Author Topic: Fish Finder/Chart plotter questions  (Read 10508 times)

Offline SRanger

Re: Fish Finder/Chart plotter questions
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 05:41:10 PM »

Agree..the Garmin is expensive.  Believe the 541 does not have coastal maps preloaded...the 546 does. 
The visual presentation is critical in my eyes.  Wish I could have afforded something larger...glass and bifocals don't help:(     
99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)

Offline polarbill1999

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 08:51:37 PM »
I stopped by West Marine tonight real quick.  The guy seemed to know a little but wasn't super informative on them either.  He was really trying to push Garmin but even admitted that Lowrance makes a better sonar.  They didn't have the Elite-5 so I couldn't compare that to the HDS-5.  They also didn't have the Humminbird 788CI.  The only comparable units I got to see were the HDS-5 and the Garmin 546S although that unit is pretty expensive.  It was interesting to see how the Lowrance did side by side splitscreen and the Garmin was top/bottom.  I think I kind of liked the top/bottom better but didn't play with them too long.  I read on another site(hull truth I think) that the HDS-5 does have an ethernet cable so you could have a trandsucer ran to one and then the ethernet cable run to the second and basically have 2 individual working units off the same transducer.  That would be pretty nice for future upgrades.  Basically I think I have decided that when the time comes I will either go with the Elite-5 Gold so I get maps of puget sound and the western shore of Canada or spend the extra 250-300 for the HDS-5 with an extra map chip.
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

Offline polarbill1999

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 09:27:52 PM »
Does anybody have experience with Standard Horizon sonars?  I have found their new 5" unit(cpf190i) for $550 online.  It is a combo unit that comes with C-Map preloaded that includes US and Canada coastal maps which means I wouldn't have to buy any additional maps.  The only thing it doesn't come with is a transducer but their transducer is only $75 or so.  The unit says it has a 600w dual frequency fish finder.  I am not sure if that is good or not.  From what I have read on reviews their units are easy to use and they have the best customer service of any of the manucaturers.

http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=232&encProdID=7C2E08A781C4750C64D38C4351538564&DivisionID=3&isArchived=0
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 09:53:08 PM by polarbill1999 »
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 11:36:05 PM »

Boy, that unit has a lot of features and setup for future upgrades.  The only draw back that I could see is the 320 x 232 resolution.

Can you look at one in a store near you to see if the GPS screen is sharp enough for you?
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline polarbill1999

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2011, 10:02:23 AM »

Boy, that unit has a lot of features and setup for future upgrades.  The only draw back that I could see is the 320 x 232 resolution.

Can you look at one in a store near you to see if the GPS screen is sharp enough for you?

It is amazing to see the difference in resolution on the screens of these 5" units.

Raymarine A50D-640x480 with high resolution VGA
Hummingbird 788ci-640x640 256 color
Lowrance HDS-5-480x480 16 bit TFT
Lowrance Elite-5-480x480 256 color TFT
Garmin 541c-234x320 QVGA
SH cpf190ci-the 180ci says it is a 320x240 QVGA but the 190ci doesn't list its resolution and says it is TFT.

Obviously the SH is on the low end of the resolution scale but being right there with the Garmin doesn't make it too bad I suppose.  I have no idea what 256 color, vga, qvga, tft or any of that means. 
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

Offline Enniberg

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 10:23:20 AM »
I just got my Elite-5 yesterday, will post a review when I get is properly installed and get a chance to use it.

Could be a while. I have initiated a transducer exchange with Lowrance. They are sending me the in-hull transducer to replace the skimmer that came included.

For now I can say that the screen is very good - better than the SH, for sure.

A quick browse of the charts shows good detail of the areas I looked at.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. (unknown)

Offline polarbill1999

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 04:16:28 PM »
I just got my Elite-5 yesterday, will post a review when I get is properly installed and get a chance to use it.

Could be a while. I have initiated a transducer exchange with Lowrance. They are sending me the in-hull transducer to replace the skimmer that came included.

For now I can say that the screen is very good - better than the SH, for sure.

A quick browse of the charts shows good detail of the areas I looked at.

