News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Project Update with photos

Started by Pdxmgunner, November 27, 2021, 04:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pdxmgunner

Here is a review of the restoration & improvements I have done.  I started the project thinking that I would replace the steering, steering wheel and all the electrical.  I got into the project and met multiple glaring deficiencies that I couldn't ignore. 

So far I have:

-Replaced the aft 3 removable panels with Starboard, TAP plastics did the cutting
-Restored the dash board, gauges and added all new switches
-Replaced the cable steering with Seastar Hydraulic ram, helm pump and hoses
-New wiring, battery cables, primary and running (14ga)
-Replaced the cable boot and fitted a custom housing (ABS) to cover the figure 8 size hole (SS Screws for future needs)
-Replaced the Stern light/housing and the deck light
-Replaced the bilge pump and added a float switch to the system, both devices run to an independent bilge switch with a breaker (also fused at DC panel), with LED indication of AUTO/OFF/Manual (Manual is momentary on, stops when not depressed)
-Installed a DC fuse panel
-Installed 4 way battery switch (the old existing one was bypassed and not functional) with an inline 50 AMP breaker in-between switch & panel
-Installed two 175AMP MRBF fuses on either positive battery terminal (Thanks for the tip AJ & Dev)
-2020* I replaced the old 115 mercury with a DF90 2020 - Miss the two smoke

I have a few more tasks:

-Terminate the panel and make pretty (at least 3 hours)
-Bolt on the new bow light & wire it
-Determine VHF needs - I removed the old one, haven't decided what size antenna to reinstall
-Decide what to do with the horn, rewire it to the push button or delete?
-Mount FF/Plotter maybe buy a new unit if there are any deals?

I will post more in detail about the fun parts of the job when I have the opportunity.

:beerchug:

mikehatz

1990 Sea Chaser 17 Yamaha 90

Pdxmgunner

Pdxmgunner

Out of room adding photos

Fisherdv

Very clean work. Looks great! I like the new profile photo too.  :beerchug:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

headduck

Nice summary. Well done on the work. Folks will be getting ideas...  :beerchug:
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

AJFishin

Nice work! Projects always seem to grown when think you're just going to do a few things, then next minute you've gone through the whole boat, but it's all worth it.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Pdxmgunner

Pdxmgunner

headduck

2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Pdxmgunner

I decided to make service in the future very, very easy.. My hat is off to the guys Who can make a panel look like a piece of art.

And check out this backlit, for position switch. I love it and would highly recommend. It is waterproof.

DeskJockey

It's amazing how much more room you have for helm wiring than I have in my Sea Ranger.

Your whole project is coming along and looks great!
1991 17' Sea Ranger

Pdxmgunner

Quote from: DeskJockey on December 02, 2021, 06:51:44 PM
It's amazing how much more room you have for helm wiring than I have in my Sea Ranger.

Your whole project is coming along and looks great!

That is interesting, I am curious to see the difference. I really appreciate the feedback, this is definitely the rewarding part, seeing everything come together. 

DARice

Fantastic transformation, Marshall! That's an impressively long list of projects, particularly given the scale of many of them!

Dave
2005 Sea Chaser 17 Pilot House, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9

Crackerbox

Awesome!  I like the boot replacement, is that custom?

Joe

beancounter

All worthwhile things to make your boat more trouble free when you want to be out enjoying it. Why don't you come to Va and work on my latest project ?
You are doing a good job. Get it done and back on the water.

Pdxmgunner

Quote from: DARice on December 03, 2021, 09:47:54 AM
Fantastic transformation, Marshall! That's an impressively long list of projects, particularly given the scale of many of them!

Dave

Thanks Dave, look forward to show you in person. 

Pdxmgunner

Quote from: beancounter on December 03, 2021, 01:22:26 PM
All worthwhile things to make your boat more trouble free when you want to be out enjoying it. Why don't you come to Va and work on my latest project ?
You are doing a good job. Get it done and back on the water.

Hey, thanks Bean!  Well, I haven't seen the Blue Ridge Mountains.. What are you working on?

Pdxmgunner

Quote from: Crackerbox on December 03, 2021, 11:58:40 AM
Awesome!  I like the boot replacement, is that custom?

Joe

Hey thanks! Yes it is custom, I used 1/8" ABS to make a base plate for the cable boot. Life seal and some stainless steel screws.

agoodhi

Quote from: DeskJockey on December 02, 2021, 06:51:44 PM
My thoughts too!  I'm currently trying to clean mine up.
'04 SR 17 | '04 Yami F115 (Apollo XHS SS 13-3/8x15) | SeaStar HC5345 | '22 Suzuki DF9.9 | OTH Pilothouse | FishOn River/Sport Arch | Lenco 9x12 tabs | Garmin Stuff | Pacific Trailer

Omega3

The only difference I see behind the helm is the absence of the little starboard box used to house the steering rack and electronics.This project is using the entire panel.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Pdxmgunner

All my drafts before I got everything the way I wanted..

Also, the As Built, which I would like to do on the computer some how, eventually. I ran out of room for the cuddy light, but it's pretty easy to see and runs straight to the panel in wire loom.

Pdxmgunner

New VHF Mount and antenna. New plate's holes didn't match to I made another custom backplate.

Pdxmgunner

Delete

kriznol

What are you using for your dash material, how are you cutting it, and what are you using to secure it?