Author Topic: Customized BiteMeToo Kicker Bracket  (Read 179 times)

Offline DARice

Customized BiteMeToo Kicker Bracket
« on: November 28, 2021, 04:37:38 PM »
I purchased a BMT kicker bracket after breaking my original hydraulic bracket on a very 'sporty' ocean. BMT brackets come in two widths, and when I ordered they thought that the wide would be too wide for the sponson (now we know that is not the case), so I ordered the narrow version. However, the tilt mechanism of the T8/9.9 just barely fits inside of the bracket sides--mine rubbed ever so slightly--and required the kicker to be off center (offending my delicate symmetry sensibilities). FWIW, BMT plans to make a model of their bracket specifically for the Yamaha kickers starting early '22. Trevor at BMT was very helpful and confirmed that my 'customizing' the bracket like this would be fine, strength wise. I did hate cutting through the excellent powder coat. Someday I'll touch up the raw metal edge. Here's how it went.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 04:44:27 PM by DARice »
2005 Sea Chaser 17: '21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9
Lost Sailor

Offline headduck

Re: Customized BiteMeToo Kicker Bracket
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 04:56:19 PM »
Looks likes it was meant to be. Good job man.  :beerchug:
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Online Pdxmgunner

• Fisherman
  • High Speed - Low Drag 1988 17SC Suzuki DF90
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 05:25:50 PM »
I really like that bracket. Nice work.

Offline agoodhi

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 10:26:22 PM »
Nice work!!!  What did you use to cut it?

I'm glad Trevor will be offering a modified version of the narrow next year.  Looking forward to it.

Ryan
'04 Sea Ranger 17 | '04 Yamaha F115 (SeaStar, Apollo SS 13-3/8x15 prop) | Pacific Trailer (Kodiak disc) | FishOn River/Sport Arch | Lenco 9x12 tabs

Offline DARice

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 06:27:53 AM »
Nice work!!!  What did you use to cut it?

I'm glad Trevor will be offering a modified version of the narrow next year.  Looking forward to it.

Ryan

I experimented with some different tools on the area I was removing before I got serious. The aluminum is 6mm or 6.5mm (1/4"), so thick stuff. I drilled two holes in the inside corner, then used a battery powered jigsaw set to very slow speed for most of the cuts--took a long time. Removed material with a dremel and a tungsten carbide bit to get close to the lines; that tool was pretty aggressive and removed material quickly--difficult to control for accuracy, but did the job fast. Files to remove some gouges/divots and putting a slight radius on edges. Finished with a small dremel sanding wheel to polish off the file marks.

As with most boat projects, over thought it a lot, then it went pretty quickly as soon as I committed to cutting.

Dave
Lost Sailor

Offline AP

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 12:03:43 PM »
Nice fix.  I originally ordered the wide bracket because the narrow ones were out of stock and we figured either would work.  Based on the existing, factory holes though, the wide one wouldn’t work because it butted up directly on my stern eye.  If I pushed it more to the starboard side, I couldn’t use any existing holes and it would also be overhanging the sponson on the motor side.  It looks like your holes were lower though so no conflict with the wider bracket and stern eye.  Working with Trevor was great and I was able to swap the wide one for a narrow one.  Also, Trevor suggested using “trim clad” white for touch up.  I think that is a Canadian product but I used Rustoleum white for touching up the hole I widened and it looks good.  It is a cheap and easy fix for the raw metal if you’re interested. 

« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 12:12:32 PM by AP »

Offline DARice

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 12:39:46 PM »
Nice fix....Also, Trevor suggested using “trim clad” white for touch up.  I think that is a Canadian product but I used Rustoleum white for touching up the hole I widened and it looks good.  It is a cheap and easy fix for the raw metal if you’re interested.

Yep, Trevor is great. He also recommended Tremclad white for touch up to me. Given that I store the boat outside, it may be June before I get to it...if ever!
Lost Sailor

Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle