Author Topic: Thinking of moving, advice?  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Wiley

Re: Thinking of moving, advice?
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2021, 09:26:08 AM »
All I can think of is be grateful that most Northerly Migrating Californians come with enough subsistence to buy a humble abode !!! While most reverse migration folks come to Tap the Benefits of the Golden State...

Hmmm let’s see, recalibrating, take the I-5 North.... ok got it !!! Lol :jester:
86 c Dory 22’ new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
 Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American

Offline headduck

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2021, 07:14:24 AM »
Sequim/Port Angeles is going through it's own little boom.

Folks from all over, but mostly seattle area currently. But have neighbors from Ca, Hi, Co and few locals.

There are 2 septic designers in whole county...they call thier own shots, and a handful of civil/structural guys (1 shop plus a couple freelance).

Anybody who swings a hammer or is in any building trade, folks are busy and thier rates are high. If they are honest, no way they're available...

If you are a medical worker, there is also outsized demand.

I guess I'm saying no need to wait to retire. Never got the wait to retire thing anyway...seems like work til youre too old to enjoy life then die feeble...maybe that's just my family and friends...not for me.

Having lived in Ca, Or, and Wa...Wa wins for now. Choice wasnt based upon taxes but where I feel most content.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Offline wedocq

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2021, 12:58:43 PM »
Do you like to keep it weird? You could move to Portland and be Russ's new best friend! Just watch a few episodes of Portlandia to get my drift... :bigshock:
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki DF175 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Offline Norcalfish80

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2021, 12:36:50 AM »
Californians’ current discovery appears to be Washington- specifically Whidbey Island as evidenced by the increasing property values, and also Seattleites!
The COVID thing has driven workers on line and they’ve discovered they can live anywhere with no fear of a commute- which is all that had saved us.

I was working partially remote pre-Covid but am full remote now. I work in sales, the majority of my team at work has historically been partly or fully remote. Unfortunately, my small town's property costs are skyrocketing due to SF people moving out of the city.
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

Offline Wiley

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2021, 06:40:46 AM »
Property costs everywhere are out of sight !
10' Don Hill Pram

Offline croaker stroker

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2021, 09:42:46 AM »
Sunny California is feeling pretty good right about now.   :beerchug:

Stay safe in the winter weather.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 09:50:17 AM by croaker stroker »
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax”. 🇺🇸

Online beancounter

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2021, 05:53:18 AM »
Do you like to keep it weird? You could move to Portland and be Russ's new best friend! Just watch a few episodes of Portlandia to get my drift... :bigshock:
-Shawn
Shawn those people in Portland, at least quite a few definitely are weird. But not Russ and he has a nice little piece of paradise tucked a good ways away from them. If I had to live on the wrong..I mean left coast being Russ's neighbor would be alright by me.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 10:46:27 AM by beancounter »

Offline Norcalfish80

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2021, 07:26:08 AM »
Haha I'd never move to Portland. Place seems like a political warzone and too many crazies when I've visited in the past.
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

Offline Kimbrey

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2021, 09:41:40 AM »
Read a little bit about Seattle this morning.
Businesses are starting to leave the city.  Some not far but getting away from it.
Office vacancy rate is 12% a 5 year high.
Apartment vacancy is up to 10.4%
Murder rate rose 61%
I'm not sure where the gas tax is but predictions it could add up to $1 gallon
They're talking about a capital gains tax
What hit me is UHauls migration data.  Washington went from being the 5th most desirable to 36.

All of this mainly because of Seattle and its policies but the policies are starting to creep into other WA cities.  I haven't been in downtown proper for quite sometime but it sounds like a disaster.  We did go up on Capitol Hill (Pill hill) a bit ago to get our 1st COVID vaccine shot, we have to go back this coming Saturday for the 2nd.  I did see boarded up businesses et cetera.  Regarding the vaccine.  No reaction to the 1st shot, wife had a sore arm, I didn't.  I was kind of wondering if I'd start growing hair on my bald head...nope.  Hope the vaccine works so these cities can become more livable.  Wife went into ST. Joe's Hospital in Tacoma for her six month cancer CT scan this morning.  Kind of a surprise that they are now requiring wearing two masks at the same time.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 11:09:16 AM by Kimbrey »
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28’ Farallon Walkaround

Online beancounter

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2021, 10:49:31 AM »
Kimbrey I'm with you I couldn't live in either of those 2 cities. Oh wait I don't  want to live in any stinking city period. I'll keep my little place with a dock on the bay in BFE.

Offline Wiley

« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2021, 04:50:22 PM »
Best wishes To your wife’s healthy recovery Kimbrey....
10' Don Hill Pram

Offline ohmytodd

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2021, 05:41:43 PM »
You guys are funny with your outlooks on Portland and Seattle. As an east coast kid in the 70's and 80's, New York, Philly, Baltimore and Boston made current Portland and Seattle look like vacation paradise. If you'd ever set foot in Times Square in 1982 you would know what I mean. This is a bubble.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, Honda BF150, 2019 Suzuki df9.9

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2021, 09:46:54 PM »
I lived in Seattle from ‘78 to 2014- it is dying.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline Kimbrey

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2021, 10:33:06 PM »
Best wishes To your wife’s healthy recovery Kimbrey....
Thanks....she's been clear between 2.5 to 3 years but they have her on a 6 month CT cycle.  Nerve racking and stressful as it's the same crap that got Steve Jobs, my older brother, Aretha Franklin but her's was found very early.  Glad I retired instead of leaving for 2 months at a whack. So far we're staying in Washington but will sell the house in Tacoma once we get it ready and make the Westport place our base as we want to stay away from the city shenanigans.  Have to say Tacoma as stayed fairly quiet through all the turmoil of this past year. I think for the most part it's Seattle and Olympia that has most of the Whacko problems.  Too bad Seattle is a pretty city.  I just hope the politics in the state doesn't make it too expensive to live in the State.  Or make fuel too expensive to put in our boats.  Speaking of expensive fuel.  Ran my boat in Grays Harbor a bit as a sea trial on the electronics.  2.5 nautical miles/gal or almost 2.9 land miles/gal,   9.9 gal/hr at 24.7 knots (28.4 mph).  That was at 2740 rpm.  I think I can cruise safely at 3000 or a bit under if weather conditions allow but I don't see the need.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28’ Farallon Walkaround

Offline croaker stroker

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2021, 11:47:27 AM »

I will be praying for good CT results. 🙏🏻

"Ex Tridente Pax”. 🇺🇸

Online Fishgriller

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2021, 02:27:37 PM »

I will be praying for good CT results. 🙏🏻

Same here, thoughts and prayers for good results.  Having a son who is in post cancer treatment surveillance, I know the feeling really well.  Waiting for the results can rally be nerve racking.
2018 Sea Chaser 17, 2018 Yamaha F115

Online Fishgriller

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2021, 04:00:33 PM »
You guys are funny with your outlooks on Portland and Seattle. As an east coast kid in the 70's and 80's, New York, Philly, Baltimore and Boston made current Portland and Seattle look like vacation paradise. If you'd ever set foot in Times Square in 1982 you would know what I mean. This is a bubble.

I grew up in NYC, left in 1994.  Couldn’t agree more.
2018 Sea Chaser 17, 2018 Yamaha F115

Offline Wiley

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2021, 06:39:10 PM »
Bubble ???
10' Don Hill Pram

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2021, 12:00:00 PM »
What about stay in CA and move north to Humboldt County? Housing is way more affordable than SF Bay area or Sonoma County. Ocean, bay and river fishing options galore. Fire danger on the coast is minimal, plenty of dependable water too. Also, close to inland areas like the Trinity River for summer heat if that's your thing. With Humboldt State University in Arcata, there's a decent music, arts and entertainment scene if you're into that sort of stuff too. Small airport with direct flights to SF, LA and Denver hubs.

Or if Oregon is still on your radar, look at some of the smaller coastal towns - Brookings, Gold Beach, Coos Bay, Reedsport, Yachats. My folks lived in the Coos Bay area for 30 years after retirement and were just a few miles from Charleston harbor - albacore city in the summer time!
2000 SC17 with 2018 Yamaha 90 hp.
Home port = Trinidad, CA.

Offline Frumboldt

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2021, 03:05:18 PM »
Humboldt has it's charms and its drawbacks. I've been here 20 years and access to the ocean is really good here. Cheaper than many CA locations. Permissive  drug culture and poor mental health care are on full display. Schools are so-so at best. We are 5 hrs from SF bay area and 3.5 to I-5 Redding. Not uncomon for us to get cut off from the ouside world in the winter. Internet service is OK.
I saw a newly sold home down the street with Texas plates in the driveway. Not sure what to say about that  :shrug9: :flagwave:
89 SR 19, 89 150 merc 2 stroke

Offline croaker stroker

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2021, 05:36:28 PM »
Musical Chairs. I have seen this a few times in my life. Usually because property values are shooting up.

Lots of people wanting to move somewhere else.

"Ex Tridente Pax”. 🇺🇸

Offline Fisherdv

« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2021, 08:12:23 PM »
I have been seeing a ton of Washington and Oregon plates here lately. Looks like a reverse migration :shrug9:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Offline croaker stroker

« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2021, 08:15:36 PM »

Somebody moves out....somebody moves in.... :jester: :jester:

"Ex Tridente Pax”. 🇺🇸

Offline Norcalfish80

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2021, 07:41:52 AM »
I've thought about Humboldt. I'm a little apprehensive with the heavy drug culture as it would relate to having kids who would grow up there. Visited friends there a couple times, and plan on a trip there this year to fish Pacific halibut. Nice area, and excellent ocean access but not sure the trade off is worth it.
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2021, 08:36:33 AM »
NorcalFish80:

I understand your apprehension. I moved to Arcata in 1982 from the east coast to attend school at Humboldt State University and haven't left the area. I did both undergrad and grad school at HSU in fisheries and have operated my own consulting business since the mid 90's. There's honestly no other place, besides south island of New Zealand, that I'd really want to live. We've raised two kids here and IMO they received excellent educations - all through grade, middle and high schools. I could write a long post of what I feel are the pros and cons of the area, but if you'd like to talk more, I can PM you my cell number. Or better yet, we could talk in person and buddy boat out of Humboldt Bay or Trinidad for some Pacific halibut this coming summer!

Ross
2000 SC17 with 2018 Yamaha 90 hp.
Home port = Trinidad, CA.

Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle