Author Topic: Fuse panel  (Read 310 times)

Offline Liberty Call

Fuse panel
« on: January 11, 2021, 05:34:07 PM »
I'm running out of room on my fuse panel quickly.  I only have 1 open spot left.  It's kinda small. 6 or 8 spots. My next project is to install a Boss marine receiver and a USB port for the charging of the phone.

Question:  Can I just add another panel (same as the OEM) and piggy back the two together or do I need to buy a bigger panel all together.   I can go either way I guess. 

Offline DevMah

• Fisherman
  • Knowledge is the root of all good.
  • View Gallery
Re: Fuse panel
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 07:13:28 PM »
I'm running out of room on my fuse panel quickly.  I only have 1 open spot left.  It's kinda small. 6 or 8 spots. My next project is to install a Boss marine receiver and a USB port for the charging of the phone.

Question:  Can I just add another panel (same as the OEM) and piggy back the two together or do I need to buy a bigger panel all together.   I can go either way I guess.

You can piggy back (daisy chain) as long as the feeder from the battery can handle the extra load.

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger  (Tight lines)
2015 Yamaha F150
2012 Mercury 9.9 Bigfoot 4 blade
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 07:46:26 PM »
I’d rather keep it minimal and clean and run one 12 fuse Blue Seas panel.

As Dev mentioned, make sure your wire run and fuse feeding the wire run is sized appropriately for the extra load.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 07:57:27 PM by Fisherdv »
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Offline Liberty Call

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 04:47:08 AM »
Cool.  I'll look today and see what size cable I have.  I'll get back with you. 

Offline ATGEP

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 10:35:02 AM »
IMHO the factory fuse block that came on my 2010 only belonged in the garbage bin. It was a complete pile of trash. Get a Blue sea 12 circuit fuse block without grounds.  Get a blue sea ground bar (biggest they make). With minimal fuss you can clean up the factory wiring and improve reliability.

As to the feeder wire to the cabin, it is likely a single 10 gage wire which is marginal for most of us.
Easiest way to check current capacity is with the battery charger off:

A:check the battery voltage,
B: with all cabin circuits off check voltage at fuse block
C: turn everything on and check voltage at fuse block

b-a should be within .1 or .2 Volts checking no load voltage drop
c-a should be within .4 volts with circuit providing no more than 3% voltage drop (important for electronics)

If B or C fails, all connections need to be checked and/or wire size to the cabin increased.

Offline davidsea

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 02:44:22 PM »
   4 Ga. power and ground from the house battery to the helm, through a Blue Seas  50A circuit breaker aft.  ALL of the fuses in the boat, except for 2 on the outputs of the battery charger, and the motor fuses under the hood, are here. No glass fuses, no inline fuseholders anywhere.  Two resettable hi-amp breakers aft at the batteries.  Easy to troubleshoot, no corrosion, no confusion - I'm done.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 02:52:30 PM by davidsea »
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda 115
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda 50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Offline Danno

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 05:13:52 PM »
LibertyCall,  keep in mind that some electronics company like Garmin will void the warranty if the original fuse is removed. I don’t like glass fuses either as DavidSea notes but I’m not going to remove it until the warranty period is over.
2015 19' Sea Chaser
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Offline mijo

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 08:20:38 PM »
LibertyCall,

I didn't really like the fuse panel that the factory installed.  The job was really organized and neat though.  It doesn't have a plastic cover to protect the connections.  I purchased a Blue Seas 12 circuit panel and will be re-wiring mine.  I really wish the factory would just charge a little more and put in a nice electrical panel.

Mijo
2021 Sea Chaser 19SC, 115 Yamaha

Offline Liberty Call

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 04:17:48 AM »
Mijo:  Mine has a plastic cover but I'll swing by Western Marine tonight and look at them. I need to add.  I'll be installing my BOSS audio system soon.  I'll change out the panel the same time.   I'm sold on Blue Sea products. 
Thanks. 

Offline mijo

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 07:18:45 PM »
Mijo:  Mine has a plastic cover but I'll swing by Western Marine tonight and look at them. I need to add.  I'll be installing my BOSS audio system soon.  I'll change out the panel the same time.   I'm sold on Blue Sea products. 
Thanks.

Arrrrghhh.  I looked at a yellowtail at the dealer mid last year and it didn’t have a cover either. Glad yours is nicer and safer for kids. I’ve noticed covid year Arimas kinda varies. When my boat was done they couldn’t get an ezloader trailer so they had to put a Karavan trailer instead. I didn’t mind it as much since the trailer came with a swing tongue which I didn’t get charged for. the Karavan trailer tongue is a lot longer than std so I don’t have to back down too far.  Also the trailer was rated to almost 4000# vs the 3100# ezloader that Was supposed to come with my boat.  My dealer said parts/accessories  are so hard to come by during covid.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 07:29:57 PM by mijo »
2021 Sea Chaser 19SC, 115 Yamaha

Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle