News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

How many have MMSI

Started by croaker stroker, February 08, 2011, 08:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker stroker

I am just wondering how many of us have a MMSI (Maritime Mobile Service Identity) number. 

If a lot of members have the numbers, I thought it might be a good idea to suggest some way of having a list of members and numbers. Kind of like a telephone list. So that members can locate each other while on the water.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Enniberg

Great idea CS :applause:

I had MMSI on my previous Arima, the one I have now does not have a VHF yet, but it will soon.
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. (unknown)

StreamFixer

My MMSI is current

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Threeweight

Uh, might be a good idea to explain what the heck a MMSI is....

A MMSI # is a unique number that registers your boat, it's size, appearance, equipment, who you are, contact info, etc... with the US Coast Guard.  To take advantage of it, you need a DSC (Digital Selective Calling) capable radio, and have it wired into your GPS/chartplotter.  If you get into trouble on the water and press your DSC emergency button on the radio, it begins transmitting your current GPS coordinates and your MMSI #.  The nearby Coast Guard stations will get that signal, and their computers will be able to plot your location and instantly have the key details they need about you and your boat.  

Good explanation of VHF radios, MMSI, and DSC here:

http://www.boatus.com/husick/techno01_07.asp

You can sign up for a MMSI code for your boat here:

http://www.boatus.com/MMSI/

The newest radios take this a step further, with something called AIS (Automatic Identification System).  When wired to your GPS, they transmit info about your boat and its location at all times, and other boats with similar radios pick up this signal and plot your location on their GPS (and vice versa).  Better still, you can plot the location of big freighters and other commercial traffic on your GPS, and they can plot your location on theirs.  Kind of a poor man's radar to avoid getting run over in the fog in shipping lanes.

Good write up on AIS here:

http://www.boatus.com/husick/techno05_05.asp

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Danno

My handheld has DSC so I have an MMSI.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

croaker stroker

I have a Standard Horizon radio. Acording to the instructions, I need to go to the "address book" in the radio and log in the name and MMSI number of the person that I want to call or request a location.

I have never done this before because I don't know anyone's MMSI number. (even my son's)

There is a public Directory for MMSI numbers called http://www.mmsispace.com/ but I was thinking of a more selective directory for Arima owners.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

dixiefisher

I got mine last year.....I just can't remember it off the top of my head..... :biggrin:
Paul Touchton

Threeweight

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on February 09, 2011, 09:09:17 AM

I have a Standard Horizon radio. Acording to the instructions, I need to go to the "address book" in the radio and log in the name and MMSI number of the person that I want to call or request a location.

I have heard a lot of tuna fishermen use this feature.  On the higher-end radios and GPS's, it allows you to identify "buddy boats" and plot their current location on your GPS.

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Danno

You yocals can get an MMSI number from Boat US here:  https://www.boatus.com/mmsi/
The number for my handheld is 338075801.

This thread was a good reminder for me to erase my other number which was tied to the Arima I sold a couple years back. I should have emailed the info to the new owner so he could take over the account and not have to burn the last MMSI registration on the VHF radio's chip. They usually will accept a second one but need to be sent back to the factory to erase the first two once they been used up.

I also needed to delete the vessel info from the handheld because I won't be on that Arima again.

It's interesting that the MMSI require a registration number when DSC also comes on handhelds and may be in any number of boats.

croaker stroker

http://www.youtube.com/v/b3UhzETSTsQ

http://www.youtube.com/v/gmkxJy9Bxkk

Well, that didn't work the way it's suppose to. but if you click on the link, you'll see the video.

<SeaChaser>Fixed it for you. Now I nbeed to write a tutorial</SeaChaser>

Thanks. I got it now.  :biggrin:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

SRanger

Since I need a VHF radio anyway...SH GX2100 seems to be the all in one solution.  Will be getting MMSI number once all is installed and the detonator hooked up.  Can not imagine cruising Puget Sound without DSC and AIS!   Never knew about any of this stuff until joining this board:)
99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)

Seattleflyfisher

This is on my number 4 list to do after the new motor, newer windshield and now the new bow rail next week. I agree that this board is helping with my to do list and the knowledge here is awesome.

Thanks Guys!

corky12

How would you verify or check that your  dsc is working properly?

Danno

You can ask the Coast Guard for a radio check and usually, if they see you have a position with your hail, they'll respond with your position. If not, ask them to go to channel 22 and they will likely oblige you there.

Even simplier, hail a buddy that has DSC as well but you'll need to make sure your radio is setup to transmit your position to everyone. I think the Coast Guard sees it all even when you set your radio to not broadcast it.

Ski2sea

Before going for the SH gx 2100, all should know that SH GX 2150 will be replacing the 2100.  Both are DSC and AIS (receive only on the AIS) equipped, but the 2150 allows a baud rate connection to your plotter that does not require an expensive multiplexer.  I ordered my 2150 this morning and plan to connect to a Lowrance HD-7.  This was on a telcon recommendation from the helpful folks at SH who suggested waiting for the 2150.  

Will order up the MMSI soon.

Ski2sea-Port Angeles

StreamFixer

No reason to wait to get your MMSI.  All that does is enter you into the data base.  After you get your radio installed, you have to enter the MMSI into it.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Threeweight

I have an older Icom 304 I got cheap when Boaters World went under in Portland... works great, but only has basic DSC (no AIS, no ability to plot other boats DSC calls on the chart plotter or track buddy boats).

It's a low priority upgrade for me, but at some point I wouldn't mind something a little newer (particularly for the Class D receiver). 

--- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

Mine is an older DSC radio also. You can still locate a buddy boat.  The Lat./ Lon. appear on the radio if you have his MMSI number in the address file of your radio.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

SRanger

Ski2Sea appreciate the info!!  Thas what I'm talkin about...this forum is great.  Save hours of research and gets me pointed down (or close to) the right road so I can do the due diligence, become semi educated, better equipped and on the water faster and safer:)  Heard the 2150's are not easy to find after the recent boat shows here and on the east coast.  Wish Icom would compete at this price/feature point.  Thxs
99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)