News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Banned Again..

Started by Hunter, May 20, 2023, 02:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter

Hey guys.....  I just took a trip to Bonaire in the south Caribbean and when I tried to log-in to the forum I was Banned for Life.  Now I am home and am still Banned for life but only on my Laptop.   I am typing this from my desktop and everything is fine.   Both my laptop and my desktop go through the same router so I don't see how it can be my IP address.  I like to use my laptop for the forum.  I've cleared all my cookies and history from the laptop and still no joy.   I NEVER have this issue with ANY other forums....just this one.   Please advise....  Or, simply go to my account in the admin control panel and lift the ban.   Thanks.  Hunter   
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Danno

I only ban you Hunter because I'm jealous of all the cool places you travel to. Well except Sacramento but I'll let that one slide because your mom lives there.

Get on your laptop and look for your IP from there. Send me a note with the IP.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

dogobat

huh.....maybe it's the Hewescraft?? Put an Arima sticker on it.
Dogobat
La Conner, WA
Sea Hunter, 50 Johnson

beancounter

Hunter my guess is you are baaaad boy on that laptop. Just kidding Dan will get you fixed up happens to me when I travel sometimes.  :1zhelp:

Batsquatch

I'd risk the ban to get a chance to visit Bonaire again.  I loved that island...
Jeff
Jeff a.k.a Batsquatch
Formerly 19' Sea Ranger
Currently Wellcraft Coastal 270

Hunter

Hey thanks everyone.....   Danno.....I PM'd you the requested info......  Thanks again!   
All Garmin Electronics

DeskJockey

Quote from: Hunter on May 21, 2023, 08:29:37 AMHey thanks everyone.....  Danno.....I PM'd you the requested info......  Thanks again!   
Hiya hunter,

Danno forwarded the IP info. Unfortunately that is a private IP issued by your local router.  You won't be able to determine what the Bonaire IP was, but what we need is the public IP. You can ask Google or use a site like ipchicken.com (easy to remember).

So, now that you are home and it's no longer an IP issue, the problem is going to be local to your laptop, most likely your browser cache/cookies.  Some browsers are incredibly difficult in cleaning that data.

Can you try a different browser in your laptop to test that theory? What browser do you typically use on your laptop, Google chrome?
1991 17' Sea Ranger

Hunter

Quote from: DeskJockey on May 23, 2023, 08:24:49 AM
Quote from: Hunter on May 21, 2023, 08:29:37 AMHey thanks everyone.....  Danno.....I PM'd you the requested info......  Thanks again!   
Hiya hunter,

Danno forwarded the IP info. Unfortunately that is a private IP issued by your local router.  You won't be able to determine what the Bonaire IP was, but what we need is the public IP. You can ask Google or use a site like ipchicken.com (easy to remember).

So, now that you are home and it's no longer an IP issue, the problem is going to be local to your laptop, most likely your browser cache/cookies.  Some browsers are incredibly difficult in cleaning that data.

Can you try a different browser in your laptop to test that theory? What browser do you typically use on your laptop, Google chrome?

SUCCESS.....  Chrome was my default on the laptop so I just tried Firefox and it all worked just fine.   THANKS!!!!  :beerchug:  :clap:    Moving forward I guess I'll just have to stay off this forum if I'm traveling anywhere outside the US.   

Still a bit curious as to why this only happens on this forum and no others.   Even the Hewescraft owners forum has no issues and they have fewer members and less activity than AOF.

All Garmin Electronics

DeskJockey

Yeah, so that confirms the issue with Google Chrome and how it stores cache, cookie, and session data.

The IP ban list is a bit broad and that's why you see the issue with this forum only.  Next time you travel and come across the ban issue, please use a site like ipchicken.com to fetch your public IP address.  Write it down or send it in and I can look for the rule.

To get chrome working again, try clearing site data (for just arimaowners if possible) and make sure the timeline is "All Time".  If you do this for every site, you'll have to re-login everywhere again
1991 17' Sea Ranger

Pdxmgunner

Me too, BAD TO THE BONE.

Pdxmgunner

Hunter

Quote from: Hunter on May 23, 2023, 09:18:40 AM
Quote from: DeskJockey on May 23, 2023, 08:24:49 AM
Hiya hunter,

SUCCESS.....  Chrome was my default on the laptop so I just tried Firefox and it all worked just fine.   THANKS!!!!  :beerchug:  :clap:    Moving forward I guess I'll just have to stay off this forum if I'm traveling anywhere outside the US.   

Still a bit curious as to why this only happens on this forum and no others.   Even the Hewescraft owners forum has no issues and they have fewer members and less activity than AOF.

Well..... looks like rumors of my success were greatly exaggerated.   When I try to log in through Chrome, I still immediately get the message that I am Banned and the Ban is not set to expire....so can't go any further.   And now, when I try to log in through Firefox (on my laptop) and it takes me right to the log-in page but then says that I have a bad password and need to change it, "click here to change password".   It then emails me a link to change the PW but when I click on the link it tells me that I am banned for life and can't use it...

So.....why can't an admin just go into the admin control panel, look up the banned list and simply lift the ban?.....or set it to expire in a day?

No offence but there must be a reason that NO other forums I'm on have this issue.....EVER.   I'm on Gun forums, Harley forums, Hewescraft, Diving forums, etc and NONE have this issue no matter where I am in the world.  Just say'n...   

Hey DJ.....  How about I PM you my user name and PW and you log out and then try to log back in as me?    Doing that now...
All Garmin Electronics

Danno

Hunter, did you follow DeskJockey's instructions?

Next time you travel and come across the ban issue, please use a site like ipchicken.com to fetch your public IP address.  Write it down or send it in and I can look for the rule.

I don't see anything in your complaint that suggests you did.

Hunter

Quote from: Danno on May 25, 2023, 07:49:51 AMHunter, did you follow DeskJockey's instructions?

Next time you travel and come across the ban issue, please use a site like ipchicken.com to fetch your public IP address.  Write it down or send it in and I can look for the rule.

Sure Danno..... I wrote it down and next time I travel I can try that.   I am not complaining.  I am also not a computer tech guy.  I am in the Forum Technical Help section of this forum asking totally respectful and simple questions about Forum Technical Help like.....  Why can't you just go to my account in the admin panel and lift the ban or set it to expire?   and......   Why is it only this forum that has these issues?   

I'm clearly not the only one that has these "banning" issues.   I guess it just sounds like I am.   Sorry about that.....

All Garmin Electronics

gtboosted

I also have issues with my phone.  Clearing site data etc doesnt help. 

When the issue started I was not out the country  :shrug9:
21' Sea Ranger Skip Top

Danno

Quote from: Hunter on May 25, 2023, 08:19:24 AM
Quote from: Danno on May 25, 2023, 07:49:51 AMHunter, did you follow DeskJockey's instructions?

Sure Danno..... I wrote it down and next time I travel I can try that.   I am not complaining.  I am also not a computer tech guy.  I am in the Forum Technical Help section of this forum asking totally respectful and simple questions about Forum Technical Help like.....  Why can't you just go to my account in the admin panel and lift the ban or set it to expire?   and......   Why is it only this forum that has these issues?   

I'm clearly not the only one that has these "banning" issues.   I guess it just sounds like I am.   Sorry about that.....

Actually, ban issues are way down since the software was updated a couple of months ago but obviously, we're still having issues.

We can't fix the problem unless we know what IP your computer is trying to connect through. And now I see that DeskJockey noted that it's either in your router or browsers. I'm Gillian in charge of a battleship here so I'll have to depend on DeskJockey for continued help.

We do log error codes but we get a lot every day due to the spammers we block so it's almost useless to useless to use that.

DJ, is there a way to see what IP's are used in Bonaire and we just clear those?

croaker stroker

It was the twins !!  Was it the twins ??  🤔
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

beancounter

Quote from: croaker stroker on May 25, 2023, 07:18:15 PMIt was the twins !!  Was it the twins ??  🤔
Yea baby Hunter and those twins.

Hunter

Yeah...... the weird thing is that it's only my laptop.  My desktop is working fine and as far as I know both the laptop and the desktop run through the same router.  Only difference is that my laptop is WIFI and my desktop is hardwired.  I thought about logging off on the desktop and then logging back in but am worried that it would not let me sign back in because the system thinks I'm banned....

So Desk Jocky and Danno....... I PM'd you both my user-name and password.   Maybe try logging in as me and see if you get the same results..  If you are also unable to log in then we'll at least know that it's nothing to do with my computers or my router or my IP address...   

All Garmin Electronics

DeskJockey

Quote from: Hunter on May 26, 2023, 08:41:13 AMYeah...... the weird thing is that it's only my laptop.  My desktop is working fine and as far as I know both the laptop and the desktop run through the same router.  Only difference is that my laptop is WIFI and my desktop is hardwired.  I thought about logging off on the desktop and then logging back in but am worried that it would not let me sign back in because the system thinks I'm banned....

So Desk Jocky and Danno....... I PM'd you both my user-name and password.   Maybe try logging in as me and see if you get the same results..  If you are also unable to log in then we'll at least know that it's nothing to do with my computers or my router or my IP address...   

Hunter,

The issue you're having is isolated to your laptop, specifically Google Chrome, and the way it caches data from this site.

Getting a little "techie" for a moment, there are 2 systems at play.  There is the client side (your laptop) and the server side (Danno's server).  At one point, when you were in Bonaire, your laptop (client) requested access to the server.  Your request originated from an IP that is on our ban list and the server responded that you were banned (based on IP).  Your client cached this response (stored locally on your laptop for future use).  This is fairly common, chrome tries to cache a lot of content that it thinks is "static".  The idea being, every time you refresh a page, you want to see new dynamic data, like more posts about fishing or Arimas, but you don't really need to re-download all of the other common images, like the reply button, or user avatars, or emojis.  Chrome tries to cache these common assets (and other stuff) to save you from downloading them every time, which will appear to you as the page loading slowly.  Chrome is also caching content from all of the other forums you frequent, it just gets this one "banned" value wrong for this specific forum.

I guess what I am trying to say, if Danno or I log into the admin panel and pull up your account, it is not banned.  We can't unban an already unbanned account, and we can't expire a ban that doesn't exist.  From the "Server" side, there is nothing that can be done.  There is a stubborn piece of site data stored on your laptop that is showing you the banned page.

Sometimes mashing the F5 key a bunch of times, or ctrl+F5 a bunch of times, can forcibly refresh all of the site data.  Other times, you have to wade through Chrome's Clear Browsing Data options.

Try this:

1. Open Google Chrome and press F12.  (This opens the developer tools within chrome.  Pressing F12 again will close it.)
2. Navigate to http://www.arimaowners.com
3. In the Developer Tools, click the "Application" button at the top
4. In the Developer Tools, expand the "Cookies" section on the left
5. Click the cookie(s) under the newly expanded "Cookie" section
6. Right-Click and delete the individual cookies in the pane on the right. (My screenshot shows 2 cookies, you may show more, delete them all).
7. Press F12 to close the Developer tools window.
8. Press F5 to reload the arimaowners page and see if you are still met with the banned message.  (You will need to login again, as you've just deleted the cookies that store your persistent login information.)
1991 17' Sea Ranger

Hunter

Hey DJ..... I'm typing this message from my laptop!    :beerchug:  :clap:

I tried your suggested path above but my laptop must have a different "F" key configuration than yours...  When I hit F12 it just puts my laptop in or out of Airplane mode....

So I just went on Google and typed in "how to clear all cookies from Chrome" and that got me to success.  I'll have to log back in on some other sites.....but that's no big deal. 

It's clear that you were 100% right......the issue was with Chrome cookies on my laptop.  Usually I just go to Internet Options and Delete all cookies about once a week because that seems to speed up my system....but apparently that does not clear all the Chrome cookies.  My guess is that outfits like Google want to keep those cookies in their cookie jar no matter what!

Anyway..... thanks so much for your help and special thanks to you and Danno for putting up with my dumb ass and not banning me for real..

Sincerely and Cheers!.....  H 

All Garmin Electronics