News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Universal connector for Downrigger/Pot Puller?

Started by DeskJockey, November 21, 2021, 06:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeskJockey

I am currently rebuilding a pair of Penn 835's, but there is no connector on the end of the cable.  I can live without the remote switches, so a 2-pin Male/Female set will do.  I'll splice the same type of connector on the pot puller, so I won't need 2 electrical runs up the starboard side.

Are the Anderson connectors the best way forward?  I was looking at the Scotty bits, but they sure are proud of them.
1991 17' Sea Ranger

DevMah

2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

DeskJockey

Hmmm, these seem to be much more reasonably priced, I must have been searching the wrong term.

Assuming you are familiar with these, are they pigtails or can I terminate wire directly to them, and any special tools required?  I see specs on voltages and wire gauges, but nothing on max amps?  My pot puller manual recommends 8 awg and a 40 amp fuse, guessing these would work fine.

More a question about your experience...
What I don't like about this style, it would seem that the plug sticks pretty far out of the gunwale, about hip high...  Are they easily damaged or do you undermount these?
1991 17' Sea Ranger

DevMah

Quote from: DeskJockey on November 21, 2021, 10:22:16 PM
Hmmm, these seem to be much more reasonably priced, I must have been searching the wrong term.

Assuming you are familiar with these, are they pigtails or can I terminate wire directly to them, and any special tools required?  I see specs on voltages and wire gauges, but nothing on max amps?  My pot puller manual recommends 8 awg and a 40 amp fuse, guessing these would work fine.

More a question about your experience...
What I don't like about this style, it would seem that the plug sticks pretty far out of the gunwale, about hip high...  Are they easily damaged or do you undermount these?

You terminate directly to them ...

Terminals
Brass, clamp style. Accommodates 16 to 8 AWG wire max rating of 40A . ( the specs are on the overview tab on the first link)

https://www.marinco.com/-/media/inriver/12VBPS2_SPEC.pdf?modified=20200227133558

The scotty ones are just rebranded Marinco .
IMO
I have mine on side of the gunwale yes they do stick out but I  never had a issue...

You can under mount them also.

Dev

2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

agoodhi

Those clamps in the Marinco don't seem to hold well for me.  The first one I installed seems ok, but the 2nd one seems like it's not clamping down as strong as I'd like it to. I know exactly where to check when it stops working for me, lol.  I'm using 10g wire too.
'04 SR 17 | '04 Yami F115 (Apollo XHS SS 13-3/8x15) | SeaStar HC5345 | '22 Suzuki DF9.9 | OTH Pilothouse | FishOn River/Sport Arch | Lenco 9x12 tabs | Garmin Stuff | Pacific Trailer

DeskJockey

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciated.

I've got some coming from Amazon so I'll have a closer look when they show up.

:beerchug:
1991 17' Sea Ranger

Markshoreline

Mine are mounded facing down, under the gunnels.  Hard to find, but stay dry and out of the spray.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

DeskJockey

How did you mount them Mark?  Photos would be appreciated if you have them handy.

I've got a few ideas brewing, will have to stare at it some more this weekend.

1991 17' Sea Ranger

Mooch

Don't know if it's Mark way or the best way, but my Marincos are mounted under the gunwales and below my DR mount using Scotty Right Angle Mounts:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004O0FQME/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_glt_fabc_DE2HFQ5Y793QMWTPR7A1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Here's some pics:

Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

christianbrat

Quote from: Mooch on November 24, 2021, 04:32:01 PM
Don't know if it's Mark way or the best way, but my Marincos are mounted under the gunwales and below my DR mount using Scotty Right Angle Mounts:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004O0FQME/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_glt_fabc_DE2HFQ5Y793QMWTPR7A1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Here's some pics:

I have mine in the exact same spot, but mounted into the side of the gunnel like a traditional wall outlet
1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster

Markshoreline

Sorry I'm 1500 miles from my boat but at least it's sunny and warm here!
The plugs are mound up against the inside of the gunwhales.  The heads of the mounting bolts are facing the cockpit and the nuts are inside the gunwhales.  The plugs are high enough to preclude any salt water intrusion- a pita to insert or remove but I only have to lay on my back twice a year to install and remove them.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

DARice

2005 Sea Chaser 17 Pilot House, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9

christianbrat

1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster

headduck

Mine are like Mooch's but recessed a little deeper, which hides the plug but makes it a little more of a hassle to insert.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Mooch

Quote from: headduck on December 07, 2021, 05:38:28 AM
Mine are like Mooch's but recessed a little deeper, which hides the plug but makes it a little more of a hassle to insert.

True dat, but moving them to gunnel sides is not an option for me.  I'm constantly leaning or brushing against my rub rail, especially near my DR, to have protruding connectors.  I finally used a white mark on inboard side of each plug to eliminate hassle of connecting from below.  Problem solved.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

headduck

I'd break em for sure if they were on the gunnel...  I lean there as well and the pitch and roll would end 'em quick.

Good idea on the mark... think I need a new white paint pen.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

ATGEP

Anderson the way for me. Crimped connections so nothing to vibrate loose and easy to plug in without looking at them.  SB-50 size covers 12ga to 6 ga and is perfect for our deck applications. You only need the crimper (cheap on amazon) and the correct wire ga pins. Powerwerx.com has a pretty good breakdown and a good selection of pins. The also have the water resistant boot pictured below.  I have been using them for a few years with zero issues. To mount them under the gunnel, i bent flat aluminum bar at 45Deg and the cord stays out of the way.

DeskJockey

That looks pretty nice, I hadn't seen the rubberized covers like that before.

I ended up with marinco plugs and receptacles.  Haven't used them on the water yet, but they are now installed in the boat and on devices.  I'm not in love with them, but we'll see how they hold up.
1991 17' Sea Ranger

Tunacious

I have been through this and I really feel like I finally got it figured out.

I mounted my plugs under the gunnel like others have done.

While they can be a bit hard to find the holes they stay much dryer.

The plugs I bought are a bit more money but less expensive in the long run.

I use my universal plugs for several different applications for commercial fishing gear.

I had trouble in the past with the smaller plugs corroding and needing to be replaced.

I was having to replace the female end of the plug once a year.

All of the gear I used recommended the plug be connected straight to the battery.

Because the plug always had power to it, even when moored with the battery switch in the off position, the corrosion occurred.

I switched to this 70 amp plug and have not experienced any problems at all.

The plug is a three prong plug but I only use two of them.

Even more important I placed a Blue Sea 60 amp cut off switch between the battery and the plug.

When I'm not using the power from the plug the cut off switch turned the power off to the plug thus no corrosion.

https://www.amazon.com/Marinco-12VBPS3-Trolling-Motor-Plug/dp/B06XGB3QNF/ref=asc_df_B06XGB3QNF/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312128389336&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16015240796739346696&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032982&hvtargid=pla-559331192593&psc=1

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjh24ms7d70AhVUH60GHdZfCP4YABAeGgJwdg&ae=2&sig=AOD64_3HLOYCAlugCfh3bT6vzxnnvIZtrQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwj0lP-r7d70AhUjCjQIHcY6A9EQwg96BAgBEGA&adurl=