News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Oregon lead ban?

Started by Tesoro, January 14, 2021, 08:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tesoro

2009 21HT Yam 150/8 'Hogfish'

I'd rather be drinking in a bar wishing I was on the ocean, than be on the ocean wishing I was in a bar.

croaker stroker

I guess I don't disagree with that.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Tesoro

I dunno but how can lead pellets on the ocean bottom affect our health or fish?  curious. I understand in birds and varmints where they get eaten and the lead is ingested up the food chain acting as a poison.

I'd rather be drinking in a bar wishing I was on the ocean, than be on the ocean wishing I was in a bar.

disposable

that's 100% correct to my understanding (i mean, the ocean part). i believe lead in the ocean oxidizes very quickly, most of us have seen that white dulling/crust on the lead, and that crust is a really solid seal against reactivity of the lead. and the ocean is basic (acidifying, but still strongly basic), so the lead doesn't really dissolve into solution. there are giant lead deposits along coastlines and i think also on the sea floor, so i'm not sure that our contributions make much difference... i mean, our contributions from shot/sinkers. i've been really close to this discussion for a long time (i'm a member of a gun club with a long-term forest service lease and we just had some huge lead negotiations/research/discussions. i teach environmental science. i make about 20,000lbs of sinkers each year as a side business) and it's my understanding there is no appreciable lead toxicity via lead sinkers/shot in the ocean.
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

Tesoro

I am an ex treasure hunter. I have a 1600's 5lb sounding lead that came off a shipwreck that is 100% intact. I have jars of lead musket shot of the same era that is in the same condition. For what its worth...

disposable

lead IS dangerous and we SHOULD be super careful with it. perhaps the shot/sinker industry has other impacts that are deemed harmful, aside from our part (dropping the lead), and maybe those impacts are the reason for the bill... i'm willing to incur discomfort for the greater good, i just hope there's at least one reasonable person within the machinations of government... i know that a similar bill in CA didn't get through to law, and even though it's a major hassle for me, i do think the ban on lead hunting projectiles makes sense...
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

Hunter

In CA, their primary method for trolling for salmon on party boats is 2-3 lb lead balls on a sinker release..    There must literally be thousands of tons of lead on the bottom outside the Gate..    If CA doesn't think it's a huge toxicity issue, then it's probably not..    I do remember as a kid biting on split shot to attach to fishing line....   Now that was brilliant!     :doh:
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

croaker stroker

Quote from: Hunter on January 14, 2021, 09:40:46 AM
   I do remember as a kid biting on split shot to attach to fishing line....   Now that was brilliant!     :doh:

I did that too.....maybe that explains it ?  🤪

...it says "in the waters of this State" l assumed they meant inland waters.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

Nope...  Includes 3 miles off shore...

For Oregon:  "Waters of this state" means all waters within the territorial limits of this state, the marginal sea adjacent to this state and the high seas when navigated as part of a journey or ride to or from the shore of this state. "

While this limit is only 3 miles, and most saltwater fishing usually occurs well outside that limit (halibut , bottom fishing, etc.) Oregon recreational fishing laws are applied at the dock.  So, I should think if you are found to have banned fishing gear onboard when you dock, the assumption will be made that you used it generating your catch, ergo.  You will than have the opportunity to make a FAT contribution to Oregon's coffers and no longer be able to use that illegal equipment (you loose license for a set period of time - usually 5 years or so, catch and boat may, or may not, be confiscated.)

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

wedocq

I could see this passing with the term "commercial" redacted. Washington and Oregon have for years catered to commercial fisherman, while leaving us sporties high and dry.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

jaunty

lead is a well known toxin.
Yes, we should wash our hands after handling those lead balls.
The problem is us fisherman need alternatives.
I use 20 oz balls for chinook fishing to keep my gear on the bottom in the columbia.
I haven't discovered a diver or any other gear that can do this.

Some alternatives are steel and tungsten. 
Both are far more expensive with very high melting points.  Tungsten is much more dense, so it would be awesome to use. Steel is quite a bit less dense, so it wouldn't be fun using a softball size ball for trolling.

I'm thinking of experimenting with some 3d printed designs for divers.I need to troll 2-3mph and keep the gear at 20-35 ft on the bottom.
Any ideas?
1986 17 SeaChaser
2018 Yamaha F90

FishAddict

I don't love the idea of losing lead in the rivers or ocean, but I don't see a practical alternative for many of our fisheries.  How are you going to get down 700 ft for species like Halibut and Lingcod?  What are you supposed to use for pipe jigs and downrigger weights?  A four foot piece of electrical conduit will be the new pipe jigs?  I understand that lead causes cancer in the state of California or at least thats what every fishing package I have ever purchased says.  I know my favorite Arima group lead pour spatter sweatshirt hasn't caused me any harm :stirthepot:  I'm wondering what scientific studies have been done on the effects of the small amount of fishing lead in our rivers, bays and ocean are on the fish?  I think Shawn is right these sorts of rules will get put on the sportsman and the commercial fleet will get an exception.  How is a commercial salmon trawler going to run his gear with out those giant lead balls and the tuned black box on the wire.
21ft Sea Ranger w/Yamaha F150

Tunacious

I grew up in Tillamook on the Trask River.
We would spend part of our summer days searching the bottom of fishing holes with a snorkel.
We would find a lot of lead.
I suppose these deposits of lost sinkers grow over time.
With kids not getting out as much as use old timers I suppose nobody is cleaning up these lost treasures.
As a commercial fisherman I can't imagine how a guy could get by in some fisheries without lead.
As a sport fisher not being able to use lead would be a huge problem but maybe not impossible.

StreamFixer

It is my understanding California legislature (arguably the most environmentally sensitive west coast state) considered similar legislation not too long ago --  and rejected it.

To my knowledge there is no credible science linking lead used in fishing to contamination of fresh or marine environments or aquatic (fresh or marine) flora and fauna. 

What this appears to be is a politician trying to create an issue to bolster his (in this case) standing in an uninformed community (North/Northeast Portland). 

IMHO this is a draconian solution looking for a non-existent problem.  Of course this is an opinion addressing a political (even though fishing associated) issue.  Your mileage may vary

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Tj805

Quote from: wedocq on January 22, 2021, 12:00:36 PM
I could see this passing with the term "commercial" redacted. Washington and Oregon have for years catered to commercial fisherman, while leaving us sporties high and dry.
-Shawn

That's Intresting to me .
In Cali they do not do us small commercial fisheman a single favor or break.
Every year they make it harder and harder to turn a profit .
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

FishAddict

In WA the commercial fleet has various associations that the little commercial guys benefit from the hired lobbyist that help get what they want/need.  The sportsman hasn't done a great job in WA of uniting with it's own lobbyist.  The groups that have formed have multiple factions and generally fight against each other to some degree.  The majority of our sports season here in the ocean is determined by the Charter group association.  While it's nice to have some representation from the Charter association they don't always look out for the weekend warrior or retired guys/gals best interest.
21ft Sea Ranger w/Yamaha F150

StreamFixer

Rather than continuing down the path of how poorly Commercial VS recreational fishers are treated by our various state legislatures, perhaps we can stay focus on the issue of the Oregon legislature's consideration of a bill banning the use of lead for both sectors.

Or we can simply shut down the discussion altogether.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

wedocq

Quote from: FishAddict on January 26, 2021, 02:08:12 PM
In WA the commercial fleet has various associations that the little commercial guys benefit from the hired lobbyist that help get what they want/need.  The sportsman hasn't done a great job in WA of uniting with it's own lobbyist.  The groups that have formed have multiple factions and generally fight against each other to some degree.  The majority of our sports season here in the ocean is determined by the Charter group association.  While it's nice to have some representation from the Charter association they don't always look out for the weekend warrior or retired guys/gals best interest.

As a 31 year UNION MEMBER, I say we start our own Fisherman Union/Coalition! We can name Russ as our inaugural President.  :anyone: But I agree with you Jake, each group has their own wants/demands. A singular group for all non-commercial fisherman would be more effective, but I just don't see that happening.  :doh:
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

headduck

Almost 20 year union member... love a bit of collective bargaining.

There was an very active advocate here for a while...mind blanking, but did great work while active.

Mods. Can there maybe a section for advocacy?

It might be as used as the arima banner section, but could aggregate the discussion that's peppered around the forum...or maybe the the lack of formality is a good thing..?

:shrug9:
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)