News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

2 Canada Coast Guard Auxillary members dead

Started by GoodDays, June 04, 2012, 07:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoodDays

Sadly there was a training accident yesterday which left 2 Canadian Coast Guard Auxillary search and rescue volunteers dead. They capsized their Zodiac 733 Fast Response Craft in Skookumchuck Narrows near Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast of BC. two crew members were trapped underneath the vessel and died.

A sad and timely reminder that even with the best of equipment and excellent training, things can go bad Fast !.

Stay Safe !
Not such a Good Day...
Greg

xplorz

A very tragic accident. Prayers go out to family and friends.
'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.

GregE

My son and I were with a group of SCUBA divers with Porpoise Bay and dove the narrows on a 'drift dive'.  this was at slack and as soon as the tide change started we were going the other way, quickly.  :bigshock:  the volume of water flowing through that channel is mind boggling.  Eddies and whirlpools abound. 
Prayers for the families.
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Chuck Jones

This is such a tragedy....but also a reminder to those who might venture into these waters.  If something like this can happen to trained experts, just imagine what can happen to a less-than-experienced boater who happened to anchor up or even try to run this stretch of water.

My heart and prayers go out to the families and the Coast Guard Unit that is undoubtedly feeling the shock and agony of this tragedy.

I still don't understand how they were trapped UNDER the overturned craft....but that's simply a matter of curiosity and not meant to detract from the tragedy....but for future reference if one of us was to become involved in a similar incident....what does one do if you find yourself in an overturned watercraft?  I don't know the hull style....does anyone?  Why can't you kick out from underneath and go downstream hoping for a pickup??? Can anyone shed any light on what one might do if we were to find ourselves...God forbid....in a similar situation?  There wasn't enough information to give me a clue of what to avoid...what to do if it happened to one of us.  The obvious is to avoid the area of extreme turbulence ...but beyone that????
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

GoodDays

The emphasis in the last few years has been adding more and more personal floatation..   perhaps they just were too bouyant ? or got bonked on the head ?   also, that boat is equipped with self righting gear that needs to be manually triggerred.. there is a large D-ring on the lower transom that needs to be filled to deploy a large inflatable bag that re rights the vessel.. my understanding is that it didnt work...

So.... not only do you need the safety gear... check it, service it, and know how to use it !!!

GD Greg