Author Topic: Mystery wire  (Read 593 times)

Online agoodhi

Mystery wire
« on: November 29, 2021, 11:51:10 AM »
While working on cleaning up the helm, there's an orange wire with green stripe that comes from horn area on roof of cuddy.  It runs to the switch panel.  When I pulled off the switch panel, I noticed it was not connected to anything (or it somehow disconnected itself when I pulled the panel out).  Any idea what this is for?  It's not for the horn, since I could see those wires connected to switch panel (in the pic I temporarily disconnected the other orange horn wire at top right) and everything else on the switch panel seems to be connected.

Thanks,
Ry
'04 Sea Ranger 17 | '04 Yamaha F115 (SeaStar, Apollo SS 13-3/8x15 prop) | Pacific Trailer (Kodiak disc) | FishOn River/Sport Arch | Lenco 9x12 tabs

Online christianbrat

Re: Mystery wire
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 11:53:20 AM »
While working on cleaning up the helm, there's an orange wire with green stripe that comes from horn area on roof of cuddy.  It runs to the switch panel.  When I pulled off the switch panel, I noticed it was not connected to anything (or it somehow disconnected itself when I pulled the panel out).  Any idea what this is for?  It's not for the horn, since I could see those wires connected to switch panel (in the pic I temporarily disconnected the other orange horn wire at top right) and everything else on the switch panel seems to be connected.

Thanks,
Ry

maybe a cabin light or wiper motor?
1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
Honda BF90 & BF5
Built not Bought

If i could be an appliance I would be a toaster

Online DeskJockey

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 12:01:05 PM »
Yeah, I just went through this on my boat as well.

Check the wiper motor, nav lights, cuddy light.  Using a multimeter to check for continuity is typically easiest in case it changes color under the headliner somewhere.

I believe I had a red, pink, and black wire that ran to the wiper motor, but mine didn't have a stripe.  It was also old and not tinned copper.
1991 17' Sea Ranger

Offline Diablo

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 03:17:47 PM »
That could be going to an encabulator. Do you have one or a turboencabulator?
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Online BayWolf

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 03:46:29 PM »
That could be going to an encabulator. Do you have one or a turboencabulator?

Orange and green wouldn’t be on a tuboencablulator unless it was pre-zenith distribution. More than likely, remnants from either a encabulator or possibly a endodifusinator.
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:

Online BayWolf

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 03:54:49 PM »
All fun aside, honestly, that wire could run to almost anything, or nothing.  There is no real wire guide that I’ve seen on these boats.  And with the real possibility that the PO used anything that was laying around, the problem just gets compounded. 

The only sure way to know is to test the wire using a continuity meter, or manually tracing it. Sorry, but that’s the reason so many of us pulled out all the “old stuff” and re-wired our boats the “right” way.  Using good quality stuff and marine grade wire.  Nothing can be as frustrating as electrical gremlins!

First Sergeant

Offline headduck

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 03:57:07 PM »
Does it match a prescribed marine wiring color code..?

If not...most probably aschizomatic discombobulator.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 06:05:49 AM by headduck »
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Online martin3

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 04:18:36 PM »
On my boat (1990 SR)  the Orange wire in that bundle went to the wiper motor.
I removed it all during the re-wire.

MJM3

1990 SR Skip Top  "Gypsea Soul"
2013 Etec 115H.O.

Online Pdxmgunner

• Fisherman
  • High Speed - Low Drag 1988 17SC Suzuki DF90
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2021, 07:11:45 PM »
Most likely wiper as that motor has multiple 12v needs.

Online fishmeister

• Chinook
  • Member: (P)eople(E)ating(T)asty(A)nimals
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2021, 08:24:36 PM »
Pretty certain that this is the main control wiring to the flux capacitor.  If you get the boat up to 88 mph, you can travel back in time.  You can go to the moment before all the wanna-be comedians showed up and started answering this question.

:rimshot:
1981 Sea Hunter
96 Merc 50hp 4stroke
21 Merc 9.9 Kicker

Online AJFishin

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 09:11:25 AM »
2 things, there’s a empty terminal at the top right that only has 1 wire connected which looks like a black ground wire, maybe it was on that terminal? :shrug9:

The other thing, if I remember correctly from my recent rewire in my 17, I had a orange/green wire that I think went to the dome light or bow light. But again I also had a bunch of orange wires that went to a lot of nothing too. :doh:
1996 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV
1987 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90

My SC17 project videos:
www.youtube.com/socalseachaser

Online BayWolf

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 10:21:13 AM »
2 things, there’s a empty terminal at the top right that only has 1 wire connected which looks like a black ground wire, maybe it was on that terminal? :shrug9:

The other thing, if I remember correctly from my recent rewire in my 17, I had a orange/green wire that I think went to the dome light or bow light. But again I also had a bunch of orange wires that went to a lot of nothing too. :doh:

:bigshock: YIKES!!

First Sergeant

Offline Hunter

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2021, 04:44:57 PM »
This thread reminds of the old original Star Trek series.    The techs on the set would routinely place labels on pipes and conduits in the engineering section of the Enterprise stating......  G.N.D.N.       (Goes Nowhere Does Nothing)    :beerchug:

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Online martin3

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2021, 08:32:05 PM »

:bigshock: YIKES!!

I love Spaghetti........but damn. 

That has to be the winner for worst rats nest wiring!

