News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Bronze Motor Mounting nuts

Started by croaker stroker, April 10, 2024, 04:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydroman

Quote from: croaker stroker on April 17, 2024, 11:21:03 AMI ordered some bronze washers on EBAY, and 316 Stainless Nylocs.

Get yourself some marine anti seize and put on the threads if the nut and bolt are the same SS alloy.
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

croaker stroker

Quote from: Hydroman on April 17, 2024, 01:15:03 PM
Quote from: croaker stroker on April 17, 2024, 11:21:03 AMI ordered some bronze washers on EBAY, and 316 Stainless Nylocs.

Get yourself some marine anti seize and put on the threads if the nut and bolt are the same SS alloy.

Would brass on stainless be better than stainless on stainless?
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Tom C

Hydroman

Quote from: croaker stroker on April 17, 2024, 01:19:03 PM
Quote from: Hydroman on April 17, 2024, 01:15:03 PM

Would brass on stainless be better than stainless on stainless?

I have not experience using the combination of brass and SS, we always us Navay Bronze nuts and SS bolts an washers.
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

croaker stroker

Thanks Hydro. I'll order the Marine anti-seize.   :beerchug:  bowdown.gif

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Tom C

Just for fun, here is a photo of a couple of brass Mercury mounting bolt nuts I removed a couple weeks ago from an old Mercury outboard. They had begun to develop a verdigris patina. I just quickly hit one with a small diamond pad chucked in my drill press to get down to the brass to check for cracks. None found. I still won't reuse it for top bolts, but they would be OK for lower bolts, which do are not subjected to tensile loads like the upper mounting bolts.

croaker stroker

Funny, I did the same thing, but I am using them. The bottom bolts are the ones of concern because they are always submerged in saltwater.

I also scored 11 bronze 1/2" washers on EBAY for $20. 

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