News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

What prop?

Started by manginilaw, April 08, 2024, 03:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manginilaw

I have a 1996 Arima Sea Ranger 17, with a 2019 Etec 115.  Need to replace the prop.  Any advice as to the pitch and whether aluminum or steel?  Thank you.

Tom C

What prop is on there now?

how fast did the boat go at WOT before the prop was damaged?

What was the WOT engine RPM with that prop?

manginilaw

30 knots at 6000 rpm flat calm water, cannot tell prop pitch, numbers corroded, prop not damaged, but cavitation caused some aluminum wear

Tom C

OK, the 2019 Evinrude (20" shaft) E-Tec 115 uses a 2:1 gear ratio, and has an optimal WOT engine speed range of 5750-6000 RPM. You're getting that, fine.

But 30 knots is very slow for 115 HP on a 17SR. I would expect the boat to go 33-34 knots at WOT.

I recommend a 14" x 15" Turbo Pontoon 1 propeller.

Tom C

I should further clarify that you need the one made specifically for Johnson/Evinrude/OMC/BRP motors which use a slightly smaller labyrinth seal that other manufactures.

You would need Yamaha part # MAR-14115-PR-D0

This is a good price:

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/yamaha-mar-14115-pr-d0-pontoon-j-e-14x15-r/

[Edit: out of stock. Let me see what else I can find]

Tom C

https://www.boatownersworld.com/turbo-pontoon-1-propeller-evinrude-johnson-3-blade-14d.html

I recommend NOT using the BRP TBX hub kit, but rather using the Solas Rubex hub kit, which will be much softer shifting.

Solas part # RBX-106 or RBX-106B if used in saltwater.

manginilaw

Thank you very much.  The prop you recommend seems to be stainless steel. Can you recommed an aluminum prop? we have a lot of floating stuff in S. Cal. after the rains

manginilaw

Also, I may have missed it, but what pitch?  Thank you.

Fisherdv

Quote from: manginilaw on April 17, 2024, 04:18:36 PMAlso, I may have missed it, but what pitch?  Thank you.
The one he mentioned is a 15 pitch
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Tom C

Floating stuff is why you want stainless steel; it is about five times as strong as aluminum, so instead of bending or breaking a blade, you keep boating.