Author Topic: Anchor nest  (Read 6958 times)

Offline MrG

Re: Anchor nest
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 07:40:50 PM »
xplors,

Here's a post I made about this when I first came on board.  I'm not sure if it would work on a 17. (depends on how far you would have to lean out the center window.

"I have a Sea Hunter and I can  do all my anchoring from inside the cabin just standing by the center window.  There is a series of pictures of my setup (not showing the anchor ball) in my Gallery.  The Miller Marine Anchor nest is the key component."  Just go to my Gallery and select  "Anchoring"  The pictures are in reverse order, sort of.

MrG

1990 Sea Hunter 15
2009 Yamaha F60

Sometimes, when the water is still and it's very quiet, you can hear the fish laughing at you.

Offline xplorz

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 07:25:38 AM »
MrG, even at 6'2" I can't reach forward enough to pull that off. The cuddy is to long to be able to reach. On an explorer that didn't have to much stuff stored inside  :biggrin: that might work thru the hatch.

When I was crabbing in the mouth of the Columbia, I had a painter line off the front cleat that I use for solo launching and loading and I leave it in place while fishing/crabbing. I wanted to chill for a while without wasting fuel so I dropped the anchor over the side in a shallow area, let out about 100' of line, then tie to the end of the painer, with the rest of the line still in the bucket on the deck. When it came time to pull the anchor, I just hand pulled from the side, untied from the painter when it came up, then pulled the rest.

Searching this site, I really like Woody's solution. It looks the safest for solo use.

Thanks for all the great ideas!  :beerchug:
'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 11:07:02 AM »
Personally, I much prefer this system:

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=146933&highlight=anchoring+arima

True, you don't anchor perfectly off the bow.  However, last summer I was able to fish just fine amidst hoglines using this, with drift socks deployed behind me to keep the boat straight (I arrived early and was the first boat in the line).  This doesn't work very well if you want to drop into a hog line and anchor in the midst of a group, but IMO a close bow boat doesn't work well for that regardless.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline woody

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2012, 12:40:03 PM »
Agree with you Steve, I also like that system.  He added that device for controlling length and I am trying a Danial Hook for the same thing.  If looped over the fore side cleat I agree pull is more in line with keel and pulls adequately in a foreward. direction  Also eliminates having to side crawl to prevent anchor line riding up the side and into your rails.

I don't think anyone with a closed bow would have trouble with this. As with all of these methods, learning curve is slight but you must take the time under controlled conditions to do a few runs and build an appreciation for protential hazards.

Woody

Offline BigMac

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 05:08:11 PM »
There seem to be modifications of the basic technique.  I have gone off of the ifish description (the link that Steve gave). Woody and Danno have see the way it's done on the "Maddy A", coming up with this by trial and error, actually a lot of errors.

Basically one needs to get a system that everyone is comfortable with--the skipper and the person(s) deploying the anchor system.  Trying to explain how to anchor from the cockpit takes a better instructor than me.  The only way I've been able to train someone is to have them watch how it's done.  It's so much different than anchoring from the bow that even someone used to the regular anchoring gets confused.

Using the carabiner to attach to the dedicated line (attached to bow and stern cleat) makes it a much safer deal for me.  Until the carabiner is snapped onto the line, there is no attachment to the boat.  Thus, if something goes gunnybags (boat turns sideways, rode gets tangled in the cockpit, etc.) the buoy, any remaining rode and the excess rode (in the bag) can be tossed overboard and picked up later by approaching the buoy from the downstream side.

The downsides--carabiner can scrape the hull, also the carabiner rests on anchor about 10 degrees off the bow (getting the rode to come directly off the bow requires a trip forward); if the boat is not in the right upstream/downstream position, a trip to the bow and readjusting the length of the rode is necessary.  Either can be problematic in a hog line, so I usually try to find another anchorage.

Hope this helps rather than confuse.

(Dave)

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 09:54:05 PM »
I haven't gotten to try it yet, but I purchased a "Danik Hook" a few months back to use in place of the carabiner.  It is a one-way slider, that should let me adjust the scope of the rope without the hassle of tying a new knot.  I will attach it to my anchor rope bag, and run the rope through it.  My hope is that it will allow me to adjust things by motoring up current slowly, picking the bag up with a boat hook, then making the rope adjustment, then re-deploying (eliminating the hassle of messing with untying the knot for the carabiner, then re-tying it somewhere else on the rope, while trying to hold position.)

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline fishorcrab

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2012, 12:27:48 AM »
There are now a minimum of three Arima PDX rats with Danik hooks that need to test the same
general theory.   Before leaving the dock, attach the anchor quick release ropes to bow eye hook
and tie in the cockpit area.

The theory is to let out the sea anchor to twice the length of the anchor quick release rope.  This
rope is about 10-12 ft long to allow its float and ring to reach the cockpit area from the bow. When
it is set, the float and ring with Danik hook attached is the same 10-12 ft in front of the bow. 
Hence the 2 times length for the sea anchor rope.

Put out the sea anchor.  Everything else is in the cockpit area where you are handling the anchor
and ropes.

The Danik hook is tied to the anchor rode bag via the small ring hole on the Danik hook. Motor
up and set anchor.  Back downstream slowly with Danik hook release squeezed open to increase
the length of anchor rode out. 

When the sea anchor reaches the stern of the adjacent boat in the hog line, unsqueeze the Danik
hook release to stop lengthening the anchor rode.  Snap the Danik hook to the quick release.

Toss bag, Danik hook, and quick release rope overboard and finish backing downstream until
you are on the hook.  Theoretically, your stern should be aligned with the stern of the boat you
measured against.   I hope you really secured the small quick release rope securely to the boat. 

Because the anchor is attached to the bow eye, the boat should be perfectly aligned in the current.

Hook fish.   Pull small quick release rope and you should float downstream away from the hog line.

Repeat as desired.

What have I missed other than the following?

How to pass the anchor rode, bag, etc around the windscreen, top, antennas etc if you carry
the anchor in an nest?  Maybe someone has suggestions.

How to deal with retrieving the anchor suspended from the float when all are upstream of the
hog line and getting the anchor back in the nest?

Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

Offline woody

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 03:10:51 AM »
Well Paul, over the past year you and I have spent time on this and the ideas you just outlined need to be tested.  I also think the "measuring line" has value.

Since decisions to work off anchor are made before leaving launch I take my anchor off and put in the cockpit prior to leaving.  Similarly when retrieved I stow in cockpit until on dry land when I remount on the bow.  The bow is simply stowage for my anchor 90% of the time.  It remains available for emergencies and yes I do have to crawl forward to utilize.

Sounds like once we have Streamfixer we need to get 3Wgt, you, (Dave) and Russ on the water all these theories need to be tested. Two or three boats will test the Hog Line line up.

Woody

Online Danno

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 06:50:16 AM »
I was never one to keep my rope bag in the water while on the hook. I preferred to keep it in the boat and would toss it first before releasing the anchor. It kept the bag and extra rope cleaner. If I need to adjust my position backward and the river bottom were too rocky to motor back, I would add a second carabiner at the new position and then motor up and reconnect at the new position. With Woody's system, you don't have to remove the first carabiner until you're back at the dock but it's easily done before you drop back. Witht he 3wt method, it would have to be unthreaded fromt he bow rope at a minimum before dropping back.
Previously owned a 1998 19' SR

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 07:34:32 AM »
Lord knows Danno, the last thing we want when fishing is a dirty anchor rope bag and dirty spare rode    :hoboy:

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'