News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

WM Black Friday deals

Started by Fisherdv, November 19, 2021, 10:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

West Marine Black Friday deals start today. Life jackets 40% off.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

DeskJockey

Heh, I was kind of bummed I never saw the 25% off coupon mentioned in another thread...

This REALLY isn't helping me stop hemorrhaging cash.  Turns out, a new boat owner needs everything  :facepalm:

Guess I'll compare the differences between the inshore vs offshore life jackets and make a selection.
1991 17' Sea Ranger

Fisherdv

Quote from: DeskJockey on November 19, 2021, 02:48:41 PM
Heh, I was kind of bummed I never saw the 25% off coupon mentioned in another thread...

This REALLY isn't helping me stop hemorrhaging cash.  Turns out, a new boat owner needs everything  :facepalm:

Guess I'll compare the differences between the inshore vs offshore life jackets and make a selection.
I think the inshore has 22.5lbs. of bouyancy vs. 35lbs for the offshore.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

ohmytodd

Offshore also has the stainless rings in front for (more) ease of rescue, inshore has nothing substantial to tie off to. You can also use them to tie off onboard in rough seas. Highly recommended if you're boating on the ocean.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

Hunter

Quote from: ohmytodd on November 19, 2021, 03:00:45 PM
Offshore also has the stainless rings in front for (more) ease of rescue, inshore has nothing substantial to tie off to. You can also use them to tie off onboard in rough seas. Highly recommended if you're boating on the ocean.

I totally agree with Todd...  It's worth the extra few bucks......IMHO.....for the offshore models with incorporated lifting harness and D rings.   I actually have a special 50ft of 1/2 inch line with a REAL carabiner  on one end that I can use along with my DB pot puller to assist pulling a MOB into the boat if needed.   
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

ak-angler

Quote from: Hunter on November 19, 2021, 04:24:20 PM
... the offshore models with incorporated lifting harness and D rings. 

Just to clarify... West Marine refers to it as a "sailing harness" intended to clip a safety tether to. It's not advertised as a lifting harness, and it certainly would be if it was designed as such.

Use whatever means is necessary to get a person back in the boat, of course. Just realize that the D-rings on those offshore life jackets likely aren't designed for lifting a person out of the water.
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

Hunter

Quote from: ak-angler on November 20, 2021, 09:19:14 AM
Quote from: Hunter on November 19, 2021, 04:24:20 PM
... the offshore models with incorporated lifting harness and D rings. 

Just to clarify... West Marine refers to it as a "sailing harness" intended to clip a safety tether to. It's not advertised as a lifting harness, and it certainly would be if it was designed as such.

Use whatever means is necessary to get a person back in the boat, of course. Just realize that the D-rings on those offshore life jackets likely aren't designed for lifting a person out of the water.

Great point AK......  My mistake for calling this a lifting harness.    But I will say that to me it appears that both the D-Rings and the 2 in harness webbing looks robust enough to lift a few hundred lbs of needed...  The good part is that there is a D-Ring on either side of the harness buckle so once a REAL carabiner is attached to both rings it basically takes the harness "clip" out of the equation...
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

ak-angler

Yeah, I've owned a couple of these offshore life jackets for a few years. I really like them. And if I needed to use the D-rings as an aid to lifting, I would. I just thought it may be important to point out that they probably aren't designed for that use.

It's sort of like thinking you're prepared for your long trip through the desert because you have a spare tire, only to find out at the most inopportune time that it's only rated to be driven on for short distances at low speeds. Could turn out ok... may not.  :beerchug:
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's