News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

1988 OEM Seat Pedestal Questions

Started by SoCalAngler, February 21, 2021, 03:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

I have a 1988 SS with the OEM seat pedestal and OEM seats.  They are Tempress seats.  I have a few questions.....

I would like to change out OEM seats for the new standard Tempress Probax...(Fishing Probax if they will rotate to face rear).  If Fishing Probax do not rotate, the standard Probax (if it will rotate).

I attempted to raise/lower seat and inner tube was frozen.  I used some Kroil and spread the lower section slightly (where handle / bolt clamps /tightens inner tube).  I was able to free it.

1.  Does the inner tube have a stop that prevents it from being fully removed?  I have been able to raise it several inches but it appears it will not come up any higher.  I wanted to remove it to clean and lube so it is easy to raise/lower as needed.

2.  The inner tube, onto which the seat mounts, is 2.5" diameter.  Most seat mounts I have found are 2-3/8" diameter; unable to source any that are 2.5" diameter.

3.  How can I measure to ensure that the Tempress Probax seats will rotate to face rear?

NOTE:
MY OEM Tempress driver's Seat:

It has a built-in seat mount with a 2 7/8" pedestal hole and a plastic bushing that reduces it to 2.5"  Never seen a seat with a built in seat mount/spider.

Thanks!

1988 Arima Sea Sprinter; '98 Honda BF50hp
1988 EZ Loader Galvanized Roller Trailer
Located in......?

SoCalAngler

Perhaps the 2.5" OEM pedestal is this reason I see pedestal mods here on this forum.....can't find seat mounts that are 2.5"????
Located in......?

AJFishin

You have the same seat set as my 87 SC17 and I'm glad you brought up these questions because I'll be at this crossroads myself soon, I figured it would be a simple swap.
I'll go out to my SC16 in a little bit and see if my newer Tempress seats in there, that have the 2-3/8" Springfield mount, will work on the OEM pedestals on my 17.

Edit: I checked out my seat mount and if it wasn't for the black cap inside the seat mount, it seems like it would fit. I tried to see if it would come out, but SOL.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

AJFishin

AJFishin

Found the 2-7/8" seat mount for less, $32.79. I just purchased this one, so I guess I'll see if it works, if not they say easy returns. :jester:

https://www.boatid.com/springfield-marine/trac-lock-2-7-8-swivel-seat-mount-mpn-1100021-l1.html?singleid=859693652

SoCalAngler

AJ, thanks for the posts.  You're going to have a 3/8" difference (too large) between the pedestal and that mount. 
I wonder if it's possible to remove 1/8" from that plastic  spacer on the 2 3/8" mount to fit the 2.5" pedestal?  That's only 1/16" all around.

BTW....Is your pedestal 2.5" in diameter on the SC17? 

Perhaps the 2 3/8" pedestal did not become standard until after 1988?

We have to solve this....otherwise we will be changing out pedestals....OR just keep the OEM seats!
Located in......?

xplorz

In my 89 SC17 it has the 2 3/8" pedestals. A few years back I bought some much newer OEM Arima seats from Beancounter. I used Wise 2 3/8 sliding locking seat mounts p/n 8WD375. Been working great!
'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.

SoCalAngler

xplorz....do you know if your pedestal were changed out at some point to the 2 3/8" pedestals?

Do your pedestals look like mine?  My OEM one is adjustable and the bell base is a pretty large diameter.
Located in......?

AJFishin

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 24, 2021, 02:15:05 PM
AJ, thanks for the posts.  You're going to have a 3/8" difference (too large) between the pedestal and that mount. 
I wonder if it's possible to remove 1/8" from that plastic  spacer on the 2 3/8" mount to fit the 2.5" pedestal?  That's only 1/16" all around.

BTW....Is your pedestal 2.5" in diameter?

Are you saying that the 2 3/8" mount fits your SC 17 but not the SC16?  Being so close in years, I wonder why the pedestal is larger on the 16 vs 17?

I bought the mount knowing it was going to be bigger, but my post WITHOUT the plastic cap adapter is 2.5" but with it, it's 2-7/8". My is hope with using the white plastic adapter, it should work.

The black plastic cap inside the 2-3/8" mount "looks' like it could come out, but it's a very tight fit and I didn't want to try and persuade it out till after giving the mount I purchased a try.

Are you saying that the 2 3/8" mount fits your SC 17 but not the SC16?  Being so close in years, I wonder why the pedestal is larger on the 16 vs 17?
No. I replaced my storage box seat with a new Springfield pedestal and mount in my SC16 about 3 years ago.

SoCalAngler

AJ....Does your pedestal on the SC17 look like mine?  Mine is adjustable.
If adjustable, like mine, are you able to slide it completely out?

And yet another two options.....(slim chance on this one IMO).......is our pedestal base hole pattern is the same as a new one, ex., Garelick, Springfield, etc

OR

A 4" alum sleeve that could be tack welded over the 2.5" pedestal leaving a 2 7/8" end?  This would be an alum tube/sleeve with 2.875 OD and just over 2.5" ID (to slide over the 2.5" existing pedestal tube).
Located in......?

SoCalAngler

[/quote]I bought the mount knowing it was going to be bigger, but my post WITHOUT the plastic cap adapter is 2.5" but with it, it's 2-7/8". My is hope with using the white plastic adapter, it should work. [/quote]

Is that using two plastic adapters...the one on the OEM seat and the one on the new 2 7/8" seat mount? 
If so, are you concerned about lack of rigidity using two plastic spacers, especially considering the force/leverage placed on them?
Located in......?

martin3

Springfield still sells the same pedestal,   it matches perfectly to the 6 hole pattern.
Look for the "Clipper" model.
MJM3

1990 SR Skip Top  "Gypsea Soul"
2013 Etec 115H.O.

SoCalAngler

martin3,   Oh man that would be GREAT! :party017:  I don't want to get my hopes up, as I am never that lucky!!  Nothing is ever simple!!

I'll check their website....I checked Garelick but they did not list hole pattern dimensions
Located in......?

AJFishin

I measure the caps across and my seat set up would be like in the below picture with caps on with the new mount. Springfield offers a spacer cap, I did not purchase that. The cap you see in the above post picture, inside the mount, is the one I mention it would be difficult to remove, which I think it's glued in.

Your pedestal looks like mine and is adjustable, but I have yet to try to see if it comes out, I can try this evening.

SC17

When I removed my storage box seat out of my SC16, there were predrilled holes, I'm assuming from Arima, that matched up to my new pedestal I purchased. I did buy the "clipper" model, BUT it does say, "ABYC Rating B Fishing boat seats designed for use at speeds not to exceed 5 mph", but I've had no issues in the last 3 years. :jester:

SC16

SoCalAngler

Quote from: AJFishin on February 24, 2021, 03:42:25 PM
I measure the caps across and my seat set up would be like in the below picture with caps on with the new mount. Springfield offers a spacer cap, I did not purchase that. The cap you see in the above post picture, inside the mount, is the one I mention it would be difficult to remove, which I think it's glued in.

Your pedestal looks like mine and is adjustable, but I have yet to try to see if it comes out, I can try this evening.

SC17

When I removed my storage box seat out of my SC16, there were predrilled holes, I'm assuming from Arima, that matched up to my new pedestal I purchased. I did buy the "clipper" model, BUT it does say, "ABYC Rating B Fishing boat seats designed for use at speeds not to exceed 5 mph", but I've had no issues in the last 3 years. :jester:

SC16

So, that last pic is the new Springfield Clipper that bolted directly to OEM pedestal hole pattern?  Was that pedestal identical to the SC17 ones?
Is the white color below pedestal base sealant or starboard spacer/adapter (last pic)?
As martin3 mentioned, perhaps the Clipper pedestal base hole pattern will also fit our older OEM pedestal base hole pattern (as in your first pic).  If it is.......problem solved!!
Located in......?

martin3

They might be hard to find now......but the 9" Clipper base matches up.
Check the Scratch and dent section at Springfield page every few days......or ebay.

If anyone wants it,    I have an extra Tempress seat with the fixed 2 7/8 mount. (same as Socal Angler described)
I replaced both of my seats......so I can donate to anyone who needs it.

MJM3

2013 Etec 115H.O.

AJFishin

My pedestals move freely up and down, but stop and won't come out, must be a lip on them. Another thing I noticed is, they hit the deck when put all the way down, nothing stops them.

https://vimeo.com/516482046

So, that last pic is the new Springfield Clipper that bolted directly to OEM pedestal hole pattern?
Yes I was able to bolt it right into the existing holes on my SC16 deck.

Was that pedestal identical to the SC17 ones?
When I purchased my SC16 it had 2 storage box seats, no pedestal.  Back then I posted the question to why there were pre drilled holes under my storage box seat. I believe the response was, there was a factory pedestal installed prior.
So I can only assume the PO removed the pedestal and bought the storage box seat.

SC16 before installing a pedestal.

Is the white color below pedestal base sealant or starboard spacer/adapter (last pic)?
It's Boat Life Life Seal sealant.

As martin3 mentioned, perhaps the Clipper pedestal base hole pattern will also fit our older OEM pedestal base hole pattern (as in your first pic).  If it is.......problem solved!!
I think you will be golden, but if the seat mount works and you're able to get your posts to slide freely up and down, 2 mounts cost less then one new pedestals, just my 2 cts

If you do remove the pedestals and if it's anything like it was when I removed my aft pedestals, althought different then the front pedestals, they were sealed in really good. I ended up using a long flathead screwdriver hammered in to pry under the pedestal and then I pushed the pedestal to lift it off the sealant.

SoCalAngler

eAJ, yes my pedestals now slide up/down freely.

Question:

Did I understand correctly.....you purchased a new seat mount but without the plastic bushing/reducer?  If so, wouldn't that mean that the alum socket portion is over 3" in order to accommodate spacer and reduce down to 2 7/8"?  With the spacer installed the socket is 2 7/8".....then you wuld need to install that spacer OVER the OEM bushing which is also 2 7/8"? 

If you are using two spacers:

Please let me know if the mount you purchased works with the two spacers (OEM white one and new one that comes with new mount).  If it does, and appears SOLID, I may go that route.  I agree, I would save on one new pedestal (I have a storage box on passenger side).

My goal is to add two Tempress Probax seats.  I contacted Tempress and they said that my seat and the Probax have the same turning radius...12". 
Located in......?

SoCalAngler

Quote from: martin3 on February 24, 2021, 04:42:03 PM
Check the Scratch and dent section at Springfield page every few days......or ebay.

If anyone wants it,    I have an extra Tempress seat with the fixed 2 7/8 mount. (same as Socal Angler described)

martin3,
are any of these the ones you are referring to....  I'll need to contact Springfield tomorrow and get screw hole pattern dimensions

https://springfieldgrp.com/product-category/fixed-pedestals/2-3-8-series/clipper-fixed-height-pedestals/

Located in......?

AJFishin

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 24, 2021, 06:26:55 PM
eAJ, yes my pedestals now slide up/down freely.

Question:

Did I understand correctly.....you purchased a new seat mount but without the plastic bushing/reducer?  If so, wouldn't that mean that the alum socket portion is over 3" in order to accommodate spacer and reduce down to 2 7/8"?  With the spacer installed the socket is 2 7/8".....then you wuld need to install that spacer OVER the OEM bushing which is also 2 7/8"? 

If you are using two spacers:

Please let me know if the mount you purchased works with the two spacers (OEM white one and new one that comes with new mount).  If it does, and appears SOLID, I may go that route.  I agree, I would save on one new pedestal (I have a storage box on passenger side).

My goal is to add two Tempress Probax seats.  I contacted Tempress and they said that my seat and the Probax have the same turning radius...12".

I might be confused, wouldn't be the first time  :jester: or maybe I'm being confusing.

The new Springfield seat mount I purchased, from my understanding, will except a 2-7/8" pedestal and already has a "glued" in bushing. My SC17 pedestal measures exactly 2-7/8" across. I'm now assuming the new seat mount should fit right on top of the white OEM bushing that I already have.

The reason I said I did not purchase an extra bushing was my Springfield "clipper" came with a 2nd bushing that sits on top of the pedestal.

Then inside the seat mount is, what I would call another bushing, which I'm referring to as an "extra" bushing that seems to be glued in place, inside the seat mount.

Now we have a mystery to see if this whole thing works once I get the new mount on Monday. :jester:

xplorz

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 24, 2021, 02:45:12 PM
xplorz....do you know if your pedestal were changed out at some point to the 2 3/8" pedestals?

Do your pedestals look like mine?  My OEM one is adjustable and the bell base is a pretty large diameter.

Here are what my 2 3/8 pedestals look like:

They are different than yours, but I assume mine are original from 1989. But I have only owned the boat since 2012.
'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.

SoCalAngler

AJ, thanks for the clarification and detailed pics and info.  Yes, my hopes are that the new seat mount fits right over the white bushing.  If it does, then I will purchase the same one and order me some new seats!!

BTW....are you using Tempress seats, and if so, which model?  Happy with them?  Will they rotate 360 degrees or do the hit starboard side of boat?

I am considering the Tempress Probax.

Thanks!
Located in......?

SoCalAngler

xplorz,
Thanks for the pic.  Interesting in that your inner tube enlarges near top. I'm assuming the top is 2 3/8"OD and lower portion ID is less than that. 

I was thinking a similar upper tube for mine... if the seat mount situation doesn't work.  Although since my lower base tube has an ID of 2.5", I would need an upper tube that is 2.5" OD and top portion at 2 7/8" OD.     
Located in......?

martin3

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 24, 2021, 06:32:19 PM
Quote from: martin3 on February 24, 2021, 04:42:03 PM

martin3,
are any of these the ones you are referring to....  I'll need to contact Springfield tomorrow and get screw hole pattern dimensions

https://springfieldgrp.com/product-category/fixed-pedestals/2-3-8-series/clipper-fixed-height-pedestals/

Yes,    that is the Clipper base that matches up to the original bolt pattern.
Measure your current pedestal to be sure of the size.
They sell both 9" and  10" size......and they look very similar.

MJM3

2013 Etec 115H.O.

AJFishin

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 25, 2021, 08:34:36 AM
AJ, thanks for the clarification and detailed pics and info.  Yes, my hopes are that the new seat mount fits right over the white bushing.  If it does, then I will purchase the same one and order me some new seats!!

BTW....are you using Tempress seats, and if so, which model?  Happy with them?  Will they rotate 360 degrees or do the hit starboard side of boat?

I am considering the Tempress Probax.

Thanks!

Yes but I have the Tempress navistyle high back seats and I love them, so comfortable and easy on my back.

The only issue with mine are, they will not rotate 360, but I have to lower them and rotate them under the controls or partly fold down the back and swing them around. But my normal sitting height puts the seat cushion just under the control, so it's not a big deal to me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001U7NXME/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_EJK3NDMDE62Z1K06WCYG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1