News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Sunday Funday -lake Washington perch

Started by polarbill1999, December 06, 2020, 04:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polarbill1999

Took my neighbor and each of our boys out for some perch fishing on lake washington.  Even had time to run to Coulon and indulge in chocolate shakes and bacon burgers. 
And oh boy is that new f70 sweet.

Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

BayWolf

HECK YA Brett!  Now that is a perfect day!  The smiles say it all.  Now you got me "jonesing" (did I just date myself) for a chocolate malt and a pile of fresh deep fried perch!

This world needs more Dads like you two...just saying.  :beerchug:
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

polarbill1999

Thanks Perry. 

The perch fishing on lake washington is a no brainer and they are pretty dang big.  Being on lake washington can be fun as well.
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

Crackerbox

Ko Ho

Nice! Perch are delicious. The Marina looks pretty empty. I take it Kidd Valley burger is still at Coulon. Is Ivar's still there?
2006 17 Sea Chaser, Twin Yamaha 40's

Scottjohnson59

I was out there Saterday, it was windy in the morning died off in the afternoon. I haven't been doing well on the cutthroat think I may have seen perch sitting on bottom in 65 feet of water how deep are you folks fishing for them this time of year?
Scott in Milton
19 Sea Chaser skip top 1994
150 Yamaha 2019 9.9 Yamaha 2020
Furuno Radar and Never Again Garmin electronics

flatwater

I had a friend suggest perch on Lake Sammamish on Sunday, but I had to decline to help someone move.

Any tips on fishing for perch on lake WA? My first instinct would be to look around 10-30' of water off of points and docks and such, maybe using a slip bobber with something like powerbait or worm on a small jig. But I've never really tried going for panfish other than from my kayak. Can you troll for perch?
'89 Sea Sprinter, 60hp Yamaha 2-stroke, Tohatsu 8hp kicker

polarbill1999

Quote from: Ko Ho on December 07, 2020, 07:00:59 AM
Nice! Perch are delicious. The Marina looks pretty empty. I take it Kidd Valley burger is still at Coulon. Is Ivar's still there?

Yes and ivars is still there. 
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

polarbill1999

Quote from: Scottjohnson59 on December 07, 2020, 08:57:13 AM
I was out there Saterday, it was windy in the morning died off in the afternoon. I haven't been doing well on the cutthroat think I may have seen perch sitting on bottom in 65 feet of water how deep are you folks fishing for them this time of year?

70-75' so you could be right
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

polarbill1999

Quote from: flatwater on December 07, 2020, 09:18:57 AM
I had a friend suggest perch on Lake Sammamish on Sunday, but I had to decline to help someone move.

Any tips on fishing for perch on lake WA? My first instinct would be to look around 10-30' of water off of points and docks and such, maybe using a slip bobber with something like powerbait or worm on a small jig. But I've never really tried going for panfish other than from my kayak. Can you troll for perch?

We fished in 70ish feet of water both times we have gone out. We ran into someone anchored last weekend who gave us the lowdown.  He said 71-73' I think.  We are in front of the Seahawks training facility maybe a couple hundred yards to the north in that 70 feet of water.  Tie up a dropper rig with 2 hooks tied on short (3-5") leaders at 6-8 and 12-18 inches above the dropper weight.  We used chunks of might crawlers and perch.  Hit bottom and just kind of lightly bounce bottom. 

Yesterday was a little harder with the south wind. We had to anchor or run the kicker backing into the wind to slow our drift.

Picture is the general area. You can see the Seahawks paractive field to the right. 
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

flatwater

Quote from: polarbill1999 on December 07, 2020, 10:11:04 AM
Quote from: flatwater on December 07, 2020, 09:18:57 AM

We fished in 70ish feet of water both times we have gone out. We ran into someone anchored last weekend who gave us the lowdown.  He said 71-73' I think.  We are in front of the Seahawks training facility maybe a couple hundred yards to the north in that 70 feet of water.  Tie up a dropper rig with 2 hooks tied on short (3-5") leaders at 6-8 and 12-18 inches above the dropper weight.  We used chunks of might crawlers and perch.  Hit bottom and just kind of lightly bounce bottom. 

Yesterday was a little harder with the south wind. We had to anchor or run the kicker backing into the wind to slow our drift.

Picture is the general area. You can see the Seahawks paractive field to the right.

Awesome, thank you for the insight! That sound like a great way to spend a winter day. I'll make sure to wave at any Arimas I see when I get out there.

