News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

found a boat I'm interested in but have a concern...

Started by Caston, April 18, 2012, 10:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caston

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/2964435026.html

19' 1995 Arima Sea Ranger with full enclosure. 96 150 HP Mercury 2 stroke, 1996 9.9 HP Mercury 4 stroke kicker, 1996 EZ Loader Trailer with bran new AXLE, brakes, bearings and tires.
Boat is a fishing machine. ez steer, cuddy port a potty, Hummingbird FF ++++ a few other items.

He's asking $12,345 (kinda weird right?). At that price if the boat is clean I would think I could re power it and still come out with a good deal. Unfortunately a new motor would be a couple years down the road.  :hoboy: My question is does anybody have any idea what sort of fuel use (mpg's) I would get running a moderate speed, 20-25mph, with the Merc two stroke it has now?  
'94 Sea Chaser 17
'97 Honda 90
'99 Honda 8
everyone goes home

xplorz

My best guess would be between 3.0 and 3.5 mpg running around 20~24 mph. In a recent MPG thread, Strokersquid reported 2.9 with a 100hp Merc but stated he was running pretty hard one direction. New motor technology should double that in any brand.
'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.

Caston

Thanks xplorz! I just saw that thread. I also found a thread on ifish that compared a 115 4S to a 150 2S. They claimed at 6000 rpm they were burning 10 gph with the 4S and 16gph with the 2S. I found this to be an interesting comparison because ideally I would looking for a 115 4S. 

I did call the guy and left him a message and would really like to take a look at the thing before the weekend. Does anyone have any advice on things to look for?
'94 Sea Chaser 17
'97 Honda 90
'99 Honda 8
everyone goes home

Threeweight

If possible, spend the $$ to have a marine mechanic inspect the engines.  When buying a boat, even an Arima, at least 50% of what you are purchasing are the engines.  Don't fall in love with the hull and settle for crappy, expensive to repair (or worse, replace) motors.  The compression test a mechanic will do is critical to understanding how healthy a two stroke is.

If you can't get it inspected, ask for a test run on the water.  You want to see if the engines start and idle properly, then you want to see if the main gets up on plane, runs at speed, etc... properly.  Running it in the driveway on muffs is better than nothing, but a major leap of faith (some problems, like poor compression, only really appear when the engine is run under a load).

Beyond that, look at the batteries to inspect the quality of wiring (poor wiring jobs may not be a deal breaker, but will mean more $$ and work to do right).  Look at the hull, including the bottom, for signs of past repairs, or major blistering (neither is a deal breaker, but good to know).  Make sure all the electronics, switches, pumps, etc... actually works.  Look at the canvas... are the windows cracked/cloudy?  Mildew?  Again, not deal breakers, but more $$ to make right.

Also, go over the trailer with a fine tooth comb.  Do the lights all work?  How much rust is on it?  Single or double axle?  How recently were the bearings serviced?  Are the Bearing Buddies full of grease or empty?  Look at the back sides of the rims... see any grease on them?  That is a sign of bad bearing seals.  Does it have brakes?  Disc or drum?  How do they look?  How does the couple/actuator look? 

Sounds like it could be a decent deal, but don't go in with your heart set on buying it.  Be prepared to walk away at any time... many other boats are out there.  And haggle hard!
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Caston

It's in the water ready for a test run and I have a comp. tester I can take along. I am concerned about corrosion as it sounds like it has seen a lot of service in salt water along with being moored.

If I make an offer I'll add that it's contingent on inspecting the hull and trailer once it's out of the water.

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a close look if he calls back! 

And I'll try not to get too excited over it. Might need to take someone more objective along.  :beerchug: 
'94 Sea Chaser 17
'97 Honda 90
'99 Honda 8
everyone goes home

woody

Caston

Pretty much agree with what Steve is saying. Looking at it trailer is single axle (OK for that boat), but inspect.  Fish tray +. Looks like at least 2 DR swivel mounts, poss 3? + but check to see if DR are part of the package.  Top looks original but the good looking fit all around tends to show good shape because those will shrink and you have trouble snaping, doesn't appear to be the problem.  Kicker is a good deal (about 90% of fishing in these waters is on kicker).  Main needs a good look, either 2S or 4S as Steve suggests. Remember it takes a lot of gas to equal the cost of a 4S so a good 2S is often the lesser of two evils (price being the 1st).

I know you are salt water concerned but that trailer has been babied.  No obvious rust in the likely places (fenders, etc. and on spare which is flat and holds water).  The hull on trailer looks great with ?bottom paint? vs. contrast paint.

The price makes it worth while looking at. Get a friend (especially an Arima friend) for 2nd view point.  Any fisherman besides an Arima owner can help with engine, electronics, etc. If you can, your wife's inspection and approval will put you miles ahead in the long range.

Woody

Caston

The wife has given her approval. If I can get a time to look set up I may solicit a more knowledgeable pair of eyes for an objective opinion. I'll offer a decent meal (not fast food) to anyone interested when I have a time.  :food:
'94 Sea Chaser 17
'97 Honda 90
'99 Honda 8
everyone goes home

woody

Brian ... there are tons of guys (Steve, (Dave), Danno, etc) more qualified then me, but give me a call if I can help out.

