News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Temporary live bait tank?

Started by DARice, July 22, 2021, 04:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DARice

One of these days (years) I'll pull my SC17 down to San Diego to fish with my brother for several days. Any thoughts on solutions for a temporary live bait tank? To me that means no new holes in the boat (OK, I can live with some screw holes to mount plumbing and keep the tank from sliding around).

Dave
2005 Sea Chaser 17 Pilot House, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9

Danno

Well, you could just invite me along.   :fishing:
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

DARice

Quote from: Danno on July 22, 2021, 04:17:15 PM
Well, you could just invite me along.   :fishing:

That's the best solution of all!
2005 Sea Chaser 17 Pilot House, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9

christianbrat

I use a 20 gallon Rubbermaid trashcan and this $45 pump kit. I put a scotty plug on it and just use my downrigger outlet.  It's a recirculating setup but it keeps a scoop of anchovies alive all day so its good enough for me!
https://www.iboats.com/shop/attwood-t-500-recirculating-aerator-kit.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwruSHBhAtEiwA_qCpppyzTJg4hAEtR_wA6n-RY_3MbxBxUH_EP7F7D-5-907wQSDVXWptkBoCGFsQAvD_BwE
1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster

BayWolf

This would be great for keeping crab and shrimp alive. Also, for keeping sand dabs going for ling bait!
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

Fisherdv

Quote from: christianbrat on July 22, 2021, 07:16:18 PM
I use a 20 gallon Rubbermaid trashcan and this $45 pump kit. I put a scotty plug on it and just use my downrigger outlet.  It's a recirculating setup but it keeps a scoop of anchovies alive all day so its good enough for me!
https://www.iboats.com/shop/attwood-t-500-recirculating-aerator-kit.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwruSHBhAtEiwA_qCpppyzTJg4hAEtR_wA6n-RY_3MbxBxUH_EP7F7D-5-907wQSDVXWptkBoCGFsQAvD_BwE
That looks interesting. If you don't mind, how do you plumb it, and how exactly does it work?

Man, that is a well rigged little SE. :clap:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

AJFishin

If you don't have a tank, the 20 gallon BRUTE trash cans work well, like Christinabrat has. I used one for awhile a few years ago, worked well.
If you're only going to use anchovies, a recirculating tank should keep them alive. But imo, if you're going to be holding mackerels or sardines, you're going to need a constant flow of fresh water.

Here's a picture of when I first made mine a recirculating tank. The clear hose was not connected from the pump to the nozzle in this picture.

Then I converted it to a fresh water intake. Holding sardines...

This is just off of the top of my head if you don't use a recirculating tank, it won't look pretty and it's down a dirty.
If you have a tank and it's tall enough, you could toss the outflow hose over and in the splashwell or hang it over the transom.
Otherwise you're going to need to set it on something so it can be high enough to set a proper water level in the tank.
You can secure the tank to a piece of plywood, then screw that into some cut to size 4x4's. You're also going to need to strap the tank down so it doesn't slide. I use a set of cargo D-rings secured into my panels, the side boards that cover the fuel tank, then I use a ratchet strap to secure my tank.

Get a transom mount pump, I currently use a 800 gph Rule pump with a transom bracket for my 25 gallon tank. I also have a Johnson Proline Bilge Pump 750 GPH 3A which has a built in transom bracket, something I'm thinking of trying out on my 17.
Then run your intake hose from your pump over the transom and splashwell to your tank.
Rig up a switch or clamps to connect your pumps wires to the your battery for power and ground.

You can also take a look at my current set up, might give you some ideas.
http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=983;u=7859
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

christianbrat

I put the screened inlet and pump at the bottom and the sprayer at the top. Angling it to swirl the water helps a lot.  Once it's full it won't move, so I've never strapped it down
Built not Bought

Fisherdv

Quote from: christianbrat on July 23, 2021, 07:25:46 AM
I put the screened inlet and pump at the bottom and the sprayer at the top. Angling it to swirl the water helps a lot.  Once it's full it won't move, so I've never strapped it down
How do you fill and drain the tank? To drain, do you just disconnect the top hose, put over the side, then turn the pump on?

I've been procrastinating a good live bait setup for a few years now.  :facepalm: My temporary solution is a cooler with an aerator. It works, and keeps anchovies alive all day, but only if I launch at LL and only get about 2 dozen anchovies.

christianbrat

Quote from: Fisherdv on July 23, 2021, 07:53:48 AM
Quote from: christianbrat on July 23, 2021, 07:25:46 AM
How do you fill and drain the tank? To drain, do you just disconnect the top hose, put over the side, then turn the pump on?

I've been procrastinating a good live bait setup for a few years now.  :facepalm: My temporary solution is a cooler with an aerator. It works, and keeps anchovies alive all day, but only if I launch at LL and only get about 2 dozen anchovies.
It fills with a few scoops of a bucket and empties the same way, or sometimes I just dump it out (but im cheap and save my extra bait and freeze it for crabs.)
Built not Bought

AJFishin

On my trash can I added a cooler drain plug kit and also sealed it with some Boatlife. At the end of the day I would let it drain in the bilge and out the drain, same way I drain my tank I have now.

christianbrat

Quote from: AJFishin on July 23, 2021, 10:26:54 AM
On my trash can I added a cooler drain plug kit and also sealed it with some Boatlife. At the end of the day I would let it drain in the bilge and out the drain, same way I drain my tank I have now.
Thats a really good idea. im going to try that out
Built not Bought

AJFishin

Quote from: christianbrat on July 23, 2021, 12:49:54 PM
Quote from: AJFishin on July 23, 2021, 10:26:54 AM
Thats a really good idea. im going to try that out

This is the one (Igloo part # 24011) was what I used off of an old cooler and it worked for me. You can see it here in this picture when it was on my now bait tank.  Then one day I accidently kick it and that was the end of it, so I redid it.

I have since switched over to a 3/4-in x 1/2-in dia threaded male hose x MIP adapter fitting with a brass lock nut with 1 rubber seal washer (inside), added sealant to it for redundancy, and a hose cap. This has been a better drain

Fisherdv

That's a nice looking setup AJ!

AJFishin

Quote from: Fisherdv on July 23, 2021, 02:22:23 PM
That's a nice looking setup AJ!

Thanks Fisher, just a little bit of trial and error to get it just right. I'll be doing the same in my SC17 clone  :jester:

Wiley

I'm with FisherDv on the procrastination. I've even gone so far as to check stock at Home Depot for the same can Christianbrat uses. Nope. Still haven't done it... Dang it !
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

croaker stroker

Did you guys notice AJ's chum chunker..?  They work great for most species in So. Cal.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Quote from: croaker stroker on July 23, 2021, 08:46:32 PM

Did you guys notice AJ's chum chunker..?  They work great for most species in So. Cal.

How does that one work? Smash bait down with the top?

I used to always catch more fish when I would hang a sack of chum off the back of the boat. Bait fish will surround the boat. Makes it really easy to catch live bait. May even get a few curious visitors  :circling_shark:

AJFishin

Quote from: croaker stroker on July 23, 2021, 08:46:32 PM

I was inspired after seeing CS's chum cutter, greatest little contraption I made and have.
Has worked fantastic for cutting chum for fishing and stuffing my lobster bait tubes. Worth the small amount of time in making it, plus it fits nicely in my aft boxes and out of the way when I'm not using it.
I made mine out 1/2" cutting board and SS screws. Lay the sardines inside, put the top on to hold them down, stick your knife in the slots and start cutting, makes chum in no time!

croaker stroker

Something about the square chunks that some fish (like tuna and yellowtail) get excited about.

I think it looks like a billfish has slashed through a school of sardines and the tuna come along to clean up the aftermath.  :shrug9:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

Quote from: croaker stroker on July 24, 2021, 12:34:17 AM

Something about the square chunks that some fish (like tuna and yellowtail) get excited about.

I think it looks like a billfish has slashed through a school of sardines and the tuna come along to clean up the aftermath.  :shrug9:

Besides throwing chunks overboard, I'll stuff some pieces in a laundry bag that I buy at the dollar tree and hang it over the side. It makes for a great way to catch macks with a Sabiki and it rings the dinner bell for some other fish to come and check out what's going on. :gone_fishing:

Fisherdv

My buddy caught his biggest Halibut ever on a small piece of cut anchovy.