MJM3

1990 SR Skip Top  "Gypsea Soul"
2013 Etec 115H.O.

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2021, 12:06:55 PM »
I guess a mystery wire is better than a mystery date!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Online agoodhi

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2021, 08:50:26 PM »
The Trident Scanner does work!!!  :party017:

Orange w/ green stripe = wiper motor (it slid off the terminal when I pulled out the switch panel)
Blue = cuddy light
Gray w/ red stripe = navigation light

The next mystery is where the 2nd set of bilge (AUTO) wires go???  It's hooked up to a switch but the wires run into a loom.  The Trident Scanner couldn't figure it out  :1zhelp:
'04 Sea Ranger 17 | '04 Yamaha F115 (SeaStar, Apollo SS 13-3/8x15 prop) | Pacific Trailer (Kodiak disc) | FishOn River/Sport Arch | Lenco 9x12 tabs

Online DeskJockey

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2021, 09:31:00 PM »
Both bilge wires, from the switch at the helm, should run along under the gunwale and drop down into the starboard sponson before making their way down into the bilge via the bilge hose access hole.  Well... mine did
1991 17' Sea Ranger

Online agoodhi

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2021, 10:27:23 PM »
Both bilge wires, from the switch at the helm, should run along under the gunwale and drop down into the starboard sponson before making their way down into the bilge via the bilge hose access hole.  Well... mine did
The difficult part is I don't have a 2nd bilge to follow, so I'm guessing the end is somewhere in the loom at the stern of boat :shrug9:

Online fishmeister

• Chinook
  • View Gallery
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2021, 10:38:30 PM »
Might try working it in reverse.  Start at the bilge pump and work backwards.  It might lead you to a crimped butt-splice in the loom.  Entirely possible that the factory wiring on the pump was not color-matched to the switch at the helm.

Just a thought....

If that doesn't pan out, go back to the flux capacitor in my prior post.
1981 Sea Hunter
96 Merc 50hp 4stroke
21 Merc 9.9 Kicker

Online DeskJockey

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2021, 11:12:31 PM »
The difficult part is I don't have a 2nd bilge to follow, so I'm guessing the end is somewhere in the loom at the stern of boat :shrug9:

You're talking the 2 wires from the bilge switch, the "auto" and "on" wires?  If you have an auto-off-on switch, there are 2 wires that run to a single bilge pump.  One goes to the float switch and the other directly to the pump.

I could be mis-understanding you though.
1991 17' Sea Ranger

Online AJFishin

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2021, 09:54:07 AM »
I second working in reverse to find out where that wire goes and in the meantime, check all the other wires and connections. Having a disconnected mystery wire would drive me nuts!
1996 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV
1987 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90

My SC17 project videos:
www.youtube.com/socalseachaser

Online agoodhi

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2021, 12:59:01 PM »

You're talking the 2 wires from the bilge switch, the "auto" and "on" wires?  If you have an auto-off-on switch, there are 2 wires that run to a single bilge pump.  One goes to the float switch and the other directly to the pump.

I could be mis-understanding you though.
I have my one and only bilge connected to switch panel labeled "MANUAL ON/OFF".  The other switch is labeled "AUTO ON/STANDBY".  The later is the one where there's wires connected that run into the loom.

The port wiper switch was similar in that it had wires connected to it, but no port wiper present.  However, the wires were routed behind the helm, rolled up and zip tied out of the way.  I removed that entire wire harness from the switch to clean things up.

Online fishmeister

• Chinook
  • View Gallery
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2021, 10:06:34 PM »
I've usually seen this setup as one 3-position switch (On-Off-Auto).  Not sure why you would have two separate switches.  My SH just has one switch at the helm for a Manual-on control.  My automatic is direct-wired to power.

Does your bilge pump have a built-in automatic sensor?  Or, do you have a separate float for automatic?  Or, some other configuration?  If you have a separate float switch for automatic, is there any chance that the second switch (automatic/standby) has something to do with that?

Another possibility is that you have another GNDN set of wires (argh).

One other thing that may help diagnose is to look at the switches.  Do they match?  Do either of them look different?  I'm wondering if these are both factory original, or if a PO did a little DIY wiring.  DIY wiring may not be a problem (see the threads with the outstanding wiring done by some of the members here).  But, then again, sometimes DIY wiring means "knew just enough to be dangerous"
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 10:12:58 PM by fishmeister »
1981 Sea Hunter
96 Merc 50hp 4stroke
21 Merc 9.9 Kicker

Online agoodhi

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2021, 10:31:13 PM »
Does your bilge pump have a built-in automatic sensor?  Or, do you have a separate float for automatic?
No. No.  Just your standard Rule 500.
Another possibility is that you have another GNDN set of wires (argh).
Yes  :shrug9:
One other thing that may help diagnose is to look at the switches.  Do they match?  Do either of them look different?  I'm wondering if these are both factory original, or if a PO did a little DIY wiring. 
They are factory.  I'll trace the bilge back to the loom when I eventually install a 2nd bilge.

Online fishmeister

• Chinook
  • View Gallery
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2021, 11:03:54 PM »
That second switch (Auto/Standby) looks like a 3-position switch.  I'm comparing it to the switch above it (Manual/Off).  The top switch is clearly in the "Off" position.  The second bilge switch appears to be in the center.  This would indicate a 3-position switch (typically used as On/Off/Auto)

This does appear to be factory work.  Wondering if there was an option for a second bilge pump that either did not come with the boat or was removed by PO.

I'm afraid that is the end of my guessing.  At this point, you just might be stuck opening up the loom and physically tracing these wires to their end (where ever that may be).

Maybe you'll get lucky and one of these other guys will see that last pic and be able to answer this for you.

1981 Sea Hunter
96 Merc 50hp 4stroke
21 Merc 9.9 Kicker

Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle