News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Installing New Batteries

Started by Hunter, October 18, 2021, 08:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter

So My batteries are now 5 years old and I want to replace them...  They still test OK but I just want to replace with new so any advice to test them and just keep them is useless to me.

My question is all about procedure.   My current plan is to replace each batt one at a time.   First remove all of the positive connections, zip them together and then remove all of the negative connections and zip them together.   Then swap the batts with new and reverse the re-connection process.     Is that right?     
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Fisherdv

Actually, I think it's the opposite. Disconnect the negative first, then the positive. Reverse for installing the new batteries.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

agoodhi

I always remove negative followed by positive, then install positive followed by negative.
'04 SR 17 | '04 Yami F115 (Apollo XHS SS 13-3/8x15) | SeaStar HC5345 | '22 Suzuki DF9.9 | OTH Pilothouse | FishOn River/Sport Arch | Lenco 9x12 tabs | Garmin Stuff | Pacific Trailer

DevMah

Quote from: agoodhi on October 18, 2021, 08:35:50 PM
I always remove negative followed by positive, then install positive followed by negative.

It is should always be done the this way.... Not so important in a Fiberglass boat with a battery switch but on a tin can boat with no switch removing the negative first on all batteries is better...

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Mooch

Good practice to cover battery terminals, especially when removing or installing.  The plastic screw terminal covers can be found at any hardware store.

Because the aft battery area is extremely tight on Arima's with two batteries, I also tape my battery wrench.  Might be overkill, but I've experienced a shorted boat battery before and never want to again.   :bigshock:

Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Hunter

OK.... so my plan was perfect all except for the fact that it was 100% wrong...    NEG first, then Pos then reverse...  Thanks
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

christianbrat

Hunter, i have been doing it bass ackwards just the same if it makes you feel any better :P
1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster

davidsea

The (-) first was a tradition in vehicles, where most all metal parts were a possible ground until the (-) cable was removed from the battery.    With a tinnie, most everything that isn't plastic, painted or upholstered is a ground, so breaking the ground at the battery first prevents sparks.
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

disposable

I've also been on the wrong team (but learning)
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

La-Z-Buoy

Looking at that taped up wrench made me remember one of the first rules I learned back in Basic Electronics class in the Air Force in 1971 - NEVER EVER trust an insulated tool to be insulated...... Just sayin.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

DevMah

Quote from: Mooch on October 19, 2021, 08:04:51 AM
Good practice to cover battery terminals, especially when removing or installing.  The plastic screw terminal covers can be found at any hardware store.

Because the aft battery area is extremely tight on Arima's with two batteries, I also tape my battery wrench.  Might be overkill, but I've experienced a shorted boat battery before and never want to again.   :bigshock:

Yes you can buy complete pole covers and they are cheap.

http://www.vte-europe.com/content/termins/battterm/html/463Series/463Series.php

https://www.vtewarehouse.com/content/termins/battterm/html/458Series/458Series.php

And Wrygys slide out tray design works awesome. ( I copied his but used 4 slides vs 2)

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold