News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Is a ProMariner ProSport 6 amp battery charger enough?

Started by BayWolf, June 19, 2021, 10:05:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BayWolf

I have a ProMariner Prosport 6 amp Battery Charger.  I would like to install it on my duel battery (with ACR) system  Will this be sufficient to keep the batteries topped off/maintained if I leave it pugged in when in the garage?

"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

Fisherdv

2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

ATGEP

Depending how you have it wired, you may need to keep the battery switch on to charge the battery not connected to charger.

fishmeister

Although a different brand, I have a 6A charger installed.  It works fine.
1981 Sea Hunter (Oldest Arima on the forum??)
'22 Merc 60hp, '21 Merc 9.9 Kicker
1996 Lund WC12 (A tin can that wants to be an Arima)

Diablo

I have a proSport dual battery charger it kept my AGM batteries charged of 6 years. I bought replacement AGM batteries and then had the old ones tested and they tested good so I kept them for a electric trolling motor I have on 14' boat.
So bottom line, hell yea it will work.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

BayWolf

Quote from: ATGEP on June 19, 2021, 05:47:07 PM
Depending how you have it wired, you may need to keep the battery switch on to charge the battery not connected to charger.

Thanks guys...

Shouldn't the ACR combine the batteries depending on charge needed?

I will have the charger on the + and - posts of my start battery.   The grounds are tied together and the + on both batteries is going to the ACR.

So, it's essentially the same thing as having the Motor sending a charge to the start battery and then depending on the ACR to combine as needed for charging.

Or is this wrong thinking...?
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

fishmeister

Quote from: BayWolf on June 19, 2021, 08:38:43 PM

Thanks guys...

I will have the charger on the + and - posts of my start battery.   The grounds are tied together and the + on both batteries is going to the ACR.

So, it's essentially the same thing as having the Motor sending a charge to the start battery and then depending on the ACR to combine as needed for charging.

I have dual batteries.  But, I'm running a conventional Perko manual battery switch.  So, I'm probably not the best one to ask about connecting.  However, I am confident that having the negative terminals connected together is normal for a dual battery setup.  The switching (whatever type you have) is done with the positive connections.

In my manual setup, I have the charger connected through the battery switch.  This means that my charger will charge whichever battery that I have selected (or both, if selected).  I am aware that, in my setup, if I have both batteries selected, I will only get 3A per battery.  However, the only time I'm likely to do that is over the winter.  3A of charge per battery is fine for maintenance.  I typically run one battery at a time thus being assured that I have a good spare, if needed.
1981 Sea Hunter (Oldest Arima on the forum??)
'22 Merc 60hp, '21 Merc 9.9 Kicker
1996 Lund WC12 (A tin can that wants to be an Arima)

Fisherdv

Quote from: fishmeister on June 19, 2021, 09:34:03 PM
Quote from: BayWolf on June 19, 2021, 08:38:43 PM

Thanks guys...

I have dual batteries.  But, I'm running a conventional Perko manual battery switch.  So, I'm probably not the best one to ask about connecting.  However, I am confident that having the negative terminals connected together is normal for a dual battery setup.  The switching (whatever type you have) is done with the positive connections.

In my manual setup, I have the charger connected through the battery switch.  This means that my charger will charge whichever battery that I have selected (or both, if selected).  I am aware that, in my setup, if I have both batteries selected, I will only get 3A per battery.  However, the only time I'm likely to do that is over the winter.  3A of charge per battery is fine for maintenance.  I typically run one battery at a time thus being assured that I have a good spare, if needed.
There may be an issue with charging both batteries as described above. If both batteries are connected in parallel, and one battery reaches full charge, and the other is still charging, there is a possibility of over charging one of the batteries.

I prefer to run a dual bank charger. One bank to each battery so both batteries are charged independently. That eliminates any potential problems. My 2c.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

DevMah

Baywolf
IMO
Most of the single bank chargers issues were discussed on your previous post.
http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=21068.msg249118#msg249118

Promariner, Guest, BlueSeas... are all good chargers.

As long as they are multi stage and automatic no issues.

Dev

2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold