Author Topic: Troll Master  (Read 1423 times)

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
Troll Master
« on: February 11, 2011, 09:03:13 PM »
Many of you may recall the 'fun'   :hoboy:   I experienced adapting the Mercury troll master set up to my '94 Johnson 8 hp 4s.  Had to disconnect the tiller throttle completely.  I have taken the troll master off that motor and am putting it on my new '05 Yamaha T8.

For those of you not familiar with the Troll master units, they are an electrical throttle control for kicker motors.  Last time I was at Lacy Cabela's I noticed there were several in the 'bargain cave' for $75 (the '2' models that have been discontinued).  The new model '3's run several hundred (around 300+).

You can research the model differences.  The point I would like to make is , buy any model '2' and order the appropriate adapter kit for $34 plus a couple of bucks for shipping unless you really "need" the model '3' features.  The '2' only runs the throttle.

Back to the install.  The adapter kit arrived today.  I have taken the servo off the Mercury mount and am about to embark on installing it to the T8.  Looks pretty straight forward.  Woody is coming over to work on his fish table early next week and will probably try to 'help' me  :doh: with the Troll Master thus making the job 5 to 10 times as hard, and long, as it should be. :facepalm:

I'll report the progress and try to remember to take some pictures, however, the install instructions on the troll master web site are really good with lots of pictures.

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline Threeweight

Re: Troll Master
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 10:51:45 PM »
Russ, I  did the install of one on my Honda a few weeks ago.  Works great!  Let me know if you guys have any troubles with it.

Main lesson I picked up was that you may need to pull the "wheel" off the servo and rotate it, to get it in good position to move the throttle open and closed.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Online Peddler

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 10:42:33 PM »
I'm about ready to put my Troll Master back on my kicker.  I thought I was upgrading when I installed a TR-1, but it's been one hassle after another.  Don't get fooled into buying a refurb TR-1 as a means of saving any money.  I'd be ahead if I'd bought the new one from the start at this point.  :doh:
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Maury

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 09:38:18 AM »
StreamFixer,
when was this.."Last time I was at Lacy Cabela's I noticed there were several in the 'bargain cave' for $75 (the '2' models that have been discontinued). "???
My brother wants to put one on a 2stroke and while they are not made for 2strokers, we may be able to create something.
Cheers
Maury

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 09:49:11 AM »
Maury

About a month ago.  However, I would not let that slow down your search.  vxhatch had noted the same thing the first of the year and there were still 5 or 6 there when I went.  My understanding is they will work on any motor 2s or 4s so long as the linkage is correct.  There is an applications section on their web site telling you which kit works with which motor.  There was not one for my old johnson and I still managed to make it work, just had to disconnect the tiller throttle control.

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'