News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Welding cable

Started by theSaltyPuddle, May 09, 2012, 12:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theSaltyPuddle

I was speaking with an electrician at work about moving my batteries forward.  He suggested I try welding cable as it is much cheaper than awg 1 and can carry much more current as it is composed of many more finer wires.  Any one want to weigh in?  Thanks.

Sent from my HTC
1985 SC 17, 2017 Mercury 90Hp

vxhatch

2001 22' SeaSport Sportsman

croaker stroker

I agree with VX.

The salt/acid will eventually corrode the connections to the lugs. Using tinned wire (or tinning yourself, then shrink tube w/adhesive/sealer to keep out the elements.)

I always try to get the solder to melt and go up under the wire sheath.

Ancor makes some good self sealing shrink tubing.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

ak-angler

As a general rule, I would agree with VX about using tinned cable on a boat. But, the power cables that came with my new DF90A aren't tinned. And, welding cable is good stuff. It's got really heavy duty insulation, and the higher number of thinner wire strands keep it very flexible for its size. The main problem I see with using it as a battery cable is making good connections with the terminals, unless you've got access to a pretty big terminal swager, or decide to use bolt-on style automotive terminals instead of ring terminals.
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

Threeweight

Google Greg's Marine wire.  You can get quality tinned marine wire for about the same price as welding cable.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

ironass86

I am a Certified Welder,  Dont use welding cable on your boat,  It will  cary current VERY well however!!  it WILL NOT  handle being in a wet enviornment,  stick with marine grade!!  the Skin on welding cable is not meant to be water proof,  ( I pull my hair out at times dealing with crappy lead)   :doh: