News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Who carries your bundled insurance?

Started by ohmytodd, March 15, 2023, 10:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohmytodd

Years ago I switched to Farmers for everything - homeowners, multiple cars, motorcycle, boat, RV. I just saw my homeowners renewal and it's up 33% over last year. So, I'm shopping around.

Who do you all bundle your coverage with that you like that isn't Farmers or State Farm (they lost my business years ago)?? I don't qualify for veteran or senior coverage. I'm shopping around...
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

Danno

I'm no help because I went from Farmers to State Farm. My issue was that my house is in a high risk fire area so the companies I can work with are very limited. State Farm also had major increases the last couple of years but they treat me better than Farmers.

That iceberg was because My favorite Farmers agent moved from Oregon City to one of the Dakotas. They reassigned me to someone who couldn't service the account right and the snowball grew. BTW, Grant Schelee in, I think, Corvallis, is great to work with at Farmers. He's also a part time fishing guide.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

AJFishin

We have Liberty Mutual for almost everything, homes, auto, umbrella, business, etc. with the exception for the RV (National General Insurance) and boat (Progressive) which had better rates. We've had Liberty for over 15 years and they've treated us very nice, from our personal agent to the agents at Liberty Mutual. A couple years ago I shopped around, but couldn't get anything better than what we have, worth looking into
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

ohmytodd

Quote from: Danno on March 15, 2023, 10:54:13 AMI'm no help because I went from Farmers to State Farm. My issue was that my house is in a high risk fire area so the companies I can work with are very limited. State Farm also had major increases the last couple of years but they treat me better than Farmers.

That iceberg was because My favorite Farmers agent moved from Oregon City to one of the Dakotas. They reassigned me to someone who couldn't service the account right and the snowball grew. BTW, Grant Schelee in, I think, Corvallis, is great to work with at Farmers. He's also a part time fishing guide.

Good to know. I had State Farm for decades and they lost me when my shed was raided and they refused to cover anything based on an undisclosed change in the fine print of a policy renewal - I lost all of my newish power tools and my grandfather's collection of hand tools going back to the 30's. Our agent just shrugged and did nothing. Our local Farmer's agent was an old friend and was amazing to work with until she retired. Ever since I've been shuffled around to 4 different agents in 3 years. I'd love to find someone I can actually talk to when I need them.

Mooch

Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Ed De Explorer

Good topic and I'm sure everyone has had issues with one insurance company or another when it comes time to file a claim,,,, they are in business to make money.

Hands down I believe Farmers is the most expensive insurance on the market. State Farm a close second.

I moved from Liberty Mutual 15 or so years ago because it was too expensive at the time.

I currently have American Family for everything.
House, 4 cars, camping trailer, boat, and an umbrella liability policy that will kick in if something really bad happens.

I'm sure I am overpaying since I have not shopped n 15 years but pretty happy with them.

2 claims

Tree fell on trailer wrote a fair check on the spot. 10 years ago

1 auto accident that was my wife's fault totaled out her FJ cruiser took a bit of haggling to get about 3k less than I could have bought the same vehicle back for since they stopped making them they are priced way over blue book. The other vehicle and injuries taken care of without my intervention... 2 years ago

Interested to see what others are using.

Ed
91 Sea Explorer 16'

Peddler

I have an Auto/Home/RV/Umbrella policy with Pemco, which I think is in Washington State only.  I have my boat insured separately through Markel for better coverage, agreed value, and lower rate.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Kimbrey

Cars and house are through Pemco.  Been with them for years and years and have zero complaints.  The boat is different so it can have the yacht policy for coverage offshore and value.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

La-Z-Buoy

I know you said no State Farm but they have never failed me. I did change agents once because of the service I was getting but that was an agent problem not an insurance problem. Been 50 years +  .
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

StreamFixer

USAA...  not that means much to non-vet..  Perhaps through a parent??  Or vet in the family??

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

ohmytodd

Great feedback, thanks all. Farmer's came back and told me that they've reconsidered (when I told them I would be shopping around) and reduced the renewal rate from a 33% increase to $700 lower than last year's renewal based on my outstanding credit and history with them. That's great and all, but I have now asked them to go back 5 years, look at all of my policies and retroactively refund me for overpayments. If they can reduce my renewal by that much it has to mean they've been screwing me for a very long time, so I'm out.

At least now I have a new rate to compare other carriers to. 

gtboosted

Quote from: ohmytodd on March 16, 2023, 07:45:18 AMGreat feedback, thanks all. Farmer's came back and told me that they've reconsidered (when I told them I would be shopping around) and reduced the renewal rate from a 33% increase to $700 lower than last year's renewal based on my outstanding credit and history with them. That's great and all, but I have now asked them to go back 5 years, look at all of my policies and retroactively refund me for overpayments. If they can reduce my renewal by that much it has to mean they've been screwing me for a very long time, so I'm out.

At least now I have a new rate to compare other carriers to. 

State Farm did something similar to me. I then priced shopped and their new rate was the cheapest I could find. I stayed with them.

Talk to enough people and you can find bad stories on any insurance company. So I'd go with the cheapest rate from a "reputable" company.

21' Sea Ranger Skip Top

Pacific27

I called the RBI Agency LLC, the agent is a fisherman and will go to bat for you. Once you speak with them they will look for the best coverage/cost available, which put me with Safeco Insurance for the coverage I wanted cost came out to be about $850 a year, but I wanted comprehensive coverage that I could rely upon.

I've been with State Farm Insurance for 20+ years and since my agent retired years ago I really don't like the new agent or staff. I've tried to get away from them which is why I reached out to the RBI Agency in the first place. I wanted to fully move away from State Farm, but since I've been there so long the RBI Agency could not find me a better deal on Auto/Home etc. I've been wanting to add an umbrella policy with SF to give me even more coverage on my boat (Safeco) just one of those things that keeps slipping off my radar. Thanks for your post as it served as a reminder for me to follow up on that front.

I would give them a call, RBI Agency LLC, I'm very happy I did. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, this isn't a "paid" promotion, just happy with the level of service I received.

http://www.therbiagency.com/
2002 Arima Sea Ranger 21'
2022 Mercury 115 CT (Mercury Enertia SS 15"x15p)
2022 Mercury 15

1989 Sea Ranger 19' - Skip Top (sold)

Fishful Thinking

I know you said non-vet, but I will second USAA. Although their boat insurance is contracted through Progressive. USAA has been outstanding in all of my interactions with them.
John

2001 Sea Chaser 15/11
2023 Suzuki DF90AT
2001 Yamaha 8

croaker stroker

We switched to Costco. Just today. About 30 minutes ago.

But...the boat is with Geico/BoatUS because of the towing.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Hunter

We use Geico/ Boat US for the boat and Allstate for everything else....  But the true test for any insurance company is how they handle a claim.   They're all good at taking your money and being nice....until you file a claim!
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

JamesBee19791

Few years ago I had a customer bragging about he had the best insurance guy and lowest rates. I got a quote, cut my rate in half from what I was paying with Geico.  He now has my house, cars, boat, RV. Had a couple claims, all handled great.   Safeco, Tyler Hibbitts 541-948-1278. Get a quote, tell him James sent you.
91 SC17, 19 Yamaha 115, 17 Yamaha 9.9

Keel-er

We've got the house, cars and boat with Safeco.  They've been great when we've needed them.
1986 Sea Ranger 17 "Nancy Lyn"-Sold
2020 Yamaha F90
1995 Sea Ranger 19
2023 Tohatsu 140
2020 Yamaha 9.9