Author Topic: Welcome! Introduce Yourself  (Read 206281 times)

Offline GoodDays

Re: Welcome!
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2011, 09:16:39 PM »
verchy..I am a little further North..Campbell River.. There are a few Arimas here now..

GoodDays Greg

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2011, 05:34:20 PM »
New here, but not to boats. I was born in WA state, but my dad was in the Air Force and we traveled a lot. I grew up with an outboard mechanic dad. He had retired from the Air Force in 1958 in MA, and was factory trained for Mercury, and also spent some time test driving their test Power Cats at Lake X in Florida. I remember him at the marina he worked at on Buttermilk Bay, their open house in 1959, numerous boats with 8 to 10 skiiers behind them, with 3 or four Merc's on the back. Also he was asked to be in on the gag of this new fangled unsinkable boat called a Boston Whaler, where him and other person would go out a few hundred yards off the pier, pretend to get into an arguement of where they were going, then he stood up with a chain saw, cut the boat in half, and he rowed away in the front half, and the other guy motored off in his..
1970 I graduated, went in the Army, found myself in Vietnam, manning a couple Boston Whalers, outfitted with armament, patroling the harbor; course when the commander wasn't looking we went outside and went water skiing. Afterwards, I lived in Auburn, WA and worked for Clark Boat Company which was in Kent when I started there, and they moved to NE 37Th, either in the now Arima building or the one next door.. We built San Juan sailboats. Left there in 1979, worked for Almar Marine in Tacoma, where I did the layout for the aluminum boats, clear up to the tack welding together, then the finish welder completed the boat, sent it over to the other side of the shop, and it was outfitted. Only worked there 3 months, then I got a government job, which I recently retired from, working on some of the Army Reserve Training Vessels in tyhe Port of Tacoma. In between all that I was married, had 5 children, and divorced 3 days after the youngest graduated from High School.. Was a shocker to all, but I lived thru it anyway.
So after a few more years of working, retired, moved a state south to the Oregon coast. Shortly after that I met a wonderful woman and we got married. Now that the remodel is finished, I started looking for a boat.. Phew! sticker shock..
Anyway I have a word of mouth not advertized line on a 94 16 foot Sea Explorer from second owner. When she's not in the water she's in the heated garage; buffed regularly. 1998 4 stroke Honda and a Honda kicker, all safety stuff and electronics, Turn key. Guess I'll know this weekend.
Boat will be doing some fishing, however, will also be doing some just exploring and leasure stuff, according to wife; who has agreed to let this happen if I get some sort of hard top, I'm thinking more of a "T" top, so at least I can stand while driving, and put up a clear canvas windshield between the real windshield and top, or I'm open to other options but has to be pretty solid..
WW

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2011, 06:02:08 PM »
Hi Walker

Welcome aboard.

You will love a skip tower (Arima's T top).  I doubt I would enjoy my boat as much were it not so equipped.

StreamFixer.
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Seattleflyfisher

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2011, 06:03:50 PM »
Nice to see you join our group of humble Arima boat owners. Look at my top :bigshock:

Offline Danno

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2011, 06:04:02 PM »
Welcome WaveWalker! That's a great story. I wish there was video of that BW gag. That would be great to see. I imagine a couple of dudes in their plaid shorts, long hair and thick rim glasses going at it.

I was intrigued with your comment "Shortly after that I met a wonderful woman and we got married. Now that the remodel is finished, I started looking for a boat."

I need to remodel my wife as well. How should I go about it?

Sounds like some difficult times surrounded by great times and that you came out on top.

It's great to have you here.

-Dan
Previously owned a 1998 19' SR

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2011, 06:09:41 PM »
So tell me SeaChaser,  just how much is it worth for Deb to not see or hear about the above post??? :whistle: :hoboy:

StreamFixer
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI

Offline Danno

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2011, 06:14:04 PM »
 :twocents:

Offline SRanger

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2011, 07:09:37 PM »

That was funny Dan!  Reminds me of the quote I read,  "Spent most of my money on boats and women, the rest I just wasted".

This is a great group, regardless what standard you use to measure:)  I joined a few days ago and it seems like weeks already. 
Have been entertained and informed from day one.  Am sure all new members will enjoy this Motley crew... An assorted and
 ill-disciplined group of ne'er do wells.  Welcome All.

99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2011, 09:20:37 PM »
Yea, thanks. I meant to say the remodel of the house..  :shrug9: of course a little light humor is alway nice to break the ice.. At least we don't have to break the ice to launch the boat.. I like that top, I will be inquiring about one if I actually secure the boat. Since I only have a one car garage, and wife's car parks in there, the boat will have to park beside the shed in back, so the height won't be an issue. Just need to get a good cover.. Oh yea, wife's favorite color is red, so probably any upgrading will be headed in that direction of color scheme; jokingly I told her that would be great, blend in with the fish cleaning; she didn't laugh....
I assume that Arima's two tone color option is sprayed in the mold before layup.. Well a blank canvas on the side of the boat for some graffics maybe in store.
I would use the name Wave Walker, but that is a pretty common name, which is the name of my go fast, turn left boat I got after I gave up motorcycling; that way if I crashed, I'd only get wet. Cute 10 footer single seat with a 40..
WW

Offline CanvasGuy

• ArimaOwners.com Sr. Banner Engineer
  • Fisherman
  • aka king slayer
  • View Gallery
    • Smart Custom Canvas
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2011, 09:56:38 AM »
 Hi All It's nice to be here
feels like I could type just about anything ...

well maybe not suggest a change in moderators... LOL
 All kidding aside, thanks guys for putting this forum together for all to share in the vast experiences of all these Arima
Lovers and Fishin Fools...

I intend to contribute also...if I can offer any advise or words of wisdom..
 I have reworked my 1984 16' sea chaser .. as in ....

Canvas, full free standing Bimini with zip out front clear window side windows , custom 1 zipper rear curtain , rear mooring cover,  external screening to shade front and side windows. as for seating I purchased a new helm seat By Temptress.. First thing I did was tear seat apart and replace seat foam with better foam.. then recovered back to back seats with matching vinyl  for Electronics  added a standard horizons vhf with AIS and digital antenna,Standard Horizon Chartplotter    and re-powered from older Johnson 90 to New2010 (Honda 90hp)

needless to say after a year of fishing the Straights and Pacific Ocean I can't say enough about the seaworthiness of these Arima's  I have built allot of tops over the years for proud Arima owners
all over this Area and everyone i asked about liking there Arima's  just couldn't say enough...Good...about the stability and Safety... so when I got back( 20 year respite) to looking for a boat, Arima was Top of my list
now I know of what they speak...

thanks again..
Gary Smart
SMART UPHOLSTERY
Sequim WA.98382
360-683-9560
Gary Smart
boatless  now
 http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

Seattleflyfisher

« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2011, 11:43:39 AM »
Hey Gary, nice to see you here.

Post some pictures in your gallery.

Offline vxhatch

« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2011, 08:44:51 PM »
Name is Nick. Live on the Olympic Peninsula in Sequim. I have a '84 17' Sea Ranger "Skiff Top"

Thanks for the heads up about the new site. I was wondering why it was so quiet on the other one lately.....LOL..
2001 22' SeaSport Sportsman

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2011, 09:04:03 PM »
Hey Nick

Good to see you on board   :party:

StreamFixer
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI

Offline Danno

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2011, 09:06:39 PM »
Name is Nick. Live on the Olympic Peninsula in Sequim. I have a '84 17' Sea Ranger "Skiff Top".

Welcome Nick! Get some pictures posted of that piece of Arima history.

Offline Enniberg

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2011, 09:14:22 PM »
Welcome Nick,

You do have a very rare Arima skiff top - do post some pictures please!

Johan
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. (unknown)

Offline Fish On

« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2011, 10:53:30 PM »
Hello everyone, been following the action which led me here, kind of reminds me of fishing, one boat stops to drop a line and next thing you know there is an armada.

Been looking around for a used Arima and still trying to figure out what is a good fit. I just came out of a 22.5 Campion Explorer last year at first started to look for a tin can like a Hewes (something that could also fish the Fraser). Then the next thing I am checking out Arimas and liking what I see.

Initial impression was towards a 19 Sea Ranger due its useable cuddy. Then the question of hard, skip or just a soft top. Now after reading numerous posts I am leaning towards a Sea Chaser with either a canvas or skip.  After some serious surfing and even scouring out of the way sites (only to run into a few scam bags - refuse to call them artists) there does not appear to be a lot of used Arimas out there. Beginning to think it's easier to catch fish than an Arima. The economy may be bad enough to make it tough for retailers but not so bad for Arima owners to part with their prize possession.

So the hunt goes on. Anyway, look forward to trolling around and dropping a line here there now and then.

Cheers All,  :beerchug:

Ron
'04 21 SR HT/150 Honda - Yammie T8 - Lovin' it

Offline vxhatch

« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2011, 11:07:08 PM »
Sorry I don't have any updated pictures yet. Here is everything I have right now. The boat is still being stored at a friends house and have not had time to clean it up or work on it yet  :hoboy:   Only time to buy parts and accessories for it  :party:    Hope to get started on it pretty soon. I will be posting lots of pictures once I get started. I have a new to me galvanized 2000 EZ Loader for it I hope to put under it this weekend.

Offline SRanger

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2011, 11:16:11 PM »

Welcome Vxhatch...think I may have posted photo's of your boat under Tips, Tricks and Mods.  One of the 3 was your boat for sure...I removed it.  Let me know if the other 2 photos of a Skiff top are yours and I will remove them as well.  Hopefully you would repost them under the user gallery so others can see.  Just curious if you added the top yourself or did the factory install?  Any issue with maintenance, vibration, windshield support??

Offline vxhatch

« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2011, 11:33:39 PM »
Hi SRanger,

The ones you posted were of a 16' sea explorer not mine, no problem though. As far as I know it was a factory option back in the day and Arima did the install. It seems solid and doesn't show any problem since 1984  :smile1: .   I just bought the boat back in August and haven't had a chance to take it out yet. I will also post photos under the gallery.

Offline SRanger

« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2011, 11:37:48 PM »

Good to go Nick.  Do like your setup!

SRanger / Todd

Offline wregas

« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2011, 11:40:58 PM »
hi everyone
     Well this sucks I joined the other site about 3 years ago forgot I joined. I found it again about 2 weeks ago. Now I am going to be baned and I never even got to post anything. I own a 22' hardtop with the Alaskan bulk head I also own a 15' sea hunter. I fish allot all over the coast of washington. I live in Tacoma and fish, crab And shrimp Puget sound all over.

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2011, 11:45:37 PM »
Don't worry Wregas, if the gang over here can't help you, your problem can't be fixed!

Nick, that wood in your boat is gorgeous!  Eagerly awaiting pic's from the restoration!
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline vxhatch

« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2011, 11:46:16 PM »
I think I will like the set up once complete. I plan to add rocket launchers to the skiff top and possibly radar for the foggy days in out in the straights. The only thing I probably won't like is not being able to stand up and drive on the nice days.

Offline vxhatch

« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2011, 11:50:39 PM »

Nick, that wood in your boat is gorgeous!  Eagerly awaiting pic's from the restoration!

Yeah I was very surprised with the shape it was in when I bought it. Boat was always covered and only in salt a couple times. I did however already buy 2 sheets of starboard for my old 16' sea explorer, but never installed it. So now I plan on replacing all that wood  :whistle:

Offline CanvasGuy

• ArimaOwners.com Sr. Banner Engineer
  • Fisherman
  • aka king slayer
  • View Gallery
    • Smart Custom Canvas
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2011, 05:35:48 AM »
Welcome Vxhatch,

from a fellow Sequimite..if thats a word,,javascript:void(0);
hope to see you out there on the water this year 

and let me know if I can help with your project...I have  a few ideas..that I have used on my 16 sea chaser
maybe you could stop by when I pull her out from winter storage for the big new derby in Feb.

again welcome and ..tight lines..  Gary
Gary Smart
boatless  now
 http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke