News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Fall/Winter Kokanee in WA Question

Started by BayWolf, October 18, 2021, 03:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BayWolf

I'm looking at my boat and am wanting to get out fishing.  Can anyone provide some guidance and information on the possibility of fall/winter Kokanee fishing in western wa?  Or even some other good lake fishing opportunities?  I know most trout stocking is done, and most lakes are fished out, so I'd like to try something different. 

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

Omega3

05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

BayWolf

Quote from: Omega3 on October 18, 2021, 04:47:14 PM
Kokanee junkies on Facebook

I don't have Facebook.  Did a search and didn't see "Kokanee Junkies".  Is it called something else?

First Sergeant

polarbill1999

I bet it is a Facebook group.  Lake Washington and lake Sammamish could be fun options.  Perch and cutties. 

Angler west with salt patrol fishing south lake Washington for cutties.  https://youtu.be/GxqBia9sObo

NW fishing reports Sammamish cutties.  https://youtu.be/C0oqnECKp5s
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

BayWolf

Quote from: polarbill1999 on October 18, 2021, 05:38:11 PM
I bet it is a Facebook group.  Lake Washington and lake Sammamish could be fun options.  Perch and cutties. 

Angler west with salt patrol fishing south lake Washington for cutties.  https://youtu.be/GxqBia9sObo

NW fishing reports Sammamish cutties.  https://youtu.be/C0oqnECKp5s

Cool!! Looks like fun. And both close enough for a day trip. 
Thanks. 

I've fished LW for sockeye back in 08.  Never fished cutts or Lake Sammamish.

First Sergeant

DARice

Kokanee are easy and fun, at least for those who don't stress at not filling the 10 fish daily limit. iFish community has up to date info, and fishing reports often include the depths people are finding fish. I'm in SW WA, and typically fish Yale and Merwin while I dream of calm ocean conditions. Happy to provide more info. It's getting close to spawning time, but the latest reports are that fish are still bright; as they take on color, they aren't very good eating. Here's a map to popular trolling locations on Merwin:  https://deadly-venom-tackle.myshopify.com/products/lake-merwin-kokanee-fishing-map

Dave
2005 Sea Chaser 17 Pilot House, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9

BayWolf

Quote from: DARice on October 23, 2021, 01:25:27 PM
Kokanee are easy and fun, at least for those who don't stress at not filling the 10 fish daily limit. iFish community has up to date info, and fishing reports often include the depths people are finding fish. I'm in SW WA, and typically fish Yale and Merwin while I dream of calm ocean conditions. Happy to provide more info. It's getting close to spawning time, but the latest reports are that fish are still bright; as they take on color, they aren't very good eating. Here's a map to popular trolling locations on Merwin:  https://deadly-venom-tackle.myshopify.com/products/lake-merwin-kokanee-fishing-map

Dave

Thanks Dave,
I was looking for a window to fish Merwin, but the weather and winds don't want to cooperate.  When is the latest it worthwhile fishing for them.  I heard there is some controversy about fishing in late winter because of the fish being small and people want to give them a chance to bulk up a bit. 

First Sergeant

XO

Might want to try Lake Stevens.  Haven't been there in years, but at one point there was some good kokanee fishing.  Troll by the aeration pump out in the middle.
1993 Chaser 19 "Dandy"; 2021 140 Hp Suzuki; 8Hp Yamaha

2002 Hunter; 2002 Suzuki DF50; 2004 Suzuki DF6---SOLD

"Knowledge is good."  Emil Faber

polarbill1999

Quote from: XO on October 25, 2021, 01:25:58 PM
Might want to try Lake Stevens.  Haven't been there in years, but at one point there was some good kokanee fishing.  Troll by the aeration pump out in the middle.

I started fishing for kokanee in Stevens the last couple of years.  Only gone out a few times. I think the hot time is mayish.  That said we caught a few in early April.  I haven't seen much as far as fishing in the winter but I guess there is only one way to find out:)
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

FishBio

Quote from: polarbill1999 on October 25, 2021, 01:39:42 PM
Quote from: XO on October 25, 2021, 01:25:58 PM

I started fishing for kokanee in Stevens the last couple of years.  Only gone out a few times. I think the hot time is mayish.  That said we caught a few in early April.  I haven't seen much as far as fishing in the winter but I guess there is only one way to find out:)

Picked up a few Kokanee last winter in Lake Sammamish. The real fun was trolling up 15-20" cutthroat after catching a bucket of perch. Trolling while filleting perch makes the fish cleaning chore go quick.
1987 17' Sea Ranger,
2020 90hp Suzuki,
2019 Yamaha T9.9 on Defiance fixed bracket.

DARice

Quote from: BayWolf on October 23, 2021, 02:46:13 PM
Quote from: DARice on October 23, 2021, 01:25:27 PM

Dave
Sorry for the delay... this is a hatchery fishery, Pacific Corps' quid pro quo for putting dams on one of the best steelhead streams in the region back in the day. Yes, the fish will get bigger, but I don't have any reluctance to take them now. What they call 'next year's fish' won't be in spawning phase so will be great eating.

Thanks Dave,
I was looking for a window to fish Merwin, but the weather and winds don't want to cooperate.  When is the latest it worthwhile fishing for them.  I heard there is some controversy about fishing in late winter because of the fish being small and people want to give them a chance to bulk up a bit.
2005 Sea Chaser 17 Pilot House, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9

BayWolf

Thanks guys for all the great information..
Going to get out there and give it a go.

First Sergeant

StreamFixer

Google  "kokanee fishing washington'  LOTS of information there.  I suspect there is a group Kokanee Power of Washington or some such.  The KP group in Oregon is very helpful to members and others.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Redhawk

Very late to the party but Riffe Lake is a good kokanee spot. Troll 50-70 feet down (depending on water depth, it can get low) by the dam and you are bound to hook something up. I was up some years back with a buddy and we caught 15 or so in 3 hours and kept the 10 nicest ones. Cannot for the life of me remember what exactly we caught them on, but I am thinking it was either small squid skirts with flashers or #2 spinners.
Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke

Salty Dangler

There are no Kokanee in Riffe, but they do have a pretty good coho fishery. Tacoma Power puts a bunch of coho adults up above Cowlitz Falls every year to spawn naturally and the resulting juveniles often end up in Riffe. There isn't any real passage for them through Mossyrock dam, so they stack up in Riffe.

Redhawk

Quote from: Salty Dangler on November 25, 2021, 10:08:48 AM
There are no Kokanee in Riffe, but they do have a pretty good coho fishery. Tacoma Power puts a bunch of coho adults up above Cowlitz Falls every year to spawn naturally and the resulting juveniles often end up in Riffe. There isn't any real passage for them through Mossyrock dam, so they stack up in Riffe.
I probably ID'd them wrong then. This was 3 years back so I was still a trout guy and the guy I was with handled everything but the catching...

Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke