News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Fishy fishy in the Brook come and get on my hook.

Started by croaker stroker, November 17, 2022, 07:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker stroker

Those look like the Original Rubio's fish tacos.  :food:

Do you make beer batter ?

....and where do you get those tortillas? Those look like the kind that don't get soggy.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Norcalfish80

Not beer battered, just use a flour and spice mix I make according to how much heat I want in it! Tortillas are from Trader Joe's, they don't really get soggy and taste great. My wife makes hers not fried, big health food gal, and just puts spices on it and cooks it in a pan. Now I want to go catch some halibut haha. Great both ways but definitely easy to overcook it!
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

croaker stroker

Quote from: Norcalfish80 on November 19, 2022, 10:39:14 AM
Not beer battered, just use a flour and spice mix I make according to how much heat I want in it! Tortillas are from Trader Joe's, they don't really get soggy and taste great. My wife makes hers not fried, big health food gal, and just puts spices on it and cooks it in a pan. Now I want to go catch some halibut haha. Great both ways but definitely easy to overcook it!

Your wife sounds like mine...But she loves Rubios tacos on Taco Tuesday. She wont eat fried food except the greasy deep fried fish from Rubios. (Wrapped in a soft un-fried tortilla) It is going to be a struggle to convince her to let me fry some of this halibut for tacos.  :jester: :circling_shark:

Thanks for the Trader Joe tip for the tortillas and for the fish coating method.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

croaker stroker

Quote from: Fisherdv on November 18, 2022, 06:49:57 PM
Whatever it actually is that's hefty and a great catch for a Cali Hali.

Im going with 38 even though, judging by the length, it was probably more like 25.  :beerchug:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

martin3

Quote from: croaker stroker on November 20, 2022, 12:49:08 PM
Quote from: Fisherdv on November 18, 2022, 06:49:57 PM
Whatever it actually is that's hefty and a great catch for a Cali Hali.

Im going with 38 even though, judging by the length, it was probably more like 25.  :beerchug:

Even at 25lbs......it's a beautiful local halibut!
I haven't caught any bigger in quite awhile,   and I fish for them all the time.
To find any bigger,   backside of Catalina is my favorite spot.

I caught my PB 51lbs - 49 inches at Ben Weston beach about 15 years ago.
Caught it on a 6 inch live mackerel in 25ft of water.  We ran out live squid,  had a few mackerel in the tank.
Pinned one on.....it was instant bite on the drop.

MJM3

1990 SR Skip Top  "Gypsea Soul"
2013 Etec 115H.O.

Fisherdv

CS, didn't you catch a bigger one a year or two ago? I remember you posting a pic of like a 40" or something  :shrug9:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

croaker stroker

Quote from: Fisherdv on November 20, 2022, 01:50:25 PM
CS, didn't you catch a bigger one a year or two ago? I remember you posting a pic of like a 40" or something  :shrug9:
I did not personally catch that one. My buddy Sam caught it on my boat. It was caught in the same place at the same time of year.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

strokersquid

I bake at 400 for about 15 min with olive oil, garlic , and old Bay seasoning rubbed in . That's for the usual size. You have a monster and I would need to take out of the oven and check a couple of times to see if it flakes. Next time take me with you. Our butts are usually all gone this time of year. I think you guys can keep one more and 2 inches smaller than us Norcal residents. Must be because you have more down there ?

croaker stroker

Our limit is 5. Min length 22".

I have had the best luck mid-November through mid-December.

I drift fish with a "Carolina rig", reel in free-spool so they can pick up the bait and run without feeling the sinker.

I beer battered some and it was delicious. I barbecued some again. This time only three minutes on each side....still dry and chewy?? I think I may only need a minute or two on each side??

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Norcalfish80

I've caught them every month of the year up here. I'm jealous of your guys quality though, some real trophies come from down south! The big ones are few and far between, lot of fishing pressure up here for them.
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

croaker stroker

Where we catch them, we also catch small octopus...octopi...octopuses ??

I think these larger halibut feed when the Octopus spawn ?  The octopuses are from 8" to 12".....a pretty big mouthful  :jester: 

Looking back at the picture of the fish by the ruler, she may have been longer than 36" ??  The end of the ruler is not at the tip of her nose.

A friend caught one 56 pounds. Just shy of the IGFA record. I'll see if I can locate his photo/post.

....found it !

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

ohmytodd

Quote from: croaker stroker on November 29, 2022, 09:58:23 PM
This time only three minutes on each side....still dry and chewy?? I think I may only need a minute or two on each side??

Try wrapping the halibut in a piece of prosciutto (cut the fish to size to fit), it holds in the moisture and adds a little saltiness. When the prosciutto gets crispy it's ready.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

croaker stroker

Quote from: ohmytodd on November 30, 2022, 04:25:52 AM
Quote from: croaker stroker on November 29, 2022, 09:58:23 PM
This time only three minutes on each side....still dry and chewy?? I think I may only need a minute or two on each side??

Try wrapping the halibut in a piece of prosciutto (cut the fish to size to fit), it holds in the moisture and adds a little saltiness. When the prosciutto gets crispy it's ready.

That sounds good.  :food:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

croaker stroker

Quote from: Norcalfish80 on November 29, 2022, 10:45:45 PM
I've caught them every month of the year up here. I'm jealous of your guys quality though, some real trophies come from down south! The big ones are few and far between, lot of fishing pressure up here for them.

I fished the same place a few times in September/October with no bites. Not sure if they migrate, or if they are ignoring me. 🤪

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

strokersquid

Quote from: Norcalfish80 on November 29, 2022, 10:45:45 PM
Every month of the year ! I usually stop November to early February since  live bait stops as well. Not as prolific trolling with popsicles but this gives me hope . I do hear of ones caught here during the " dead months " but figured it was so rare it was not worth doing

croaker stroker

Fall/Winter Full Moon = California Halibut

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