News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

New fuel tank

Started by spinner, January 13, 2021, 10:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spinner

I would like to have some feed back on where I could go to find a new fuel tank for my 1988 17' Arima Seachaser. I have ordered a new 115HP Yamaha and would like to change out my old fuel tank. The old tank I believe is a 28 or 30 gallon plastic tank with no gauge on it. Also would like your views on aluminum verses plastic. Thanks for your help. Spinner

headduck

It seems that the tanks are difficult to come by and many have custom tanks fabbed if needed at pretty good cost.

Why do you want a new tank? Those tanks last and you could put a guage, although the best gauge is usually just a sight window cut in the aft panel in front of the tank. Reliability of the gauges are a little iffy. A good cleaning and it could be good as new.

Others have inline fuel meters that provide a very accurate account of fuel usage and tie it all together with their engine data over the NMEA network on the fish finder chartplotter.

Somebody will want your old tank if you do sell. They are hard to come by.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

ohmytodd

+1. Unless you're installing a belly tank in your floor, don't mess with the factory tank unless it's leaking (which is super rare). Your new motor will have NMEA2k connection points, just network it with your chart plotter and you're good to go. You'll get very accurate fuel usage readings, RPM, temp, etc. all on screen.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

spinner

Thanks for your suggestions, sounds like the best is to keep my old tank. The inspection cover leaks when it is to full so I will try to seal that up better and when I take the tank out to install the new motor I will mark the outside of the tank more accuratlly. Thanks

Danno

Quote from: spinner on January 14, 2021, 08:15:41 AM
... The inspection cover leaks when it is to full...

Inspection cover? The original tanks did not have an inspection plate.

That's likely your tank level dictator mounting location. Get on that has a float that goes up and down a guide post and not the long lever float type. And get the NMEA2000 compatible one and you won't need a gage if you have a modern chart plotter.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

85seahunter

Quote from: Danno on January 14, 2021, 08:46:34 AM
Quote from: spinner on January 14, 2021, 08:15:41 AM
... The inspection cover leaks when it is to full...

Inspection cover? The original tanks did not have an inspection plate.

That's likely your tank level dictator mounting location. Get on that has a float that goes up and down a guide post and not the long lever float type. And get the NMEA2000 compatible one and you won't need a gage if you have a modern chart plotter.

Danno now I am curious, I have not been able to get my fuel level to work on my new Honda smart gauge. I have it hooked to the original fuel tank indicator.  Where do I get a NMEA2k compatible pickup?
1985 Arima Sea Hunter - 2020 Honda BF60

Danno

There are units that will convert your existing resistive float sensors to nmea2000:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/35608

And ones that will replace it completely:

https://kus-usa.com/products/nmea-2000-certified/

Many manufacturers of both types. Just search the net for nmea2000 fuel float sensor.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.