Woody

Caston

Thanks Woody. I wouldn't expect anyone from Portland to make the trip to Seattle with me but will keep you posted. 
'94 Sea Chaser 17
'97 Honda 90
'99 Honda 8
everyone goes home

Seattleflyfisher

when do you plan on going to see it? anytime this week. You will need to act fast on this kind of price.  Call and get over there!

Darren
425 285 8169

Caston

I left him a message first thing this morning and am waiting to hear back. I'm hoping to go tomorrow or Friday after work, Saturday or Sunday anytime. I'd go tonight but I'm on shift at the fire station.  :shrug9:
'94 Sea Chaser 17
'97 Honda 90
'99 Honda 8
everyone goes home

SR17inBC

Caston...if you can put the boat on the trailer and you're satisfied with the hull, check the engine compression and leg...AND INSIST ON A SEA TRIAL!. If you're satisfied with the sea trial I would snap it up. I have a '91 SR 19' HT with a 91 90hp Merc, and would say the 90hp is just slightly less power than I would prefer, so the 150 is more than ample. I had an SR17 previously and the extra 2 feet does make a difference! There's pros and cons to the HT, so it's hard to go wrong with the soft top setup. Good luck...keep us posted!
'91 SR19 Hard Top

woody

Brian, if you can get something together be sure to give SFF a call for help.  Darren knows about as much as anyone on this site does about Arimas.  If he can't make it I'm sure he'll guide you in the right direction. I've seen guys on this site go all over to assist.  Often a member in the area will meet up with you.  (Dave), 3Wgt, Finn have all gone the extra mile to help look at boats in the PDX and Tacoma areas for members who were a bit far away.

Woody

Caston

No luck yet. He did try to call me back yesterday evening but I missed the call, cell service at the station is spotty at best.  :hoboy:

Trying again today... 
'94 Sea Chaser 17
'97 Honda 90
'99 Honda 8
everyone goes home

Seattleflyfisher

When you leave your message make sure you are telling him you are coming to get the boat. From my history of buying boats your call has to stand out from the other tire kickers.

My  :twocents:

Caston

I told him I'd like to see it, when I call back maybe I'll mention I have cash in hand.

I have a list of questions I'd like to ask him as well,

Motor:
Does he have an idea of the hours on it?
Is there any corrosion?
Does it have pwr trim?
What is his range?
Electronics:
Age?
GPS?
I see it has an antenna, does it come with radios?  
Hull:
Any damage?
Trim tabs?
Seat configuration?
Any extras, downriggers, etc. ?

Anything else I should ask before going to see it?

edit: at $4.00+ per gallon maybe I should ask how much gas it has in it.  :jester:
'94 Sea Chaser 17
'97 Honda 90
'99 Honda 8
everyone goes home

Seattleflyfisher

ask as little as you can on the phone. Get in front of the boat and ask as much as you can there.  The problem with Arima's is that they can sell fast. They want a quick sale and that's it. BUT getting to see the boat is the priority.

Call until you get to see it. I bet there are others trying to get to the boat as you are. I know it sounds weird but this it the time either you get it or you lose it.

Just my  :twocents:

Enniberg

Caston, I can confirm that although the strategy that Darren is proposing may sound a bit over the top, it is the only way to go.

I have been through it many times with Arima boats - they get listed, owner gets swamped with calls, and unless you gave him the impression that you are the one with cash in hand, ready to do the deal, he will likely not bother.

Don't ask too many questions on the phone, just tell him you have cash in hand and that you can be there within a few hours - don't delay! This will give you a good shot at getting the boat if you like it - and you can still walk away if you don't like it.

Good luck!

johan
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. (unknown)

Caston

Ok I left another message. All I said was sorry I missed his call but I am serious about buying the boat and would like to talk about a good time to come see it.

Fingers crossed...
'94 Sea Chaser 17
'97 Honda 90
'99 Honda 8
everyone goes home

Danno

For safety sake, never say you'll have cash in hand. Say that you have the funds to pay cash. Never go to a sale with the cash. Maybe a deposit of say $500 and then have the seller follow you to your bank for the rest so that you can meet in a public place with security of your funds.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Caston....it's time! Trust your Instincts and go get her. I wouldn't worry too much about fuel consumption on that 150. It probably has the the 48 Gal main and if your lucky, (2) 10 gal side tanks. Photos look pretty good and all is workable. Price looks fair....Cleaning her up and repowering with a good used 4 strok main motor you'll have something to value near 20K.
Good luck to you.... J. W.
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Seattleflyfisher

Let me know if you get to see it. I will try to get over to see it with you.

Darren

Caston

Finally connected with the seller but the boat has been sold. At some level I am disappointed but it aint gonna get me down tonight!

Thanks for all the advice, it will be put to use at another time!  :beerchug:
'94 Sea Chaser 17
'97 Honda 90
'99 Honda 8
everyone goes home

GoodDays

when the right one comes it will happen !!!!

GoodDays Greg

woody

OK Brian ... now that you have a permanent set of turn outs .......

Any change in your days off??

Woody