Enniberg. are you exchanging it for a 50/200 transucer or another 83/200?  I was told by someone that you could only use 83/200 transducers.

I stopped by west marine again today.  Unfortunately they didn't have any SH fish finders or combos.  The guy there showed me the 3d mapping on the Garmin units.  Holy crap is that cool.  Too bad the ship or whatever for 3D mapping is crazy expensive.  He said kind of what I have been hearing.  That the Lowrance has a better sonar and the Garmin has better mapping.  It is really cool how the HDS-5 has so many upgradable features and 2 units can be connected together to have 2 full 5" screens.  Again the problem is that to start we would have to buy the unit and buy another map chip to get Canadian waters.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 05:13:33 PM by SeaChaser »
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

Offline polarbill1999

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2011, 10:22:15 AM »
Ok guys, getting closer to a decision.  I think I have decided on Lowrance because of the specials boemarine is running right now.  I am looking at these units

Lowrance Elite-5 Gold(navionics gold that covers puget sound and western canada), comes with 83/200 transducer-$517
Lowrance HDS-5 basemap, comes with 83/200 transducer-$587
Lowrance HDS-5 nautic insight, the cautic insight covers US coastal but not canada, comes with a 50/200 transducer-$587

So after comparing these units the Elite-5 is the most complete as is.  It has gold maps to cover everywhere we would fish although it isnt' the newest and best cartography.  It has the 83.200 transducer which sounds like it should be fine for downrigger fishing in depths less then 200 feet.  It does sound like the 50/200 transducer is better for offshore but not sure how much it matters in depths less then 200 feet.  The unit also doesn't have a ton of upgradability.  It does have a pretty good sonar though that probably compares to most brands like SH, Garmin and himminbird. 

I am trying to figure out if Lowrance will exchange the 83/200 transducer for a 50/200 on either the HDS-5 or the Elite-5.  Do you guys think that getting the 50/200 transducer vs the 83/200 and getting nautic insight preloaded is worth an extra $100?  Would a better bet be to get the basemap unit and buy a platinum plus chip of Puget Sound?  It sounds like to get the maps of Western Canada the only map available from Navionics is the Gold.  I know that I need to decide for myself but what would you guys do? 

i
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

Offline Channel Cat

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2011, 10:58:30 AM »
Brett buy the (Lowrance HDS-5 nautic insight, the Nautic insight covers US coastal but not canada, comes with a 50/200 transducer-$587) Already!!!!
Thats a good Ducer for deep water rigging. Either way, you will want to purchase Platimum chips for the regions you require.  Do yourself a big favor, and buy the extended warranty! I found west marines warranty a little cheaper than from the factory. West marine will price match competitors.
    Spend the money and Go fishing!!!!!!! :fishing:

Team Arima
"07" 19'SR, 115 HP E-TEC, 9.9 Johnson 4 stk.

Offline Enniberg

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 05:36:29 PM »
I had the HDS-5 with the Platinum chip for Vancouver Island and it was great.

I now have the Elite-5 and it is great too.

The HDS is not worth the extra cost to me, but if it is to you, get it.

You have to phone Lowrance if you want to do a transducer exchange.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. (unknown)

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2011, 10:18:13 AM »
Cabella's has the Lowrance HDS with a $150 rebate until 3-27-11 for those that might be interested.

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline Hydro-Therapy

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2011, 09:26:10 AM »

Has anyone checked out the new Standard Horizon cpf390i ? I am looking for a 7" screen and this looks to be a pretty good bang for the buck but would like to hear the opinion of others on this one.

Thanks
  Hydro-Therapy
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

Offline CanvasGuy

• ArimaOwners.com Sr. Banner Engineer
  • Fisherman
  • aka king slayer
  • View Gallery
    • Smart Custom Canvas
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2011, 09:40:41 AM »
Yes hydro ...i have the 390i SH chart plotter. :smile1:
 I really like the large screen on it  :arms:
so its great for the size and price..not sure witch charts c-card to recommend...?
Gary Smart
-1980 Hardtop Glasply Sedan"VistaCruiser" 
 http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke