News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Replace Honda BF8D starter cables? (options other than OEM?)

Started by AlexB, November 23, 2021, 11:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexB

Well, now I know why the previous owner wrapped a section of the kicker motor's starter cables with electrical tape.... One of the wires has a clean slice all the way through the insulation! Yay!

I looked on the Honda page, and it appears that Honda wants me to buy a whole new starter cable assembly for $165 if I want to replace this damaged wire.

Before I shell out the $ for an OEM replacement, can anyone suggest a different route? I don't like the idea of slapping another layer of electrical tape on this and forgetting about it... I could cut out the damaged section and splice it back together? Or just replace the whole wire with a new generic marine battery cable of the appropriate size?

Thanks,

~Alex
Ramblin' Rose - 2018 SC19 w/ Honda BF150 and BF8

AlexB

I guess another option would be to hit the exposed wire with a little corrosion inhibitor of some kind, then slide a short piece of adhesive lined heat shrink tubing over it and call it good?

At least I can pull start the motor if all else fails...

christianbrat

if you can get heat shrink on it, i would heat shrink it and call it a day
1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster

DeskJockey

The outer jacket is visibly damaged, did it get into the conductor insulation at all?
1991 17' Sea Ranger

AlexB

The cut runs all the way to the copper, but it doesn't appear that any of the copper strands themselves are compromised.

I've got a piece of Ancor adhesive-lioned heat shrink that just barely slides onto the wires, so I'm thinking that's the route I'll take.

Would you recommend a little squirt of Corrosion X or something like that on the bare copper before I seal it all up? Maybe even a little liquid electrical tape to secure that flap of rubber in place before I heat shrink it?

Thanks, all!

DeskJockey

I think we all agree that replacing the cable is the best answer.  With that said, I'd clean up the bare copper as best I could and use only the adhesive heat shrink, be generous when you cut it to length.  Skip any additional chemicals imo.
1991 17' Sea Ranger

AlexB

Tj805

That liquid electrical tape works well for this .
Once that dries just heat shrink over it.
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

Pdxmgunner

Quote from: Tj805 on November 25, 2021, 09:54:38 PM
That liquid electrical tape works well for this .
Once that dries just heat shrink over it.

Agreed, slather the inside of that cut and out, heat shrink and call it good.

DevMah

Self fusing electrical tape by 3 M will work. You can go the other route if a few layers of adhesive shrink tube.
No lubricant or cleaner it won't allow the adhesive to set and seal.

https://www.3mcanada.ca/3M/en_CA/p/d/v000158499/
The fusing tape is not cheap a marine repair or industrial shop might be able spare some .

As long as the copper conductor is not damage and the rest of the cable insulation is in good condition you can buy sometime...

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold