News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

boat ladders

Started by strokersquid, June 07, 2012, 10:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strokersquid

looking to get some sort of ladder, preferably folding, in case my son and i want to swim, ( or end up swimming), it would be a bear to get back on if one fell off !

bay arima

I saw one at West Marine for about $45.00. Not sure if it folds.
1985 Sea Hunter
2003 Suzuki 50hp

strokersquid

would like to store it out of the way when not in use. deck room is at a premium on a SR 17. how about a rope ladder ? the ones i see on amazon do not rank well. what do you guys use ? when that whale drags you in the drink what do you use to get back on board ?

finfinn

Got the Arima side mount folding one and it works great - just ask Greg the Scuba guy. Do not know who makes them for Arima.
Had a glorious SR19 Finnesse.
You can not change the length of your life, but boating does increase its width and depth.

FISHSTALKER

I believe Garelick is the ladder supplier for the Arima. I could be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere.
91' Sea Ranger 19' cabin 91 Merc 115, 05' Honda 15, Furuno FCV 585, Cannon DT20's, Bert's track sys.

SRanger

The rope ladder worked for me and I am about the least agile person I know.  It wasn't necessarily graceful but I got back in without injury. Sure does fold up small.

SR
99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)

strokersquid

BurnsieBabe

Windline FDL-4B is what Arima uses.  It folds to fit in fishbox. They comes with plastic bases that crack easily but Arima has some SS bases that will last forever.  Garelick makes a great one (18019) to go on the sponson and it folds up when not in use. Don  has mounting instructions to account for the sponson angles.

Belinda
Belinda Burns
Arima Marine International Inc from 1997
Defiance Marine LLC from 2013 (since Arima purchase)

strokersquid

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

I've got a folding portable that came with the boat and attaches over the side. It's only if there is another person on board to deploy it.  A Fixed ladder with fold down multipe rungs is a better. One note....Just make sure that whatever you use extends well below the bottom of hull. Water logged clothing that adds additional weight and cold water may seriously restrict one's ability to climb back in the boat.
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

StreamFixer

I sure would not like to have to rely on self rescue with or without a ladder available.  Every time I have been in the water (diving mostly) unless I were on the leeward side with the wind pushing the boat toward me, there would be no way I could even catch up to the boat.  If I can't get to the boat, lack of a ladder not much of a problem.

If I were to fish alone, I would seriously consider a harness, under my PFD, and tether to the boat.  At least I would be able to get back to the boat.  Board using doelfin for a foothold, coming through the motor well.  Might break a trim tab, but compared to staying in the cold water, that's a small price to pay.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

strokersquid

Quote from: LvrWurst 21 SR Skip on June 09, 2012, 08:26:10 AM
I've got a folding portable that came with the boat and attaches over the side. It's only if there is another person on board to deploy it.  A Fixed ladder with fold down multipe rungs is a better. One note....Just make sure that whatever you use extends well below the bottom of hull. Water logged clothing that adds additional weight and cold water may seriously restrict one's ability to climb back in the boat.
thats fine. i never go out alone. this would be for swimming

bay arima

I like the idea of using the Doel fin and motor well to get in. I have to try it out.
1985 Sea Hunter
2003 Suzuki 50hp

steeler

Just make sure the motor isn't running or at least it is in nuetral if you use the doel fin.
The best time to go fishing is when its raining and when it ain't

scubagreg

Quote from: finfinn on June 08, 2012, 11:04:53 AM
Got the Arima side mount folding one and it works great - just ask Greg the Scuba guy. Do not know who makes them for A     Yep ladder worked great... and fin fin was a great "live boat"
88' 17' SR, Skip tower, 2001 BF90 Honda, Lenco trim tabs, starboard upgrade & saddle tanks.

strokersquid

Quote from: scubagreg on June 09, 2012, 08:09:28 PM
Got the Arima side mount folding one and it works great - just ask Greg the Scuba guy. Do not know who makes them for A     Yep ladder worked great... and fin fin was a great "live boat"

does this have to be put on or does it fold and stow under the ski locker ?

finfinn

Stows in fish box, but I usually have it on my right side when driving - kind of fits in the space between the storage seat and the little shelves on the inside of the hull. When used the top of the ladder slips into the holes in the transom made for the ladder. Works fine for swimming and stuff too.
Had a glorious SR19 Finnesse.
You can not change the length of your life, but boating does increase its width and depth.

pnwislanddog

Amazing stories! A lot of you experienced Arima owners say you have ladders, but (as I'm taught to believe on this site) without photos, you're simply saying so didn't make it happen. With all due respect, I'd hate to think that you're ladder tales are just another fish story.  :arms:

C'mon. Show me some photos. I'm a new boat owner and my particular concern isn't entering from the water, but from a dinghy/tender into the boat while on a mooring or anchored. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I'll be able to manage without a ladder or step, but my wife and friends are decidedly less agile. Please share some solutions. Photos would be really nice to see.

Jeff

strokersquid

what's a live boat ? like a live well ?

StreamFixer

Quote from: steeler on June 09, 2012, 06:49:41 PM
Just make sure the motor isn't running or at least it is in nuetral if you use the doel fin.

I agree, however, if you have fallen overboard without a tether, and the boat is in gear, not a problem.  You will never get to it anyway.

With a tether, boat in gear, you have a SERIOUS problem.  I sure hope there is some other folks in the vicinity to help...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

woody

Here's what's on my boat for 24 years.  Have posted additional pictures with details in my gallery under "Watch Cat".  Will hold a big person, but you can add more support or a double rung if you want. Occasionally on CL for $50+-.

A little pipe, bend (see an upholsterer if needed) and a bit of teak.  Works well with swimmers, especially teens. PM for measurements if wanted.

Yes I can see (pictures don't do it justice) a bit of renewal would pretty it up.  Honestly it doesn't look that faded and weathered in real time.

Woody

scubagreg

Quote from: strokersquid on June 10, 2012, 09:35:12 AM
Strokersquid ...Live boat is a scuba diver term for someone in the boat to pick you up when you surface. With out a "live boat" you would drop anchor, and than swim back to the boat.
[/quotequote]
88' 17' SR, Skip tower, 2001 BF90 Honda, Lenco trim tabs, starboard upgrade & saddle tanks.

StreamFixer

Quote from: woody on June 10, 2012, 10:41:37 AM
Honestly it doesn't look that faded and weathered in real time.

Woody

I've never met a mother who did not think her child beautiful   :whistle:

All y'all will have to forgive Woody.  His eyesight is becoming somewhat affected by his advanced age   :jester:

That being said, that little platform is handy on a number of levels.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

strokersquid

not sure if i want to put on a permanent mount since only the starboard side would be avaliable on the back. the kicker is on port side.

pnwislanddog

Woody, that little platform off the back looks to be very handy. Making one isn't any big deal for me, but how to mount to the boat? Does one use sheetmetal type screws thru the hull or drill all the way through and use bolts, nuts, and backing plate? Being a new owner, I'm waaayyy down on the learning curve re: the boat.

Thanks, Jeff.