Author Topic: "Don't Mess With GPS" -- an update from BoatU.S.  (Read 960 times)

Online DARRYL T HUBBARD

• Coho
  • Arima Sea Ranger 19' ~ Honda BF130 4-Stroke
  • View Gallery
"Don't Mess With GPS" -- an update from BoatU.S.
« on: April 19, 2012, 05:18:24 PM »
I don't think BoatU.S. will mind me repeating this news update here...

...this is definitely something we should watch -- and be glad that they are watching/fighting too!

Go BoatU.S.!!!  And long live GPS!!!

Old No7

From BoatU.S. Trailering, Spring 2012

LightSquared Back to Square One

In one of the biggest challenges to recreational boating safety in recent years, BoatU.S. scored a victory in the battle to protect the GPS spectrum that boaters depend on -- but the war may not be over just yet.  In February the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), which regulates use of satellite transmission airwaves, told a private company with nearly $4 Billion invested in its start-up broadband wireless network to stand down.

The company had conditional approval to build the system, with 40,000 ground stations, but only if its transmissions would not interfere with GPS signals.  Fearing that's exactly what would happen, BoatU.S. engaged thousands of boaters across the country in a "Don't Mess with GPS" campaign.  Subsequent government tests confirmed those fears, showing "harmful interference issues", and FCC rescinded its permissions.

"The February decision proved a victory for all GPS users but LightSquared is not giving up", said BoatU.S. President Margaret Podlich.  "We have to remain vigilant to protect the system that so many boaters depend upon."  For more information on the GPS issue go to: www.BoatUS.com/gov
"A bad day on an Arima, is better than a good day at work!"

Offline finfinn

Re: "Don't Mess With GPS" -- an update from BoatU.S.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 05:37:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing this, Old NO 7. We all need to keep an eye on these stories and everything else that might impact our boating and fishing. Some of the news will be good - progress is being made all the time. This case was not obviously one of those. Like my friends in the salmon season meetings say: "If you are not at the table, you are on the table". Thanks again agent 7 :bowdown:.
Had a glorious SR19 Finnesse.
You can not change the length of your life, but boating does increase its width and depth.

Offline wedocq

Re: "Don't Mess With GPS" -- an update from BoatU.S.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 10:30:21 AM »
I am sure it was more than BoatUS opposed to this. GPS has been integrated into so many parts of everyday living that a new system that interfered with it would never be allowed. I know at UPS, our whole dispatch system would go south w/o GPS.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki DF175 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.