News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Factory-installed Insta-Trim tabs?

Started by AlexB, October 26, 2021, 08:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexB

My boat doesn't have trim tabs (yet).

Can someone show me a pic of factory-installed Insta-Trim tabs?

What's the best way to route the hydraulic hoses?

Typical dash location for the switch? (And what about rocker switch versus the waterproof switch "upgrade"?)

I'm thinking I'll go with the Insta-Trim 12x8 for my SC19. Planning to save a few bucks in the short term by skipping the tab locator LED. Either I'll learn to operate them "be feel" or I'll add the location indicator later on down the road if not having it proves frustrating.

Thanks!

~Alex
Ramblin' Rose - 2018 SC19 w/ Honda BF150 and BF8

ohmytodd

Lenco 12x9's tend to be the standard around here. That LED switch, while pricey, also has the auto-retract feature, which is really, really convenient and nice to have. There are only electrical wires to deal with on the Lenco's, not hydraulic lines.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

christianbrat

Quote from: ohmytodd on October 26, 2021, 08:49:25 AM
Lenco 12x9's tend to be the standard around here. That LED switch, while pricey, also has the auto-retract feature, which is really, really convenient and nice to have. There are only electrical wires to deal with on the Lenco's, not hydraulic lines.

Both Bennet and Lenco make electric and hydraulic. I personally have bennet hydros and love em
1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster

AlexB

I stumbled on the post where Don (or someoen else from Arima) explained why Arima settled on Insta-Trim tabs, and it resonated with me. Apparently they've had fewer boats coming back to the dealer for Insta-Trim fixes than Lenco or Bennet.

That auto-retract feature does sound nice, though....
Ramblin' Rose - 2018 SC19 w/ Honda BF150 and BF8

McVickSR19ST

Quote from: ohmytodd on October 26, 2021, 08:49:25 AM

I agree with Todd, that illuminated switch is awesome! It is nice to know what position they are in and the auto retract is very helpful.  Honestly I would wait 1/2 season or full season to get the trim tabs and see how your boat handles in your local waters. I jumped the gun and installed them right after I did my repower. I find that I don't use them as much and get on plane easily with just adjusting the tilt. If I did it again I would probably get the 9x9's to allow for more room for the  big A$$ Garmin transducer (GT-41). They are a large investment at $700+ so make sure you need them. Just m2c
1990 Sea Ranger Skip Top
2021 Suzuki DF140BG

Fisherdv

I agree to use and get to know the boat without trim tabs for a good few trips in different conditions.

That said, with the weight of that 150 on the back, trim tabs could really help to keep the bow planted in chop and greatly reduce porpoising. They are also great for adjusting side to side lean.

Go with the LED switch now. Great to see where the tabs are.

You don't need trim tabs, but they are one of the best additions to an Arima. IMO.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Tailout

I've read lots of post on this site about using trim tabs to plane faster. I have 12x9 lenco's on my 19' Sea Ranger. I never use the tabs to get on step. Slowly throttle up on step, trim with motor, then apply tabs port, and starboard to adjust ride depending on gear and passengers. Sometimes in big seas I leave the motor against the transom and only trim the bow down with the tabs, slower but lots more comfortable. Myself and others here have said" Arima's should come with trim tabs from the factory"! And the LED's are the way to go. Don't pinch dollars on the needed stuff.
2022 Arima 19' Sea Chaser Yellowtail  115 hp Yamaha, Yamaha 9.9 kicker
Fish Rite 17x54 drift boat 6hp Yamaha
2007  Sea Ranger 19',  90 hp Honda 8hp Honda Kicker (Sold)

ohmytodd

I resisted for a couple of seasons with a Honda 150 on my 19. I never had a problem getting on step, but once I added the tabs the boat was so much better on open water. I use them all the time now to accommodate for a heavy kicker and even heavier fishing buddy.

Whichever way you go, mount them as far out as you can without them touching the sponson. I followed the written directions and put the outside edge even with where the chine flattens out but in hindsight I could have gone out another inch or so. It's not a job you want to redo.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

Tailout

2022 Arima 19' Sea Chaser Yellowtail  115 hp Yamaha, Yamaha 9.9 kicker
Fish Rite 17x54 drift boat 6hp Yamaha
2007  Sea Ranger 19',  90 hp Honda 8hp Honda Kicker (Sold)

Mooch

Here's pics of a factory installed Instatrim package (2009).

Hydraulic pump:

Tabs:

Splashwell ports for hydraulics:

Helm controls:

Electrics are probably easier to install, but I've found these hydraulics to be robust and dependable, even after time submerged in mud of a silted marina.  Indicators are a nice feature, but they're not essential once you get to know your system.  While trim tabs certainly have great benefits, the less you have to use them the better off you are from an efficiency perspective.   Definitely not a panacea, as many would have you think.

Good luck with your addition.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

calcoast

My factory installed instatrim set up looks just like the pics mooch posted except the pump is in a different spot in the aft port storage area. I so wish I had auto retract and indicator light. I looked at adding it but I am a bit burned out on improvements at this time. Maybe later.

Trim tabs are a must on this boat out of bodega. I cannot imagine running without them. It would not be fun.
2017 19 Sea Chaser Skip Top
2017 Honda BF 135
2019 Yamaha 9.9

calcoast

Another thing. Those hydraulic line clamshells leak like crazy on my boat. I had to fill them with sealant.
2017 19 Sea Chaser Skip Top
2017 Honda BF 135
2019 Yamaha 9.9

Tj805

I'd run the boat a bit first before buying them .
I have a 19 sc and don't have tabs and I never really have any issues.
I thought about getting them but I'd rather have radar.
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8