News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

VHF antenna - what is good?

Started by Enniberg, February 14, 2011, 02:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enniberg

I am looking to install a vhf and antenna in my boat. We have a good discussion about vhf's going in another thread, but I thought we could get some antenna recommendations here.

Is there anything good available in the $100 range? I have had Shakespeare antenna's on previous boats, but they don't seem to last long.

Johan

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. (unknown)

CanvasGuy

May I be the first to recomend "Digital":biggrin:  http://www.digitalantenna.com/vhfantennas.html
they make a quality antena at a good price
I love my digital 8' black and it preforms well. :applause:

Gary

Gary Smart
boatless  now
http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

Enniberg

Gary, I was wondering if Digital was good, I had never heard of them until yesterday. I think it is pretty cool that you can get them in black too.

Where did you get yours?

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. (unknown)

CanvasGuy

Yeah I think off Amazion.. best price search..
well worth it... :twocents:
Gary Smart
boatless  now
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

Kimbrey

Quite a bit of antenna talk on bloodydecks.com. Seems like Digital is thought to be good.  Generally most of our stuff is Morad or that is what the electronic outfits supplies us with. The antenna is Allen screwed on an aluminum extension tube. About the only time one will go bad on us is when a bird kamikazes into one.  A good antenna is probably more important than the radio.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Threeweight

I have heard from numerous tuna boat fishermen in here in Oregon (the guys who go 50-60 miles offshore) that the Digital model 529 is the gold standard.  It is also surprisingly cheap (like $130).  I will never buy another Shakespear antenna if I can avoid it.

Morad is probably better still than the Digital, but costs more $$ as well.

I would second that the quality of the antenna is more important than the radio.  I had this drilled into me in the Coast Guard Aux classes as well as the tuna captains.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

finfinn

Been following a few sites and usually the Digital antennas come out top rated. Will be my next one.
Had a glorious SR19 Finnesse.
You can not change the length of your life, but boating does increase its width and depth.

Enniberg

Gary, did you buy a mount from Digital with your antenna, or was the antenna mounted with something that was already there? I am wondering if a Shakespeare mount will be compatible.

Johan

CanvasGuy

yes it would.. but i got mine  through Amazon it is stainless
i would recommend them as they don't cost that much more and won't break
by the way i made a steel backing plate and bolted it through the side cabin
shes on for life... :wink:
Gary Smart
boatless  now

fishing eagle

The stainless antenna mounts are nice looking and more costly than the nylon mounts and I have decided to stay with nylon mounts. Why nylon antenna mounts? Because they work great, they are less expensive and since the day I forgot to drop my antenna at a boat launch that has a low bridge on the roadway to the ramp.... Yes it was too late when I heard the snap. Believe it or not, I was doing maybe 5 mph when I went under a bridge with 7 foot clearance and the 8 foot VHF antenna did not break; but the nylon antenna mount snapped into two at the swivel mount. I only had to replace a nylon antenna mount at minimal cost and I consider myself lucky.

Now that tells me the nylon mount was the weakest point but what if I had a stainless mount? What would have been damaged, the antenna or maybe the boat its self? I will continue to use nylon mounts.
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

Enniberg

Got my Digital 529 installed today - looks good in black :party:

First time I have paid attention to getting a good VHF antenna, but obviously I will not know much about how it performs until I get the radio installed too :doh:

Grizzle

I need to move my antenna from the side of the boat to the top of my tower.  Should I put another 8' on or can I get away with an 4'?  Thanks
Brook Stockton - My Boat: Mighty Molly - The Fish Monger - Arima SeaChaser 16 - Soft SkipTower and "The Rack"

SALTBOSS™ MARINE - Offshore Marine Products & Fabrication - http://saltbossmarine.com - brook@saltbossmarine.com - 206-953-SALT (7258)

Danno

Grizzle, that depends on where you use your boat. VHF is line of site. The taller your antenna is and the higher it is mounted, the better.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Enniberg

What Dan said.

I am no expert on this, but I'd think that if you put a 4' up there, you are probably achieving what is pretty much a status quo vs. the 8' mounted where you have it now.

For fishing off shore, I would like to get my 8' mounted higher in order to achieve greater range.

Threeweight

As Danno noted, waves and the curvature of the earth block VHF signals.  The higher you can mount your antenna, the more range you will have (especially in bad weather).  Price difference between a 4' and an 8' isn't that big of a deal... I'd go 8'!

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

StreamFixer

Grizz

Be sure to anchor that puppy well.  The higher you go, the more the mounting base will be stressed.  With that new frame, it should not be a problem, however, a cheap, plastic stock mounting will likely not hold up for long.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Threeweight

Use one of these:

Or maybe have a stainless mounting plate added to your arch... good for mounting the antennas, radar, etc... down the road.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

I think the shorter antennas are for sailboats. The 9db and 6db signal shape is different. The shorter antenna sends out a fatter signal so that when a sailboat is keeled over, the signal doesn't pass over the receiving station.

Mine is a shorter sailboat antenna because it was free.  :redface:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

fishing eagle

Stay with your 8 ft antenna and get the best possibl signal!
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)