News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Let’s Talk Reel Drag

Started by salmonchaser, September 09, 2022, 09:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yachter Yat

You call it "topshot", but we call it "leader".....(or at least that's what we always called it on this side).  I never recall running much more than about 10 feet or so of mono ahead of the terminal tackle. Not only served as a shock absorber, but we also thought it may have been a bit more durable against the bottom when jigging.  Anyway, year's ago, we always used that mono "leader" for groundfishing here in the Atlantic.  Getting it tied to the dacron we used at the time was never a problem.  That said, because of the smaller diameter of braid, I guess it might be a different story.  I still have this little plastic thing we called a "gadget" that we used to hold the two lines in place while making the windings for the connection.  It was made of red plastic and measured just a few inches in length.  Some of you might know what I mean.

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Danno

The single biggest improvement I mad in my salmon fishing equipment was a long parabolic rod. I purchased it when barbs were outlawed. The rod takes a lot of bend and helps keep the fish from tossing the hook. Less need to play with the drag as well. I love that 12' rod. Probably not the best for a rod holder but it landed the fish below.

2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

martin3

Quote from: tacoman on October 14, 2022, 09:33:16 AM
Does anyone here use mono top shot with braid?  A couple years back I switched to adding 30 or so feet of mono top shot and it seems to add a bit of "shock absorber" to the system.  Since the top shot adjustment I've been losing way less fish....or maybe I'm just getting better at this game lol.

Tight lines!

I spool my bigger reels about 2/3 with braid and use a LONG top shot of mono. (50 to 75 yards)
Basically,    I am only using the braid backing to gain some overall capacity.

On my smaller reels,   I still run straight mono.
I am a big fan of 12-20lb pink Ande.

Growing up fishing mono,    I'm not a fan of the braid only feel.
Stretch of the mono is the feeling I am used to and I am 100% convinced it fishes better.
Hooked fish stay hooked due to the slight stretch of the mono.

MJM3

1990 SR Skip Top  "Gypsea Soul"
2013 Etec 115H.O.

disposable

This is interesting. I didn't grow up fishing (started about 15 years ago), so I missed the "old school" mono training and instead all the gear-head cool kids that I learned from were already bought into the "small reels/short leaders thing", especially here in so cal... I'm comfortable with it now, but it's a whole deck of cards: I gotta make sure my reel drags are maintained perfectly and adjusted just so, mated with a rod that's gonna bend at just the right weight but won't bottom-out until just the right spot... and those knots better be perfect and those lines better be solid! It's a delicate balancing act, but I do love the sensitivity and control of spectra with a short topshot. The fish is over there doing what it's gonna do, and my fancy pants tackle is doing all the give and take right in front of me. My first shock absorber is the top half of the rod and the next level is the drag. If my fish is outgunned I feel every twist and turn as I haul it in, and if we have a more even match it's like playing tug-of-war in socks on a waxed floor, constant back and forth action until you find a little advantage somehow.

BTW, I DO fish longer topshots on my salmon gear, with slower more parabolic rods, because that barbless hook has to stay in there through the whole fight. And I sometimes have longer mono on my RF gear since I can lose a lot of yardage playing with rocks... but in those scenarios I feel like I'm fishing in gloves or something. Interesting.
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

Kimbrey

Quote from: tacoman on October 14, 2022, 09:33:16 AM
Does anyone here use mono top shot with braid?  A couple years back I switched to adding 30 or so feet of mono top shot and it seems to add a bit of "shock absorber" to the system.  Since the top shot adjustment I've been losing way less fish....or maybe I'm just getting better at this game lol.

Tight lines!
I've been using it for several years also.  I first started mainly the thicker diameter of the mono or flouro stayed in the downrigger clip better.  For the tuna fishing I kind of wish on my bait rods I would have loaded the reels with 100% mono large Westport charter boat style.  Just tie the hook on the mainline.  No messing with needing to occasionally tie a new topshot on while on the water.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Jakemetz

I use a mono top shot on one of my salmon poles for shock absorber and down rigger clip grip. First time I've tried it, uni knot, seems to work fine, few fish lost.  It's the backup pole, small lvl wind, so wanted a bit more line than all mono. Main poles for salmon are Shimano moocher 4000

As for drag, let me run if they really want to. Other wise winch em in...