News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Rod holders on rails next to cabin 19HT

Started by Norcalfish80, January 17, 2022, 03:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcalfish80

Has anyone installed rod holders on the rails next to the start of the hard top? I stuck Scotty rail mounts on mine but they're garbage and move all the time. Thinking about getting some of the more expensive stainless steel holders that clamp on. Has anyone done this? Intended use would be trolling for salmon, halibut drifting and potentially albacore. On my long bucket list of things I want to do to the boat over the next few months haha. Just bought a kill bag for the cuddy cabin to clear up deck space previously occupied by a large cooler.
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

disposable

totally, and they work great, and i use them all the time. only advice i can give you is:

1- loc-tite the central/internal bolt
2- if you can find them, use the clamp-ons that have FOUR bolts instead of two. they're way more expensive but save you from re-tightening throughout the year.

sorry i don't have a good pic but it's raining right now so i had to find these old pics.
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

Norcalfish80

Quote from: disposable on January 17, 2022, 04:28:03 PM
totally, and they work great, and i use them all the time. only advice i can give you is:

1- loc-tite the central/internal bolt
2- if you can find them, use the clamp-ons that have FOUR bolts instead of two. they're way more expensive but save you from re-tightening throughout the year.

sorry i don't have a good pic but it's raining right now so i had to find these old pics.

Those are perfect, do you have a link? Glad to hear they work great!
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

croaker stroker

Make sure the clamps are stainless steel and not plated metal.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

calcoast

I added four stainless tube rod holders to my rails for rod storage. I use them occasionally for drift fishing. Make sure they don't rotate and drop rods in the water. I had to add plastic tube to better secure them. They have two bolts to secure them to the tube.
2017 19 Sea Chaser Skip Top
2017 Honda BF 135
2019 Yamaha 9.9

headduck

I placed one on each side. If you pull the insert, they are large enough to hold the nets.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

disposable

Quote from: Norcalfish80 on January 17, 2022, 04:42:01 PM

Those are perfect, do you have a link? Glad to hear they work great!

I bought a dozen when I got the boat, used them as vertical rod holders along the rail... but now the link is dead on Amazon and I just get an error page. The newer "tournament style" ones are here (but you'll have to confirm your railing diameter!):

(2x) Amarine Made Stainless Tournament Style Clamp on Fishing Rod Holder for Rails 7/8" to 1", Rail Mount Rod Holder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJ2FQPC
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

polarbill1999

I bought 4 of the ones off Amazon like disposable. Here is a Pic.  They are on their solid.

FYI, I tried scotty rail mount on some stern rails we had and couldn't get them tight enough.  They suck so I ditched them.

Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

whgordon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009AKMM5M?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Seems to be same product but save a few $$ not sure why, but these are the ones Santa got me. 
2014 19 Sea Chaser, Yamaha 115 n 9.9.
"The Fishy Knot"

AJFishin

I too bought the 4 pack off of Amazon, added some rubber to the rail, Loctite to the screws and they've been perfect.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

christianbrat

:mememe:
Quote from: whgordon on January 18, 2022, 03:13:24 PM

Seems to be same product but save a few $$ not sure why, but these are the ones Santa got me.

I have these ones too. work well!
1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster

martin3

Quote from: croaker stroker on January 17, 2022, 09:32:24 PM

Make sure the clamps are stainless steel and not plated metal.

Like the Perkos......I had this issue before.
MJM3

1990 SR Skip Top  "Gypsea Soul"
2013 Etec 115H.O.

Hunter

Quote from: christianbrat on January 18, 2022, 03:19:21 PM
:mememe:
Quote from: whgordon on January 18, 2022, 03:13:24 PM

I have these ones too. work well!

Like Christian and AJ...... I have 6 of these rail mounted rod holders scattered around my tin can......   Mine are the Black Tip's sold by West Marine.....but my guess is that they are exactly the same as the Amarines and just sold under a different brand name.....  Probably both come from China.    I have NEVER had any issues with mine.   For me the key is to use an appropriate diameter clear vinyl tubing (from Ace)......slice it, place over rail and install the clamp-on holders.   The vinyl tubing REALLY works to prevent any rotation or loosening.   Plus is resolves ANY potential issues is the two metals of the rail and the clamp happen to be dissimilar metals.....  PLUS...it'll keep those beautiful Arima SS rails from getting scratched up..

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Norcalfish80

Some excellent advice here thanks guys. Will go grab some stainless ones from West Marine and get some plastic tubing, I like that trick Hunter!
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA