News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Fuse Size Question for Safetyhub

Started by uwjberg, January 21, 2021, 11:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uwjberg

Hi all - more newbie electrical questions here.
I'm mid-stream in rewiring my 19' Sea Ranger.

Here's my wire sizing question thread and background of how I'm setting this up:
http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=20070.0

I'm about to install the battery switch, Safetyhub 150, and ACR. In doing this, I'm considering the fuse selection for the AMI fuses in the Safetyhub. I'm reading through this Blue Sea article on fuse selection:
https://www.bluesea.com/support/articles/Circuit_Protection/1441/Part_2%3A_Select_a_Fuse_and_Fuse_Holder_For_Your_DC_Product_Installation

I'm stuck a little bit here. I plan to have two 8 AWG runs from the Safetyhub. One to a fuse block and switch panel, and one to a fuse block that will run the GPS/FF, VHF, etc. If I'm reading the article correctly, the first consideration is the maximum value. Reading the chart I have approximately a 13' run of duplex 8 AWG (so I'm using the 25' spot on the chart). That suggests a 15A fuse if I use the 3% voltage drop (which I assume I should use?).

The second consideration is the minimum amps for the draws on the circuit. If I add up the total amps of each product I come up with 16.9 amps for each fuse block. The article suggests multiplying that by 125%, so 21.1 amps. More than the maximum I came up with?

The question is, should I be using the 3% voltage drop reference? If I use the 10% voltage drop for the maximum, it would be a 40A max, and a 21.1 minimum, meaning a 30A fuse would work for each run.

Am I looking at this correctly?

DevMah

The max for AWG 8 is 60A outside the engine room bundled wires as you are running duplex.
You min calculation of 21A is correct.

So 21A being the minimum and 60A being the max gives you a fuse of 40A in the middle.
Fusing has nothing to do with voltage drop, it's based on 125% load, the max value the conductor can handle, and meeting the mid point of the two.
Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

uwjberg

Dang it - I was looking at the wrong chart. I see where you got the outside engine room amp rating. I feel a bit foolish now.
Appreciate the response Dev - once again saving my bacon.