Author Topic: Anchor nest  (Read 6966 times)

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
Anchor nest
« on: March 29, 2012, 10:11:27 AM »
Many of us have a deck locker in the bow for anchor system stuff.  I usually store my docking rope and bumpers in there.

Where I fish (Willamette and Columbia), if you plan to anchor for fishing purposes, you will need a heavy duty anchor.  We often run a 30# 'river anchor' with 10 to 20 feet of 3/8 chain on a couple of hundred feet (or more) of 3/8" rode.

So where to keep all that stuff?  The rode and chain are easy to deal with.  Put in an anchor rope bag and stow in the cuddy.  But what to do with the anchor.  It sure won't fit into the deck locker and is a pain in the butt on the deck. 

(Drum roll please) How about an anchor nest?   :doh: :applause:

This is what most boats have from the factory.  There is also a cleat between the deck locker and the bow assembly.  This is on my 17.  I had to move the cleat when the anchor nest was on the 17 in order to have sufficient room for the anchor.

This is the anchor nest assembly after installation on the 19SC.  The anchor is in place.  Woody and I have found a fabricator in Canby who does a great job and is quite reasonable.  I cannot remember the cost, perhaps Woody does?

In order to make the switch, you will have to cut a hand hole in the front of the deck locker wall in all cases.  You simply cannot get at the securing bolts any other way (even Woody's hands are too big to fit into a 1/2" diameter hole)

After installing the nest on the 19, I was please to find there was still enough room to install the cleat in front of the deck locker.  When all was said and done, I discovered I could secure the anchor to the cleat with a screw shackle.  You MUST secure the anchor in some manner or be prepared to have it come through the back window of the tow rig in a sudden stop.

This shows the anchor secured to the cleat

The battery master switch is next.

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline Croaker Stroker

Re: Anchor nest
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 10:31:55 AM »

Looking good. Thanks for the pics.   :applause:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline vxhatch

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 10:34:04 AM »
Russ,

Looks good. Can you take a picture of the hole you cut in order to get to the mounting bolts.

Thanks,
Nick
2001 22' SeaSport Sportsman

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 12:22:08 PM »
Here you go VX, a picture of the hole   :biggrin:  :shrug9:

The white across the inside of the top of the hole is the plastic flexible joint tape used where the top and bottom are joined.  There is a reinforcing cross member right behind it (only on the 19, not on the 17).  I cut the hole using a hack saw blade and lots of words I cannot post on here    :nono:  Drill a hole, cut for a while, drill another hole, rotate blade 90 degrees, cut for a while, drill another hole, rotate, cut for a while, go back to original hole, cut to meet the last cut.  Drink a beer and admire your work (you will likely need a mirror).  Hole only has to be big enough to get hand and fore-arm through while holding a socket wrench. I recommend you cut it high to maintain the max lower lip from the locker floor.  You have to have your head against the cuddy top deck (next to nav lite) to see the bottom of my hole.

I was worried about stuff in the locker going through the hole and was going to construct a patch when I did the 17.  Never got around to making the patch and never had a problem.  I suspect I will do the same with the 19 unless someone really anal sticks their head into the locker and complains in a manner that I give a tiddly wink about  :hoboy:

StreamFixer
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI

Offline vxhatch

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 12:32:27 PM »
Thanks Russ. I will be changing out my anchor nest soon and its nice to see what I getting into  :biggrin:  It would be nice if there was a deck plate installed there from the factory  :doh:
2001 22' SeaSport Sportsman

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 12:41:53 PM »
Lots of structural problems associated with putting a deck plate where the boat will be experiencing pulling stresses.  An access plate in the front of the locker would have been nice, but how many folks would use it?  These boats are expensive enough without adding to the cost installing stuff folks would seldom need or use (just geeks like you, Woody and I). 

There is a structural cross piece for the deck in this area as it is.  Be careful you don't cut it.  I did not know it was there when I cut, but not using a machine, I could feel it when pushing in on the blade (orient the blade to cut on the pull, you will be happier).  I would have used my jig saw, but could not get it into the space while making the cut.  Glad it worked out the way it did.

StreamFixer
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 12:45:31 PM »
A dremmel tool with a cut out bit could work well for this kind of application. 
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 01:24:43 PM »
 :yeahthat: :doh:

StreamFixer
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI

Offline Enniberg

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 02:10:20 PM »
A dremmel tool with a cut out bit could work well for this kind of application. 

+2

Dremel makes it easy.
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. (unknown)

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • Fly your flag proudly and thank a veteran!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 05:59:30 PM »
Nice work SF...for a rookie! :jester:

Seriously man that nest is just what I need BUT...I don't have a locker in the bow to deal with...YET.
I'm planning one though.

Terry B.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14’ Sterling
9’ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8’ Pontoon (Hood)

Offline GoodDays

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 10:25:39 PM »
I would search ot some sort of deck plate or nicely routed piece of starboard to cover the hole simply for cosmetic purposes but that is just me.. That is some serious anchoring tackle !!!

GoodDays Greg

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 10:43:36 PM »

How about a hanging framed picture of Woody to cover the hole?
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 08:03:05 AM »
Good Days:  I can't see it, it does not interfere with anything, out of sight, out of mind.

Croaker:  I would use the picture we posted for Reelist, but I have a difficult enough time catching fish.  Why chance jinxing it?

StreamFixer
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 09:35:08 AM »
Russ, can you give an idea of which direction the support goes and how far down from the underside of the deck it hangs?  Also, how far from the front of the locker is it?  Sorry for the detail request, but a couple of years ago I was sawing through some drywall with a wood handled drywall saw and found a 220 wire the hard way.
Now, I check first, saw later.  or would that be see then saw?   whatever.

Also, do you have a pic of the nest without the anchor on it?  it's a little hard to see.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:20:33 PM by markshoreline »
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline GregE

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 10:38:48 AM »
...see then saw?

:biggrin:
Greg
Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT; SL 22 Honda 225
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:  Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat;
SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 04:37:50 PM »
Here you go MarkS

Empty nest, bow-on

Side shot

30# collapsible river anchor

StreamFixer
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI

Offline fishorcrab

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 05:41:41 PM »
Russ,

What pound test wire tie do you use to attach the chain to the end of the anchor shaft?

Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 07:44:24 PM »
Russ,
Thanks for the extra pics, now I get the picture.

Did you have the nest fabricated because you could not find a premade unit?  I've not shopped for these except for looking at the bows of boats that are in my marina and there are some that kinda look like that, though don't remember the big a_ _ roller.  Is yours made of stainless?  Since I've just been tying up to docks that hasn't been high on my list, but since my wife's job is now not requiring so much travel we can get some anchor time in.  I like that, Anchor Time!

Thank you,
Mark
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 09:50:04 PM »
F or C  I use a 75# zip tie.  Likely too strong for me to break by hand.  seems to hold up when anchoring in the river, but will break when the boat pulls hard on it.

MarkS/L  The unit is aluminum and made by Gordo in Canby.  It is one of his stock items.  Check crab davits in Portland CL for his number.  He advertises there regularly.  Great guy to work with and really customer oriented.

StreamFixer
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI

Online First Cabin

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 12:19:02 PM »
I like my Miller Marine anchor nest.  Nice to have the anchor always secure up there.  Here is a picture of how I manage the ball, rope and chain.  The 5 gallon bucket is held on the rail with bungee cords.  Very secure actually...  And the ball just happens to wedge nicely between the rail and the cuddy.  It's not going anywhere.  The boat ramp is only 15 minutes away and my top speed on back roads is only 40mph so I just leave it all there during springer season.

When I'm not river fishing, I don't bring the 5 gallon bucket and ball, but the anchor stays.  I just keep an anchor rope in the cuddy for emergency use.

What you don't see in the bucket is 8' of chain in a fiberglass cover, plus a throw bag and 200' of rope.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 12:23:44 PM by ejthomp »
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Offline xplorz

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 12:42:28 PM »
OK, I'm new at this, so please be gentle. :wink:

I fished the Columbia for the first time by myself. I have the folding CR anchor, rode, ball, etc. But I found it a pain in the buttocks getting to the front of the boat to deploy/retrieve the anchor. I did it, but it wasn't purdy (or safe).  :shrug9: 

Does anyone have any hints, tips or suggestions for easy anchoring without having to get to the front of the boat?

Feel free to start a new post if you don't want to de-rail this one.

THANKS!
'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.

Online First Cabin

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »
OK, I'm new at this, so please be gentle. :wink:

I fished the Columbia for the first time by myself. I have the folding CR anchor, rode, ball, etc. But I found it a pain in the buttocks getting to the front of the boat to deploy/retrieve the anchor. I did it, but it wasn't purdy (or safe).  :shrug9:  

Does anyone have any hints, tips or suggestions for easy anchoring without having to get to the front of the boat?

Feel free to start a new post if you don't want to de-rail this one.

THANKS!

There have been several threads dedicated to anchoring an Arima without crawling up front.  

This is a good one:  http://arimaboatownersgroup.com/index.php?topic=179.0

I'm sure there are more....

I've done it both ways and I 100% agree that an Arima isn't ideal for Columbia River anchoring.  You know what has really helped make maneuvering on the bow easier for me?  Losing 50 pounds! :jester:

For me, having the anchor up front, out of the way, is worth the pain it is to crawl up there.  Sometimes I just go through the cuddy and stand in the porthole.  That works good if you're small enough.

If you are fishing alone....anchoring really is more difficult...especially if you are trying to anchor in a hogline or want to be really accurate in your line.  I've done it a couple times, but usually if I'm alone I will troll.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:23:23 PM by ejthomp »
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 01:42:48 PM »
Another system involves tying a tag line to the bow cleat that will reach a cleat on one of the gunnels.  Hang you anchor on a pully that has the tag line through it.  Problem is that it does not hang straight.  I had found where I could locate an open cleat on the bow that would result in a straight hang off the anchor, just have not gotten around to doing it yet.  I want to try Woody's solution first.

StreamFixer
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI

Offline woody

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 04:18:51 PM »
Xplorz

Search Different Approach to Anchoring under Tips and Tricks 2/6/11.

I covered my method of anchoring in the Columbia.  Note, most of us "store" our anchors on the bow anchor and will make the "crawl" only in an emeregence.  If we plan to anchor, we put it in back and work our of the cockpit.  

Once the item comes up on search, click on the heading Different Approach to Anchoring, highlighted in yellow nd the full entry with pictures and explanation will be viewable.

By the way, I'm not against loaning the set up to Arima guys to try out.

Woody
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 06:05:46 PM by woody »

Online Danno

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 05:32:17 PM »
Xplorz, anchoring the first time using one the methods we recommend can be daunting. If you'd like a tutor, I'd be glad to help you out.

-danno
Previously owned a 1998 19' SR

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.