News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Upgrading Sonar/GPS unit: budget = $500-800, recommendation/input, please

Started by Mawgie, June 02, 2012, 06:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mawgie

Folks -

I just picked up a  1999 17' Sea Pacer in great shape.
I am shopping for a color sonar/GPS unit.
Budget = $500-800.
Lake map chip compatability required.

USES: I live in Upstate Central NY.
Sonar will be used fishing rivers and lakes, at depths rangiing from 10' to probably no more than 90', or so.
Trolling for trout, salmon, pike.
Locating bait to locate fish.
Marking schools of hungry perch.
Trollling for walleye.
Additionally, I want to learn more about navigation over time. 

Color and HD are mandatory.
I prefer Humminbird, but will also consider Lowrance.
I would really like a 7" display, but think that will be out of my budget.

Here are two candidates I like:

1) Humminbird 858c, on sale at cabela's (Bargain Cave) for $899, a little high for my price range, but: 7", 400x800 pixels.
No side imaging.

2) Humminbird 597 ci, $499 (Cabelas):
5", 640 x 640 pixels. No side imaging.

Any input, or leads on good deals will be most appreciated. 
Thank you.

-Mawgie

croaker stroker

I've got the 788ci. No problem seeing the 5" screen for me. I like the 640 resolution. the higher, the better.

Do you need the side imaging ?  Might be useful in a lake or river ??  I use mine in the ocean.

Welcome to the group.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

amazing grace

congrats on your boat purchase. Sounds like a great package. Not sure about  how location plays into things.

I have a HB 597hd ci di unit. Used some last year. Still learning it. Like it quite a bit so far.

Right now as I am working and saving for my current Arima project boat.
The two at the top of my list is Raymarine and Furuno.
Both have models in your price range and are excellent units. I do not own one. But many do here on Abog. They speak highly of them. Lowrance is good as well.
Out of those four you should be able to get a really good unit.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Chuck Jones

I just picked up a Lowrance HDS Gen II that has a host of features including the ability to accept chips for maps, NEMA, structure scan, GPS etc....but didn't want to spend the additional $99 for the Navionics right now.

The five inch screen is totally adequate for me, even with old eyes.  I run a second older Lowrance X15 7inch screen on the back.  I was actually looking for a HDS Gen I because I primarily use it for reading the bottom and finding fish.  You can probably save some money on the Gen I units which are on sale now and  pretty much the same as the Gen II except that the II's have faster processors.  The color 5 inch screens aren't as spiffy as the larger ones, but the cost is a factor.  Big screens are big money.  When you go to buy one, tell the salesman WHAT your criteria is before you buy....fishing lakes? salt water? How deep?  Want to read highly detailed structure?  Need side scan?  Just want to locate fish and know depth?  Want ability to replay previous area covered?  Want multiple features like GPS, fuel flow, tach and other engine readouts?

Define your basic needs first...then go look for something in your price range that meets those needs....and throw it up on the forum or go to Google and enter the name of the unit followed by the word "reviews" and see what folks have to say about it.  Don't depend on the salesman to define your needs for you.  You can end up with functions you'll never use, or if you're like me..too complex for me to ferret through...Google is your friend....as are the many knowledgeable and up-front people on this forum.
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking