Author Topic: Fresh Water Tank Full or Empty?  (Read 209 times)

Fresh Water Tank Full or Empty?
« on: January 13, 2021, 10:27:05 AM »
Hey Everyone.  First and foremost, this site is incredible and everyone is great with providing information and knowledge is a respectful manner.  Bought my first boat, 03 SR HT last spring and love it! 

I was just reading another thread on prop size and made me curious about the fresh water tank.  What are people's thoughts on having the fresh water tank in the cuddy full or empty if you are not using the fresh water for washdown?  When I bought the boat, the tank was full and has stayed full but I have been thinking of taking some weight out of the front end.  The boat came with a hydrofoil and tabs. 

Currently, I cruise at 4200-4500 at 26 - 30 mph depending on current and load.  My prop is 3 blade ???? x 19.  I have only tested WOT once with 3 dudes and fishing gear in the boat was 34 mph at 5500 rpm.

I know a different prop would make a difference in overall speed but was wondering if getting rid of the weight would make a difference to speed and ride?

Thanks everyone!
2003 19' Sea Ranger HT
2003 Honda 130
2015 Yamaha 9.9

Offline ohmytodd

Re: Fresh Water Tank Full or Empty?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 11:03:52 AM »
I prefer full to tuck the bow down a bit.

Last summer, at some point the pump switch got thrown and pumped the tank dry. Next time out I couldn't figure out why the boat handled so poorly, it was just bow slamming all day and the tabs weren't very responsive. It wasn't until the end of the day when I went to rinse reels that I discovered it was empty (at first I thought the pump went bad, but then had the aha moment when I connected the dots).

Full rides better.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, Honda BF150, 2019 Suzuki df9.9

Offline 85seahunter

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 11:28:35 AM »
I will add, I am able to slide my 75 quart Yeti cooler in the bow of SH. It makes the world of a difference in the ride when that is up there. No more bow pounding.
1985 Arima Sea Hunter - 2020 Honda BF60

Offline disposable

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 12:21:43 PM »
i think the universal consensus among ALL arima owners is: weight forward. everything you can take from the stern, and everything you can add to the bow, seems to help the overall experience. speaking for myself, i've had enough weight overall to strain the outboard, but i've never had too much weight distributed forward. in my case, shifting the weight forward makes ALL the dynamics better (bouncing, tracking, turning, following seas, head-on seas), so i'm working on a belly tank conversion next. i'm actually curious if somebody has found the "too much" point, but i really don't think i've heard someone say "it was too much and i needed more weight in the stern".

that said, i would move all 'necessary' weight forward before adding ANY ballast weight. i think it's safe to say that additional weight will always lower your gas mileage (IS it safe to say that?)
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

Offline Wiley

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 12:47:42 PM »
Full
86 c Dory 22’ new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
 Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American

Offline JDB

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 05:21:16 PM »
Agreed; full tank of water up front enhances the ride and steering response.  I've never found the "too much" but too little for me is an empty fresh water tank.

2004 21 SR Skip 2003 DF140/2004 Honda 8
                               *Bacon*

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 07:26:37 PM »
Thank you everyone!  Water stays in!  Cheers!
2003 19' Sea Ranger HT
2003 Honda 130
2015 Yamaha 9.9

Offline Salmon Hobo

• Chinook
  • “Genius: the ability to prolong one's childhood.”
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 09:21:53 PM »
Yes you can also fill it with RV antifreeze that way no concerns for colder weather..

Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle