News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Crab fishing at Bodega Bay

Started by Tailout, November 12, 2022, 08:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tailout

I haven't seen anyone mention crab fishing? We've been 5 times since the opener on the 5th. We started right out front in 170' 15x02 and did good, then we moved up off the Russian River, because it was closer to the bottom fishing grounds at the Fort Ross reef. Wide open crabbing, big fat crabs. One ring had 21 jumbos. The ling cod bite is very good right now on the south end of the reef.
What's in your fish box??
2022 Arima 19' Sea Chaser Yellowtail  115 hp Yamaha, Yamaha 9.9 kicker
Fish Rite 17x54 drift boat 6hp Yamaha
2007  Sea Ranger 19',  90 hp Honda 8hp Honda Kicker (Sold)

Norcalfish80

Limited on crab last weekend out the gate. Going again Sunday. Hit Bodega for rockfish only yesterday, did just okay I've never fished rockfish there before. One solid ling, some nice verms, a canary, tons of blacks or blues, and a gopher or copper. Also caught two large sole. Fun day exploring some new water. Probably go out of there again before the closure for rockies.
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

Tailout

Sounds like you did better than "just ok" did you fish at the sunken reef/fort Ross area? It's about a 13 mile run from Bodega bay. Yesterday it was lights out Cabezon/ling cod catching.

Norcalfish80

Yeah fished that area and off Jenner. Still dialing in Bodega I mostly fish the gate. Crabbed out the gate yesterday and smoked three nice limits with Christian in an hour and change. Fun times! Hope to meet you one day at Bodega.
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

Subourbonman

Went out to HMB on Thursday, launched the boat, parked the truck and tried to start the engine. It ran rough. Brought it home and I don't know how, but there was water in the carb bowls. This is even with me using Startron fuel stabilizer. Needless to say, missed out on a gorgeous day. Last time I was on the water was for the Blue Angels, must have been the rain.

Jose
Jose D

2000 16' Arima Sea Explorer Custom Pilot House
80Hp Yamaha
Lorance HDS 7

Tailout

Anybody using the Crack'n Crab? This thing works great! I've always boiled my crab with the backs on guts in, thought it added flavor. The last two boils I've cleaned the crab with this gismo and boiled for only 10 minutes, everybody's saying it's the best I've ever done 👍 I must agree.

fishmeister

Quote from: Tailout on November 16, 2022, 07:08:14 PM
Anybody using the Crack'n Crab? This thing works great! I've always boiled my crab with the backs on guts in, thought it added flavor. The last two boils I've cleaned the crab with this gismo and boiled for only 10 minutes, everybody's saying it's the best I've ever done 👍 I must agree.

Haven't seen/used any sort of "gismo" before.  But, I've been cleaning the crab before cooking (without the back shells and guts) for many ages.

First variation of this that I saw was when I was young (10-12yrs old).  I was with a friend and his dad was doing this.  He simply had a double-blade ax buried in a block of wood.  Cracked the crab over the open blade portion of the ax.

My current take on this is to use a 5-gallon bucket.  I first line the bucket with a garbage bag.  Then I use the edge of the bucket to crack the crab.  A few twists and the leg sections come away from the back and guts.  I then pick the gills off and throw the sections into the boiling salt water.  Yummy!  and no guts later on.  Having the plastic bag already in the bucket makes it easy to throw the backs into the bucket after cracking and later dispose of them in the trash  (Thankfully, my trash collection day is Monday.  So, if I'm doing this on the weekend, the trash doesn't stink too badly.)
1981 Sea Hunter (Oldest Arima on the forum??)
'22 Merc 60hp, '21 Merc 9.9 Kicker
1996 Lund WC12 (A tin can that wants to be an Arima)

Norcalfish80

I do the same as you ^ works well
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

croaker stroker

Saw this on Instagram. I wonder if it would cook crabs??

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

strokersquid

hoping to get out the GG this Saturday if the wave gods change their minds. Spent a lot of time getting the cages ready only to have GFG again make us use hoops at the last minute so was not ready to go out on opening day. Planning to go just north of north bar in 50 to 80 fow with rockfish heads and bodies with anchovies in the cups. Not wild about using hoops but any crabbing before the commies ( commercial guys ) strip the joint clean.

christianbrat

i sold all my traps and much prefer the hoops tbh. 3 limits in 1.5h is hard to argue with
1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster

strokersquid

Hey Christian , where did you guys go ? Went off of Stinson 60-100 fow with rockfish in bait bags and cups filled with squid and chovies. 7 traps, 3 dungies on 2 pulls reset all deeper after the first pull. Did you go out the channel into the middle grounds or out of HMB ?

christianbrat

the location doesnt seem to change much. I've been fishing marin and san mateo
1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster