Author Topic: New owner-What are these?  (Read 196 times)

New owner-What are these?
« on: November 28, 2021, 05:07:46 PM »
I'm the new owner of a 2006 Sea Legend. Can anyone tell me what these are?  One picture is of a small table with a pedestal post but no base and two cushioned seats or arm rests with no bases. The other is possibly some type of (temperature?) probe for the Lowrance chartplotter. I can't figure out where/how the table and seats would be used. The probe has a small metal tip but doesn't seem to supply any temperature information to the Lowrance. (On the other hand I haven't really figured out the chartplotter yet.) Any light you can shed on these would be appreciated.

Also, I thought that the transom on a 2006 Sea Legend did not have a wood core. Mine does, at least above the waterline where I drilled a couple holes to mount hardware. Can anyone tell me if the entire transom is wood core or just above the waterline? Thanks.

Online Pdxmgunner

• Fisherman
  • High Speed - Low Drag 1988 17SC Suzuki DF90
  • View Gallery
Re: New owner-What are these?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 05:24:01 PM »
Looks like a water pickup tube for a speedometer.

Cut the zip tie and observe the hose, it’s most likely hollow and runs directly to your motor if newer, if not then to a speedometer.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 05:29:04 PM by Pdxmgunner »

Online fishmeister

• Chinook
  • Member: (P)eople(E)ating(T)asty(A)nimals
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 05:49:02 PM »
The white probe looks to be for a separate speedometer.  The black item is the transducer for your Depth Sounder / Fish finder.

Second closer look shows that you may have a small "water wheel" looking item as part of (or next to) the transducer.  This would be a separate speedometer sender for displaying speed on the depth sounder / fish finder.  If this is accurate, you may just have a depth sounder / fish finder only (no chart plotter).  A chart plotter is going to have GPS and would calculate speed using that instead of a water wheel.

Of course, there is also the possibility that some of this is leftover gear from old equipment that is no longer needed.  You might have to do some wire tracing to find out for sure.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 06:04:49 PM by fishmeister »
1981 Sea Hunter
96 Merc 50hp 4stroke
21 Merc 9.9 Kicker

Offline La-Z-Buoy

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 06:05:53 PM »
On older boats especially the white device is the pickup for the speedometer on the dash. Newer motors have this function built in and they both function the same way. Water passing by pushes up into the tube/motor which pressurizes the air in the tube which is registered on the speedometer as MPH/Kph. Is not very functional at lower speeds. If your fish finder has a GPS function you will be able to register lower speeds better.

The black device is the transducer for the fish finder. It also is has a temperature sensor.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Offline DevMah

• Fisherman
  • Knowledge is the root of all good.
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 07:08:34 PM »
2015 21' Sea Ranger  (Tight lines)
2015 Yamaha F150
2012 Mercury 9.9 Bigfoot 4 blade