Just bought a new anchor system that I need practice with as well, and getting some time hunting for perch sounds great before I try using it for anything in salt water or on a river.

'89 Sea Sprinter, 60hp Yamaha 2-stroke, Tohatsu 8hp kicker

B-TownRanger

Funny. Had planned to take the boys out to Lake Wa on Saturday morning. Got the cover off starting prepping, but I couldn't get anyone intersted. Too cold. I should have waited a few hours, but I got busy with other project and didn't make it out. My understanding was that the perch are deeper in the winter. 65-75 sounds right. Last time out the wind was moving us too much, so I was gonna try to set anchor, but a slow drift is better for finding them. All geared up to try for Cutthroat as well. Cheers all!
1989 Sea Ranger 19 - 2004 BF150 Honda

polarbill1999

Quote from: B-TownRanger on December 07, 2020, 03:11:39 PM
Funny. Had planned to take the boys out to Lake Wa on Saturday morning. Got the cover off starting prepping, but I couldn't get anyone intersted. Too cold. I should have waited a few hours, but I got busy with other project and didn't make it out. My understanding was that the perch are deeper in the winter. 65-75 sounds right. Last time out the wind was moving us too much, so I was gonna try to set anchor, but a slow drift is better for finding them. All geared up to try for Cutthroat as well. Cheers all!

We drifted 2 Sundays ago and did better then yesterday.  2 Sundays ago there was no wind. It was glass and we could stay completely vertical while drifting.  Yesterday we were moving way to fast drifting.  We did anchor for a bit but also juat ran the kicker back into the wind for a bit as well.  Caught a couple fish both ways. It was a lot colder backing into the wind then anchored from the bow:)

I would really like to try for cuties on lake Sammamish or Washington as well.  There certainly are some benefits to fishing the lakes.  It is nice not having to wash down the boat or flush the motors.  It is really nice and peaceful on the lake as well.
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

B-TownRanger

There certainly are some benefits to fishing the lakes.  It is nice not having to wash down the boat or flush the motors.  It is really nice and peaceful on the lake as well.
And no container ships! I've finally convinced my 5yo that he will be safe on the lakes. No big waves and no sharks :circling_shark:, LOL. We took a big wake from a fully loaded container ship off Magnolia last summer and he's not recovered yet(emotionally). I'll ease him back into boating with Lake Washington this winter. Was really looking forward to Perch for dinner. Last time we brought them home my 10yo made me fry up the eggs so he could eat them :food:. YUK.

BayWolf

Quote from: B-TownRanger on December 07, 2020, 05:37:13 PM
There certainly are some benefits to fishing the lakes.  It is nice not having to wash down the boat or flush the motors.  It is really nice and peaceful on the lake as well.
And no container ships! I've finally convinced my 5yo that he will be safe on the lakes. No big waves and no sharks :circling_shark:, LOL. We took a big wake from a fully loaded container ship off Magnolia last summer and he's not recovered yet(emotionally). I'll ease him back into boating with Lake Washington this winter. Was really looking forward to Perch for dinner. Last time we brought them home my 10yo made me fry up the eggs so he could eat them :food:. YUK.

Perch eggs in scrambled eggs = Oh YA!   With salmon eggs I always face the dilemma ...  Bait or plate.
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

B-TownRanger

Shout out to PolarBill1999! Finally made it out yesterday. I've been jonesing something fierce to get out fishing. Too much boat prep to do so I left the cutthroat gear home and just brought perch rigs. Started out in the spot north of the Seahawks facility and we never left there! Brough home about 25 fish (a whopping 2lb of fillets). Pretty much nonstop action. 5-6 doubles. Probably release 25 more. With the light winds and sun, it was pretty darn nice out. I was hoping to have a really good first outing with the boys this year and this was it. I was informed that we will be alternating fishing and skiing every weekend now. Works for me! Too busy baiting and bonking to get photos on the boat, but got a few after.

polarbill1999

Awesome!  The smile says it all.

Hopefully they are around in early April.  Did you anchor or drift?
Brett
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

B-TownRanger

We drifted. I saw some guys anchoring, but the first few hours there wasn't much wind. When it did pick up it was pretty light and didn't move us too much. I didn't even bother putting out the new drift sock. My only issue was that fishing that deep, the swimbladder inflated when they came up so many of the smalls couldn't get back down. We just ate them if they floated. A few went to the seagulls.

Yachter Yat

Bill and B-Town:  Love those photos.  I needed that.  Thanks for puttin' a smile on my face. 

Yat
You'll know your married, when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)