Arima)

davidsea

:yeahthat: 

I've had the inspection and gotten the decal the last 3 years.  All 3 were done by a really great guy from the Everett squadron, who came to my house.  Very thorough job, and he suggested a couple of things that weren't required for the inspection, but were good ideas that I later added.   I was stopped and boarded by a USCG patrol last summer, near Patos Is. - very close to the BC border.   Very polite and thorough, gave me compliments about the condition of the Arima, and a clean inspection report.  I'll be doing it again this year.  BTW, no charge for any of this, and a good thing to 'see' your boat with another set of eyes.  It's very easy to ignore something because 'it's always been that way'.
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

fishmeister

Quote from: davidsea on April 13, 2024, 10:22:10 PMVery thorough job, and he suggested a couple of things that weren't required for the inspection, but were good ideas that I later added.
Quote from: davidsea on April 13, 2024, 10:22:10 PMand a good thing to 'see' your boat with another set of eyes.  It's very easy to ignore something because 'it's always been that way'.

When I had mine done 2 years ago, I had all of the required items and the only item on the "recommended" list that I was missing was caps/covers on my battery terminals.  That was something that I hadn't even thought about.  Because of that inspection, I now have them.  There is definitely a benefit of "seeing your boat with another set of eyes".

This year's discussion about "restricted areas" came as the result of the inspector talking about general "rules of the road", shipping lanes, and various chart markings.  Seems like these guys can almost always find something to talk about that results in some useful info.

The bottom line is that there really is no "negative" to having one of these inspections.  It's free, they try to accommodate your schedule, they can usually come to you, and (unlike a real CG boarding) there are no penalties if you don't pass the inspection.  Their goal is to help keep everyone as safe as possible out on the water.

My last note (I think) is that my boat is a 15'.  The required equipment is basically PFD for each person and a whistle/sound-producing device (unless operating at night).  I asked to be inspected as a 16' as that is the next classification (16' to 26') for required equipment.  I know that I operate in some of the same waters as many 16-26' boats.  The conditions that might lead to that safety equipment's necessity aren't going to change in my favor just because my boat is a foot shorter.

KEM KAI

The Auxiliary used to come down on the weekends in Hawaii.  Haven't seen them in awhile, maybe have to call them.  They have more requirements than the Coast Guard. Last time I saw them they inspected my boat and I passed but they said they don't give out the sticker anymore. It doesn't stop CG from boarding but at least you're more than likely more than compliant. And you don't get a citation for non-compliance from them, just things you need to do.

Old Duder

Thanks for the reminder!  When getting my boat ready for the inspector I found that my Anchor light did not come on with the running lights.  I found a wiring diagram for the light switch on the forum and it was an easy fix. Looked like it had been that way since new.  I got my sticker for the year. Inspector was great and he gave me some pointers.
1995 Arima 17 Sea Pacer
Smoker craft Alaskan 15
1998 Avon Rib 25hp Merc

Dao

A quick question (Kind of related to safety.).  Does anyone keep paddle(s) on board?  I was a sailor for about 30 years and we always carried paddles.  It's slow, (very) but have successfully rowed a 27ft 5K lb boat about a 1/2 mile back to dock. (Of course it was dead calm and no tide.) You would think with sails and the "iron jib" this would rarely be necessary, but both your outboard and the wind can give out at the same time.  If this is feasible, I would like to get rid of my kicker and save some weight.  I only have the kicker in case the main gives out. 
1995 Sea Explorer 16

fishmeister

Quote from: Dao on April 17, 2024, 04:36:26 PMA quick question (Kind of related to safety.).  Does anyone keep paddle(s) on board?  I was a sailor for about 30 years and we always carried paddles.  It's slow, (very) but have successfully rowed a 27ft 5K lb boat about a 1/2 mile back to dock. (Of course it was dead calm and no tide.) You would think with sails and the "iron jib" this would rarely be necessary, but both your outboard and the wind can give out at the same time.  If this is feasible, I would like to get rid of my kicker and save some weight.  I only have the kicker in case the main gives out. 

Yes. I do have a paddle.  It was in the boat when I bought it.

Wouldn't want to find myself up S**t Creek without it.   :jester:

Yachter Yat

I never understood why more people don't simply have a small 2 HP kicker.  Seems that would be more than adequate in an emergency situation; not to mention how it would save weight and would also be seemingly more than sufficient for slow trolling. :shrug9:
  I mean.....if it can do this:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv1-HSrYtY8&t=1s

BTW, I always kept one of these small telescoping paddles on board.....in the orange color:
https://www.amazon.com/OCEANBROAD-Emergency-Telescoping-Collapsible-Emergency%EF%BC%8CTangerine/dp/B0CRR7P54N/ref=asc_df_B0CRR7P54N/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=691918420928&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12826597935164874785&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002283&hvtargid=pla-2323673002724&mcid=f86935cbb6283f92a05d2ea922f3190e&gad_source=1&th=1&psc=1

Yat

Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Tom C

QuoteDoes anyone keep paddle(s) on board?

Of course. Not just useful for paddling in a pinch, but also for poling off the beach, holding position, and fending off.

Always Fishing

Quote from: Yachter Yat on April 18, 2024, 07:50:49 AMI never understood why more people don't simply have a small 2 HP kicker.  Seems that would be more than adequate in an emergency situation; not to mention how it would save weight and would also be seemingly more than sufficient for slow trolling. :shrug9:
  I mean.....if it can do this:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv1-HSrYtY8&t=1s

BTW, I always kept one of these small telescoping paddles on board.....in the orange color:
https://www.amazon.com/OCEANBROAD-Emergency-Telescoping-Collapsible-Emergency%EF%BC%8CTangerine/dp/B0CRR7P54N/ref=asc_df_B0CRR7P54N/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=691918420928&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12826597935164874785&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002283&hvtargid=pla-2323673002724&mcid=f86935cbb6283f92a05d2ea922f3190e&gad_source=1&th=1&psc=1

Yat

The Torqeedo electric motors are pretty cool but expensive. 
1984 Sea Chaser 17 - 2002 Honda BF90
2019 Oldtown Topwater 120 PDL
2018 Solo Skiff - 2018 Tohatsu 6HP (Sold)
www.youtube.com/@alwaysfishing8465

Dao

Thanks for the responses. I was afraid everyone would consider it stupid to even suggest a paddle.  :redface:

I think I'll get a set of the telescoping paddles and see if I can trade my kicker for a smaller one.  I currently have a 10 HP, Electric start, 4 stroke Johnson. (Was even set up to use the power steering)  It's a good engine, but weighs about 100 lbs. I have a friend with a 4hp, two stroke, no name brand, that I can lift with one hand, easily.  Time to upgrade, by downgrading.  :wink:
1995 Sea Explorer 16

fishmeister

For those who may be newer, here's the VSC decal:

20240414_175100.jpg

KEM KAI

Like you Dao my kicker is only for main motor back up. I'm changing my 9.9Yama(elec. start/power tilt)that weighs a ton to a Tohatsu 6hp sailpro($2K). Weighs 80#'s, not for speed but lots of torque.  Made to push sail boats easily.

Ed De Explorer

Somewhat off the subject line but since it was brought up.

My boat came with a paddle on one end and a couple plastic hooks on the other.

I've used it lots of times.

To grab crab pot lines, push off of things, pick up floating garbage.. I am sure a few other things too.
Ed
91 Sea Explorer 16'