Author Topic: Trailer bunk replacement  (Read 130 times)

Offline Norcalfish80

Trailer bunk replacement
« on: November 20, 2022, 02:40:38 PM »
Long story but my trailer bunks have broken half from towing a different boat.

Is there anything I should know about replacing them as regards the ARIMA hull design?
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

Online DARice

Re: Trailer bunk replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 03:08:20 PM »
Long story but my trailer bunks have broken half from towing a different boat.

Is there anything I should know about replacing them as regards the ARIMA hull design?

If it's just swapping in new bunks for the existing ones, it just takes some patience to find decent fir 2X6s, and you'll need carpet and a staple gun (I'm using 1/2" monel staples). I ordered boat bunk carpet from Pacific Trailer for my current job because the local Home Depot was out of stock, it's much more expensive and not really needed. Carpet recommended by martin3:  https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMaster-Elevations-Color-Sky-Grey-12-ft-Indoor-Outdoor-Ribbed-Texture-Carpet-7PD5N660144H/203240740

Typically, you can attach the bunks with lags or recessed carriage bolts. Of course carriage bolts need to be installed before carpeting. On my EZ Loader those are 5/16" fasteners (I ordered 3/8" :doh:).

I'm adding a second set of bunks and am using stainless for all the fasteners--McMaster Carr has the best prices. For my new bunk brackets I went with Pacific Trailer--their hardware is beefier than others, but the galvanizing is very heavy handed/sloppy and I'm having to drill out all of the holes (OK, my son will do it when he arrives for the holiday--I'm in a sling for several weeks).

Dave
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 03:23:20 PM by DARice »
2005 Sea Chaser 17, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9

Online davidsea

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 05:11:30 PM »
 :yeahthat:
X2 on the monel or SS staples, available for most all staplers - mine were from Arrow.   Don't use pressure treated wood for bunks - the chemicals added to the wood react badly to all sorts of marine things.  When I had bunk trailers, I figured 4-5 years was a pretty decent lifespan, especially in salt water.  If you use a trim router to round off all the edges of the wood a little before you carpet, everything will last longer. I also cut a larger radius on the aft top edge of the bunks, to soften impact from a shallow retrieval, and extended them so that at least an inch was behind the bottom when the boat was tied down, to fully support the transom load.
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda 115
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda 50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Offline martin3

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 09:42:48 PM »

Dave,

I saw you quote about The Pacific brackets.
I know they galvi-dip all their brackets on site at their Chino location.
I've never seen them so sloppily done the bolts won't go thru the holes.

Did you let Pacific know of the problem?
If you have the drill them out,   I would be worried they would rust faster than normal due to removing some of the galvanize coating.

MJM3

1990 SR Skip Top  "Gypsea Soul"
2013 Etec 115H.O.

Online DARice

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 02:43:45 PM »

Dave,

I saw you quote about The Pacific brackets.
I know they galvi-dip all their brackets on site at their Chino location.
I've never seen them so sloppily done the bolts won't go thru the holes.

Did you let Pacific know of the problem?
If you have the drill them out,   I would be worried they would rust faster than normal due to removing some of the galvanize coating.

Thanks martin3, I haven’t called them yet, but will.
2005 Sea Chaser 17, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9

Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle