News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Fishing off La Jolla

Started by Playin Hooky, May 21, 2023, 01:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Playin Hooky

On Friday 5/19, we took a trip to Mission Bay in San Diego and launched for some fishing off La Jolla.  We got a half scoop of sardines, but the hot ticket was Hook Up baits.  This was the first time we used them and was impressed with how well they worked.  They caught Calico Bass and Vermillion Rock fish and could not keep the Mackerel off them.  Kept three fish and making fish tacos tonight.  We saw a fellow Arima owner off La Jolla as well in what looked like a 17' or 19' Sea Chaser, but don't know if they are on this forum. 

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.     
2004 Arima 15' Sea Sprinter, 2004 Suzuki 70
1999 Chaparral Signature 27 (Sold and told the wife I'd never to buy another boat; Oops!)
1990 Trophy 2159 (long gone)

Yachter Yat

Hooky:  Looks you had some fun on that beautiful little 15. Man......I'd love to find it's "Brother Hunter" in that "same" condition. BTW, why is it that whenever I see offshore West Coast pics, the water is always so damned "flat"? :doh:   I'm jealous.  I guess Magellan named it correctly. :jester:

Have fun, Yat

History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

christianbrat

Love la jolla. Great place, lovely people, and the ocean is so so lovely.  Looks like a great day.  My grandfather is one of the OG Scripps Institute of Oceanography preofessors and researchers, that area is rich with maritime activity.
1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster

BayWolf

Oh man...your post brought back a lot of great memories for us.  Love SD and especially La Jolla. It was only a 15 minute drive from our place so we would go often.  Loved the walks, the sun, the vibe.  Even fished off the shore many times for opaleye, calicos and whatever.  Never disappointed.

You got some good fish and good eats.  Well done!

Christian...We visited the Scripps many times. Sooo fascinating.
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

Playin Hooky

Thanks for the feedback.  La Jolla is a great place and fishing offshore there is good as well.  Weather is normally very cooperative and many calm days on the water.  Scripps Institute is an added bonus for sure.  Here is what the Vermillion Rock fish looked like later on.

You cannot view this attachment.
1999 Chaparral Signature 27 (Sold and told the wife I'd never to buy another boat; Oops!)

amazing grace

Congrats on a great outing. Those Taco's look oh so good :food:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

DARice

Jealous! I have family in La Jolla and Carlsbad but the wind was howling six weeks ago when I was there, and rock fish season wasn't yet open, so my brother and I pulled the plug on our planned trip to Mexico in his SR21 skip. Next time!

Dave
2005 Sea Chaser 17 Pilot House, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9

Playin Hooky

Today we went out of Oceanside and headed north.  It was a good day for Barred Sand Bass and a few good Calico.   All in all we caught and released 20 and kept these two for more tacos.  :food:

You cannot view this attachment.

Crackerbox