Author Topic: Garmin Echomap UHD 73sv w/GT56 - looking for installation and chart advice  (Read 188 times)

Offline RileyS13

Finally pulled the trigger on this unit after over a year of hemming and hawing. Could be that the $489 price tag at Sportsman's Warehouse helped me make up my mind   :mememe:  So, now I'm wondering about which charts to buy since 73 is inland waters and I want both coastal and inland for the western US. Looking at Garmin Navionics+ vs "...Vision+" US west. Is the Vision+ worth the extra $60 or so? I know it's ultimately a personal use thing, but I have zero fishfinder experience combined with almost zero local SF Bay area fishing experience, so I will probably be pretty wowed by the lower-priced charts but don't want to find out later that the extra dinero would have added something I'll ultimately want (OK, mebbe a little FOMO, but it's up against some ancient Scottish blood!) Hmmmm, Black Friday approacheth...

Planning to pick up a Standard Horizon gx2400 soon, too, so I'll need to figure on NMEA2000 in the installation process and any advice there would be much appreciated even if it is just a link to good reads. Wish my old Honda 90 could be tied in :-(

FWIW, I was planning on sharing the info about the deal for my fellow Arima Owners to jump on, but it was a mis-price that they elected to honor (Thank you, Sportmans!) On the other hand, maybe it was a chainwide oops, so if you're in the market, it might be worth swinging by your local Sportmans  :shrug9: This was at the store in Fairfield, CA and I'm pretty sure they corrected the pricing on the one other unit they had on the shelf.
2001 17' Sea Ranger, Honda BF90

Offline fishmeister

• Fisherman
  • Member: (P)eople(E)ating(T)asty(A)nimals
  • View Gallery
Re: Garmin Echomap UHD 73sv w/GT56 - looking for installation and chart advice
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 08:37:36 AM »
I've got the Nav+.  Didn't spend the extra $60 on the Vision+.  But, money was (and still is) an object so I was kind of "cutting corners".  I do like the Nav+.

I'm happy with the Nav+.

Since I cannot compare what I never had, I cannot tell you if the extra $60 is worth it.  But, I'm happy with what I do have.

Hope it helps?
1981 Sea Hunter (Oldest Arima on the forum??)
'22 Merc 60hp, '21 Merc 9.9 Kicker
1996 Lund WC12 (A tin can that wants to be an Arima)

Offline RileyS13

Re: Garmin Echomap UHD 73sv w/GT56 - looking for installation and chart advice
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 06:48:37 PM »
Cool! My funds are definitely not limitless, either, so this is good to hear. Thanks!
2001 17' Sea Ranger, Honda BF90

Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle