News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Kicker Bracket and Kicker for Sea Ranger 19'

Started by surecatch, May 23, 2012, 11:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surecatch

Hi Guys...  Just became and Arima owner recently.  Picked up a 2003 Sea Ranger Soft top with a Honda 90.  I wanted to add the T9.9 kicker to it.  But before I do I wanted to see what tips and tricks I need to add it.  What size kicker?  25" or 20" shaft? Is a t9.9 to heavy for it? What kicker bracket would work great for a 19' sea ranger.  Before I start drilling holes into the hull for the kicker bracket, what should I know?

I'm also considering adding trim tabs to better the ride at a later date.  What's a good trim tab at a reasonable price?  Thanks for any help and insight.

Tight lines!
SureCatch

Hydro-Therapy

surecatch the T9.9 is a perfect motor for your 19. As for the bracket and shaft length  would depend on if you are going tiller handle or remote control , what kind of steering you have and do you have a bracket on the boat now. My choice would be remote control 20'shaft on a fixed bracket . There are several really nice hook ups for steering if you have hydraulic. For cable steering you are pretty much stuck with the easy steer. With so many different ways you set this up . I all depends how much you would like to spend.

As for the trim tabs you can go really cheap with the self adjusting ones or step up to the Insta trim hydraulics for under $400 depending on where you find them online. Do some searching you can usually find a deal on them somewhere.

H-T

Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

surecatch

Thanks H-T....  I have hydraulic steering on the main...  For the kicker, I would probably go Tiller Steer and later down the road add a tr-1 gold to it.

Hydro-Therapy

That system would work best on a fixed type bracket . Do you have a bracket on the boat now ? To mount or replace the bracket  you will have to cut out some holes on the inner liner of the sponson and dig out some foam to be able to get to where you can tighten the bolts.There is a thread on this somewhere in the archives if you search.

H-T

surecatch

H-T.... There's not kicker bracket now.. what's a good recommendation for a fixed kicker bracket...  so if I get a fixed kicker bracket, then it would be good to have power tilt on the kicker? I tried doing a search for installing a kicker bracket and came up empty..

I found the instatrim 12"X9" kit on harleerod for $334 with $20 off (314 out the door)... seems like a good deal.. it's recommended for 20' to 23' boats.. I'm wondering if that would work on the 19'...  A 12X8 trim tab is recommended for 18' to 20'.  I'm thinking the extra 1' width woundn't make much of a difference.. i might we wrong.. 

Threeweight

Do you do a lot of ocean fishing?  If not, I'd go with Smart Tabs ($100-150).  Much cheaper, and many Arima owners have had good luck with them on the smaller boats.

I would go with a fixed bracket, and an XL shaft kicker with power tilt and trim.  On a 19', a Yamaha T9.9 should do great.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

woody

Surecatch

Welcome aboard.  Do us a favor and put a bit of a hint where you live so we can let you know of local stuff.

As 3Wgt says, give us a hint about the use of your boat and where you do your boating.  You don't need shot gun answers but we can't get down to the nitty gritty until we have an idea of your needs.

Like 3Wgt suggest lots of options, some for family boaters, some casual fishers and some for the die hearts, we can talk about Arima's fiberglass fixed, good metal ones in the PDX area and the rest of the boys cover most all areas in the US,

Woody

Hydro-Therapy

The 12X9 is what I have on mine and allot of the guys are also running them. As for the bracket. As Woody mentioned there are different ones available in different areas of the country. Where are you located so we may be of a greater assistance.

H-T

surecatch

Thanks for the warm welcoming guys.. I'm in the San Jose sf bay area.. I mainly fish offshore but do fish the sf bay, the delta,  rivers, and lakes.. any where there is fish..  Mostly I'm getting the trim tabs for a better ride offshore...  You think the Smart Tabs could cut what I'm asking of it?  I want a kicker for backup offshore, trolling salmon, stripers, and halibut.  I just picked up a used TR1 Gold set up for a Yamaha T8 for $800.  Hoping to pick up a Use T8 or T9.9 at a good price.   Anyone on the board in my neck of the woods?  I know guys on here are in the Oregon/Washington area.

StreamFixer

Surecatch

Thank you for picking up that TR1 for me at such a great price.  Please PM and I will send you my address so you can finish sending it along to me

StreamFixer :hoboy:
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Threeweight

Smart tabs work great for helping to get the boat on plane faster, keeping the bow down, and holding plane down at lower speeds.  Also help with list from side to side due to weight in the boat.  The bow down part really helps the ride in rough water.  No fussing with switches as they are always doing their thing, automatically.

The downside is they are always "on", so at times when you want the tabs retracted (following seas in a bar crossing, for instance) you can't trim them up.  They also don't allow for manual adjustment to compensate for quartering seas, wind coming at you at an angle, etc...

Enniberg here is one of the Arima big water guys (fishes the west shore of Vancouver Island) and has had good experiences with Smart Tabs.  I have them on my 17' and like them a lot.  On a 19', I'd be tempted to with manuals, just for the ability to compensate for quartering seas on a long ocean run. 

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

fishing eagle

I have a Yamaha T8 on my SR19 and it does a great job. The T9.9 is the same powerhead & weight. My T8 is a long shaft (20") and mounted on a Garelick bracket. I keep the Garelick all the way up or in travel position when the boat is on the trailer. Before launching I drop the Garelick down to the lowest position and then leave it there while my boat is in the water. My T8 has power tilt and remote control so I just tilt it up and down from the helm as well as starting and controlling it. I use the Panther T-4 electronic steering  with the wireless radio control  option.

Check out my photos in my gallery. My SR19 was already setup for a Garelick mount at the Arima factory and all I had to do was to remove the bolts installed by Arima and use longer bolts to mount my Garelick mount. I did have to make some adjustments to the Garelick bracket as two mounting holes did not align up properly.

I am into my third season with the T8 high thrust kicker and loving it.
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

GregE

Our T8 Yami handles Rebait just fine and with S L 22, AK bulkhead and 106 gallon tank she weighs more than most Arimas,

A kicker will not get a boat on plane so you are limited to hull speed with is about 6 knots depending on hull shape.  More HP beyond that to reach hull speed is just more cost and weight

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

So.Cali

Surecatch, welcome aboard! Being in San Jose, you can run into liverwurst, chuck jones, bay arima. There are probably a couple more, but those three I know off the top of my head. If you find yourself further south, you have myself, croaker stroker, and secret spot. Im not much good for advice since I'm new to the boat world and learning myself. I'll gladly offer some sarcasm, and the obvious wrong advice. Ask me a car question, and I'm on it. Good luck on finding the right setup for a kicker and tabs. There is a plethora of advice here, and everybody is willing to help. I have learned a lot myself, and just need to start applying the things I have learned. Good luck, enjoy and welcome :arms:

surecatch

steamfixer.. the tr1 is on its way to you.

threeweight... I'll keep the smart tabs in mind.. but I think I'm leaning towards the instatrim since I do a lot of ocean fishing.  Thanks for the advice buddy.

fishing eagle.. I looked through your photo albums and you did a great job on your arima 19'  You set it up nice.  How do you like the panther steer?  I think I had the previous Panther steer on previous boat (a north river) and it worked great until it corroded on me.  I've been keeping an eye out for a tr1 gold, and got lucky on a great deal.  Hope it it works when I receive it though (I mean when steamfixer receives it).

H-T.. Glad to hear the 12X9 would work great for the 19'...  is $314 a great deal for that unit from harleerod?

Rebait...  thats a sweet looking boat you have...  I've been eyeing it and drooling.  you're right about no difference in the T8 or T9.9.. just more money...Only difference is they stopped making the T8 on new models..  What's the kicker bracket you have there?  

So.Cali... Nice to meet you buddy..  I've been boating for 6 years.. and I'm still learning and doing things wrong..  

Last question is since I'll probably steer with the TR1 gold and I'll only need the tiller to start and stop the kicker, I'm thinking I don't need power tilt on it.  I just need a bracket that I could lift the motor out of the water when I'm on the move.

Hydro-Therapy

Surecatch  314 is a great deal. On the power tilt you will need it even with a lift up bracket. The brackets do NOT have enough  travel to get the motor completely out of the water even using the 20" shaft motor. If you find a good deal on kicker that is remote control w/power  tilt let me know. Every time I pull mine up I wish I had it.

H-T  (Larry)

StreamFixer

I moved my Graelich onto my 19 with a T-8.  Up and locked when traveling on trailer or my main.  Down only when trolling.

When on the trailer the kicker is down, when traveling on main, kicker is up.  Get electric tilt, your back will love you.  Mine loves to hear that tilt motor when i press the button.

The Graelich mount is manual, but once you figure out the pull/lift/push sequence, it goes up and down easily enough.  Mine is rated for about 50# more than the motor weight (don't quote me on that as I am relying on memory and rampant senility bites me regularly) :facepalm:

StreamFixer

P.S.  I'm out of town which likely explains why I have not yet received the TR-1.  I'll be looking for it when I return Friday   :clap:  Where do I send the winning lottery number I promised for payment?  (I can assure you they are winners because Woody told me so when he sold them to me :beerchug:)
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

bay arima

Welcome Surecatch. I am also new here. These guys (and gals) here are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. They have helped me out tremendously with any questions I have. Its also really cool to see the fishing reports from other parts of the country.

I am also from the bay, San Francisco. For now I have mainly fished the bay since my Arima is a 15'. Soon enough I will be out inshore fishing from Bodega to Monterey. Since Berkeley just got chovies, I will probably focus around there for now. Then maybe rock fish out of HMB or Bodega. Hopefully some sea bass in Monterey and salmon out the gate. I may see you outside when the albies run but I'll be in my buddys boat. Good luck man.
1985 Sea Hunter
2003 Suzuki 50hp

wedocq

Do you already have the T9.9? If not, a 25" shaft T8 would more than suffice! I would go with the hydraulic trim tabs personally. They allow you to level the boat when you have a couple of hefty guys sitting on the same side as the kicker.  :whistle: Plus you can really customize on the fly how much trim you need for the current sea conditions.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

finfinn

I have the 25" T8 on my 19 and it has plenty oomph for trolling and a back-up on the ocean. Yep, they stopped making it, but you might find a used one priced reasonably. They sold quite a few of them as motors for small sail boats. Happy hunting!
Had a glorious SR19 Finnesse.
You can not change the length of your life, but boating does increase its width and depth.

StreamFixer

I am hearing rumors Yamaha is making an F-8 (Fuel Injected???)

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Threeweight

F8 (or F6, or F9.9) are the standard, non-hi thrust Yamaha kickers (you can still put a hi-thrust prop on them).  If they add fuel injection, that would be sweet!

--- Hunter S. Thompson